+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if they're effectively cherry picking results to appear better the. really we don't know what the efficacy is.
    From what I've read it was all blown out of proportion by 1 (one) journo opining bthat the US drug agency probably wouldn't approve it.
    Lets be fair, do we care if they do or not if it works.
    It is far better suited to treating the poor of the world than something that needs -70C to survive.
    The USA can do waht they like!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if they're effectively cherry picking results to appear better the. really we don't know what the efficacy is.
    Efficacy has been put at 62% and I've not come across anyone directly contesting that figure yet, the issue is with whether the 90% claim extends to over 55s and, for the moment, there's no way of knowing that.

It is unfortunate that the half dose followed by a full dose regimen turned out to be the result of a mistake, even if it was serendipity that it seems to be more efficient than two full doses! For me that immediately casts doubt over the whole trial which is a shame. If they will now have to repeat a full scale Phase 3 study with more elderly volunteers included then that is going to cause quite a delay.

Obviously the Yanks will make a meal of this as they are the greatest/best at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    The claim made by AstraZeneca / Oxford that the vaccine has 70% efficacy seems hard to justify given that figure was achieved by combining the results of 2 different dosing regimes one of which was a small subset containing no over 55s (90%) and the other a larger group which did contain over 55s (62%).

Surely the correct headline should be the vaccine has 62% efficacy but that further studies are to be carried out on a large representative population to see if the half dose then full dose regime does have greater efficacy.

Given the enormous political capital invested in this vaccine by the UK Government I wonder whether this has had the effect of pressurising AstraZeneca / Oxford to make a claim which at this point in time, according to some independent scientific opinion, does not appear to stand up to close scrutiny? A headline of 62% efficacy would not have looked great compared to the 95% efficacy claimed by the other 2 vaccines.
    You believe want the yanks are saying? They desperately want there £20 a shot one to be the one the world wants, at less than a fifth of the cost the Oxford one presents a massive threat to that. If they can achieve 90% with a lesser dose also then happy days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It is unfortunate that the half dose followed by a full dose regimen turned out to be the result of a mistake, even if it was serendipity that it seems to be more efficient than two full doses! For me that immediately casts doubt over the whole trial which is a shame. If they will now have to repeat a full scale Phase 3 study with more elderly volunteers included then that is going to cause quite a delay.

Obviously the Yanks will make a meal of this as they are the greatest/best at everything.
    Was the half dose a mistake? I thought it was part of the trial?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You believe want the yanks are saying? They desperately want there £20 a shot one to be the one the world wants, at less than a fifth of the cost the Oxford one presents a massive threat to that. If they can achieve 90% with a lesser dose also then happy days.....
    Even if it had a reliability of 60% it would still be good enough to make everything go back to normal. The two vaccines coming out with the 90%+ made everyone go a bit mad I think. Of course it'll be better if the different doses do give it a better efficiency but as long as it is safe and over 50% efficiency I'm sure it'll get approved at least in the UK and EU.

DRAKEFORD OUT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Even if it had a reliability of 60% it would still be good enough to make everything go back to normal. The two vaccines coming out with the 90%+ made everyone go a bit mad I think. Of course it'll be better if the different doses do give it a better efficiency but as long as it is safe and over 50% efficiency I'm sure it'll get approved at least in the UK and EU.
    Most people seem to be overlooking that even 62% efficacy means that 62% will have immunity to Covid and the remaining 38% will have a milder disease.

None of the people vaccinated in the trails required hospital treatment.

Also something that really annoys me is the comparison to the flu jab. The reason the flu jab is 60% effective is that they predict which multiple strains of flu will be prevalent that year and adjust the jab accordingly. The Covid vaccine is targeting one single strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Most people seem to be overlooking that even 62% efficacy means that 62% will have immunity to Covid and the remaining 38% will have a milder disease.

Also something that really annoys me is the comparison to the flu jab. The reason the flu jab is 60% effective is that they predict which multiple strains of flu will be prevalent that year and adjust the jab accordingly. The Covid vaccine is targeting one single strain.
    Good points

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    DRAKEFORD OUT!!!!
    What’s he done now? Have I got to buy a meal now when I go to the pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post

Exactly people get lost in the headlines. To get this type of vaccine which is safe and efficient approved in under a year in unbelievable. Get it to people who are in positions where they get high viral loads and people who are at risk of dying first and we can start unlocking a bit. We are so close now, another few months and we will be almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Exactly people get lost in the headlines. To get this type of vaccine which is safe and efficient approved in under a year in unbelievable. Get it to people who are in positions where they get high viral loads and people who are at risk of dying first and we can start unlocking a bit. We are so close now, another few months and we will be almost there.
    The over 85s have a 12% mortality rate if this is even reduced by half it would be tens of thousands of lives saved.

Typical....just arrange a pub visit with some mates, first time I’ve booked or been out with them since February and now he’s thinking of closing pubs to.....”save Christmas”....

An admission the Firebreak lockdown wasn't long enough?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55102867

R rate down to between 0-9 and 1 in the UK, but the rate in Wales is reported as being up to 1.4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55105285

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    R rate down to between 0-9 and 1 in the UK, but the rate in Wales is reported as being up to 1.4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55105285
    Local restrictions should be used where its high like b gwent

Apparently a pasty and chips qualifies as a substantial meal, so that shouldn't break the bank.

People to start receiving the vaccine in England in ten days time according to this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ne-rollout-nhs

People to start receiving the vaccine in England in ten days time according to this.

Interesting that the Guardian says NHS staff will be given the vaccine first. Then over 80s and social care staff.

There are 1.4 m people working for NHS, 1.6 m working for social care and 3.2m age 80 and over. With 2 jabs needed that's our first batch of 10m accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Apparently a pasty and chips qualifies as a substantial meal, so that shouldn't break the bank.
    Eat slowly because apparently you have to leave once you have finished your meal. No hanging around for a second pint.

GP practice managers in Cardiff getting ready for it too

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Interesting that the Guardian says NHS staff will be given the vaccine first. Then over 80s and social care staff.

There are 1.4 m people working for NHS, 1.6 m working for social care and 3.2m age 80 and over. With 2 jabs needed that's our first batch of 10m accounted for.
    1.4 million work for the NHS? Crikey.....wouldn’t they just do the oldies first?

1.4 million work for the NHS? Crikey.....wouldn’t they just do the oldies first?
    I doubt whether all NHS staff will be first in the queue. There are many admin staff, for example, who don't work anywhere near the hospitals and many others who work nowhere near the COVID wards which are usually in separate areas and even different buildings to the main hospital. Isolating COVID patients from the rest of the hospital (in red zones) is usually well done so it would make no sense for all NHS staff to receive priority over the over 80s. Of course those on the front line should receive absolute priority but, as for the rest, I'm doubtful whether they will qualify to receive the jab in the first wave.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I doubt whether all NHS staff will be first in the queue. There are too many admin staff, for example, who don't work anywhere near the hospitals and many others who work nowhere near the COVID wards which are usually in separate areas and even different buildings to the main hospital. Isolating COVID patients from the rest of the hospital (in red zones) is usually well done so it would make no sense for all NHS staff to receive priority over the over 80s. Of course those on the front line should receive absolute priority but, as for the rest, I'm doubtful whether they will qualify to receive the jab in the first wave.
    Justmy opinion of course. Worth nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Eat slowly because apparently you have to leave once you have finished your meal. No hanging around for a second pint.
    Book another pasty and take a doggy bag. Pasty's all week for tea.

I see one brewery have turned out a beer called "Substantial Meal"