+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's bonkers and should be kept away from the internet for his own good!
    post of the year

Once Upon a Virus....the war of words could be ramping up

https://youtu.be/bK3cIoXccr8

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post

Bit dumb of the Chinese to go down this rd trying to take the piss, when the dust settles they might be held accountable by the whole world for trying to cover it up initially.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post

Regarding wearing a mask, UK scientist's are saying there is only a marginal impact. It would be interesting to see what that is based on but would suggest wearing one is more about social politeness rather than health benefits?

"January: we discovered a new virus." January is a relatively long period of time with WHO outlining public health emergency of international concern on 30/01/2020. This video starts in 2019 so will be interesting to see if we ever get to find out what and when China told WHO and then subsequently WHO told the world.

""Chinese officials have released genome data which, they say, show that a recent outbreak in Beijing was a European strain. But some scientists are cautious over drawing early conclusions about the alleged link

Italian scientists said that sewage water from two cities contained coronavirus traces in December, long before the country's first confirmed cases.
    ""

Its always someone else's fault ,one should not forget the direct trading links the city of Wuhan and North Italy and then that connection the to rest of Europe

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/...rus-epicenter/

sorry another copy and past :

‘Don’t Kill Granny’ becomes British city’s new social distancing slogan

Go Preston go

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) met on Friday 19th December between 11.00 am and 1300 pm. Attendee such as Professors Neil Ferguson John Edmunds and Calum Semple who have all been on the news at one time or other.

The Government has now released the minutes

Main points

71% increase in transmission rate

R rate would go up by between ).39 and 0.93

In addition Calum Semple was interviewed on the BBC and said that the doubling time was 7 days with this new variant as against 12- 14 days with the other variant(s) they are familiar with.

(Hope this post meet with your approval Bob!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) met on Friday 19th December between 11.00 am and 1300 pm. Attendee such as Professors Neil Ferguson John Edmunds and Calum Semple who have all been on the news at one time or other.

The Government has now released the minutes

Main points

71% increase in transmission rate

R rate would go up by between ).39 and 0.93

In addition Calum Semple was interviewed on the BBC and said that the doubling time was 7 days with this new variant as against 12- 14 days with the other variant(s) they are familiar with.

(Hope this post meet with your approval Bob!!)
    So, what you're saying then is that your party political point scoring messages regarding Keri Starmer were a bit pointless and unjustified - Johnson and Drakeford were right to take the actions they did. I don't normally need any second invitation to criticise Johnson, but I haven't and won't over this - it's ridiculous to compliment Johnson on the one hand and then look to slag Labour off on the other when both parties have made very similar decisions.

I've just read a thread on twitter where it's being suggested Londoner's can travel just as long as they've booked a house viewing in another part of the country and can even cancel the viewing on arrival. Earlier in the week the Tory MP tried to argue that their Christmas party was in fact a business lunch.

Just how much hard work is going into getting around the guidance/rules?! Is that why the UK is currently ranked towards worst performing countries?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, what you're saying then is that your party political point scoring messages regarding Keri Starmer were a bit pointless and unjustified - Johnson and Drakeford were right to take the actions they did. I don't normally need any second invitation to criticise Johnson, but I haven't and won't over this - it's ridiculous to compliment Johnson on the one hand and then look to slag Labour off on the other when both parties have made very similar decisions.
    I never said Boris and Drakeford were wrong to take the action they did,

I was in fact criticising Sir Keir for slagging off the UK Government when not saying anything when the Labour administration in Wales does something similar. I realise he has no actual control over the Welsh government but you would have thought they would have both sung from the same hymn sheet.

And just to ( I hope) clarify things my original post which stimulated some debate to which you then responded to said

"I presume That If Keir Starmer is criticising Boris about the late Christmas change, he has also been on the phone to tell Mark Drakeford off for doing the same???

He avoided a question about the response of the devolved administrations on Sky this morning.

I don't trust either of the leaders of our two main parties at all. Different characters, both untrustworthy."

As you see no criticism of Drakeford aqnd in my final paragraph criticism of BOTH main parties

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I never said Boris and Drakeford were wrong to take the action they did,

I was in fact criticising Sir Keir for slagging off the UK Government when not saying anything when the Labour administration in Wales does something similar. I realise he has no actual control over the Welsh government but you would have thought they would have both sung from the same hymn sheet.

And just to ( I hope) clarify things my original post which stimulated some debate to which you then responded to said

"I presume That If Keir Starmer is criticising Boris about the late Christmas change, he has also been on the phone to tell Mark Drakeford off for doing the same???

He avoided a question about the response of the devolved administrations on Sky this morning.

I don't trust either of the leaders of our two main parties at all. Different characters, both untrustworthy."

As you see no criticism of Drakeford aqnd in my final paragraph criticism of BOTH main parties
    Apologies Elwood, I was wrong to include you in my criticism.

I see that the new variant was first noticed in September and so I think it's reasonable to assume that the four U.K. Governments have been aware of it for weeks if not months, so they could well have known that there may be something like what was revealed in those minutes on the way, but it was only confirmed on Friday and so I wonder if the delay in announcing new lockdowns, which I was critical of, could be partly down to a sense of "let's wait and see what the research into the variant comes up with before deciding"?

Apologies Elwood, I was wrong to include you in my criticism.

I see that the new variant was first noticed in September and so I think it's reasonable to assume that the four U.K. Governments have been aware of it for weeks if not months, so they could well have known that there may be something like what was revealed in those minutes on the way, but it was only confirmed on Friday and so I wonder if the delay in announcing new lockdowns, which I was critical of, could be partly down to a sense of "let's wait and see what the research into the variant comes up with before deciding"?
    For clarification Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England stated this morning the mutation in question was first known about in October based on a September sample. Apparently there are very many mutations in existence and each one is investigated by Public Health England and their research partners including Imperial College. As the virus progressed the task was to establish whether the increasing numbers suffering from COVID could be linked to one of the mutated virus under investigation which took some time and eventually led to the release on Friday of the results as you acknowledge.

I don't think it was a question of "let's wait and see" as more often than not the mutations under investigation have little or no effect on the virus spreading. It just so happens that they found one that affected virus transmission and that was linked to the increasing numbers and caused the government to introduce the new restrictions one day later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    For clarification Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England stated this morning the mutation in question was first known about in October based on a September sample. Apparently there are very many mutations in existence and each one is investigated by Public Health England and their research partners including Imperial College. As the virus progressed the task was to establish whether the increasing numbers suffering from COVID could be linked to one of the mutated virus under investigation which took some time and eventually led to the release on Friday of the results as you acknowledge.

I don't think it was a question of "let's wait and see" as more often than not the mutations under investigation have little or no effect on the virus spreading. It just so happens that they found one that affected virus transmission and that was linked to the increasing numbers and caused the government to introduce the new restrictions one day later.
    And for further clarification, Andrew Marr also interviewed the WHO's "technical lead" with the virus yesterday and she said they had been aware of the mutation for "several weeks". Also, a study by scientists that I can't find a link for at the moment said that the mutation was first noticed in September, while this piece from the Financial Times;-

https://www.ft.com/content/a0bef737-...3-0649dc5989a0

states that the mutation was responsible for twenty eight per cent of new cases in early November in London and over sixty per cent in the same city by the week ending December 9 - if Johnson, and the leaders of the devolved Governments, hadn't been made aware of those figures at the time, then some very serious questions need to be asked of the relevant scientific communities as to why they hadn't. Far more likely for me is that the leaders of the various Governments were aware of what was happening and yet we still got the plans for the five day Christmas "break" being announced.

This brings me on to Eric Cartman's point about how Johnson especially has talked about the pandemic. Because he's someone who, it seems, has to sugar coat bad news with a "but" which has never turned out to come to fruition when it comes to Covid, we've had plenty of big promises and predictions which have come to nothing over a period of at least nine months.

It seems pretty clear that the extent of the problem caused by the new variant only became clear on Friday and so, finally, we saw some decisive action from Johnson and his Government in announcing the plans to try and tackle it the following day - credit to them for that, but they, and, to a lesser extent the devolved Governments, were dragging their feet prior to Friday's revelation and I think that might have had something to do with the hope that the researchers would come back with something to say that the mutation may not be as bad as they feared it was.

From the Times’ Science Editor today: “There are two errors you can make in a pandemic. The first is to overact on the basis of uncertain evidence. The second is to wait for the best evidence, make a decision, and find out it’s too late.
    It is always better to make the first mistake than the second because if this mutation really does what scientists fear, then the situation is desperate.”