+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say the new cases figure of just over 1,100, while not great, may be a sign of encouragement. As you say, Tuesday isn't normally a good day for the stats, so that figure may be a sign that things are improving, but it'd need two or three days of similar figures before any conclusions could be drawn. Four deaths is good by recent standards, but that figure would be the last one to start showing any firebreak influence and I fear it'll be something of a one off.
    OK yep 44 deaths reported today - must hve just been a longer than usual delay from the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    OK yep 44 deaths reported today - must hve just been a longer than usual delay from the weekend
    A bad day in the U.K. as well with 492 deaths and 25k plus new case.

My missus, her sister and another close friend were tested yesterday, two positive, one negative. The negative one lives with me..................the test was negative I mean, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My missus, her sister and another close friend were tested yesterday, two positive, one negative. The negative one lives with me..................the test was negative I mean, obviously
    Are the two that tested positive poorly? And was Mrs SP poorly resulting her in needing a test?

I hope they are all OK

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Are the two that tested positive poorly? And was Mrs SP poorly resulting her in needing a test?

I hope they are all OK
    Her sister’s neighbour and grandchildren had it (yet her husband tested negative?), the husband is disabled so my sister in law helps out. Because of the positive tests next door she had a postal test, which came back positive today, she hasn’t been unwell. The friend, who my missus goes on a daily walk with, is a care worker and a colleague she works with tested positive on Monday, so she was advised to have a test despite not feeling unwell, test positive. Even though they walk apart and in the open air my missus decided to have a test for piece of mind, result negative. Very quick getting the test, applied yesterday morning, was offered three time slots and went down the City at half twelve yesterday and received the result half twelve today, very well organised and prompt. I must admit she’s quite smug tonight, while the other two are well pissed off.

So all the positive test were on people who wee not unwell.

To me that's why the figures are used to scare the public. A lot of positive tests does not mean a lot of unwell people.

To me that's why the figures are used to scare the public. A lot of positive tests does not mean a lot of unwell people.
    Yes Mike, her sister doesn’t go out much so isolating is no big deal but, Sandra the care worker, is, understandably, having to isolate and is so pissed off because she isn’t ill at all but not as pissed off as her husband, who has to take a fortnight off work to quarantine because of his wife’s situation. It makes you think how many are not having tests because they have no symptoms and aren’t feeling rough yet a test could prove positive but it wouldn’t enter their head to have a test. Others in certain occupations who are more or less told to take a test as a precaution returning a positive despite feeling ok could be running into the thousands.

It is not the amount of cases that scare the people Michael.

It is the amount of deaths

A lot of deaths means a lot of very very unwell people!!!!

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

It is known that there are many asymptomatic cases so a lot of those testing positive will not be unwell.

Bu they are the silent killers. People catch it off them and die.

We need to be scared to be honest. To make sure we all stick to the rules and avoid passing it on.

If me or my wife get it there is a damn good chance we will die.

And that's why testing is important. Person A can have the virus and not be unwell at all. That's great for Person A. But Person A can unwittingly give the virus to his mum, who might become unwell and then might die.

We don't need testing to find out if people are unwell or not. Our bodies are already good enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

It is known that there are many asymptomatic cases so a lot of those testing positive will not be unwell.

We need to be scared to be honest. To make sure we all stick to the rules and avoid passing it on.

We're nearly a year into this thing, and people are still saying 'oh they're just trying to scare people'.

All of these governments have simultaneously decided to wreck their economies to scare people? Really?! How can some actually think that is what is happening!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We're nearly a year into this thing, and people are still saying 'oh they're just trying to scare people'.

All of these governments have simultaneously decided to wreck their economies to scare people? Really?! How can some actually think that is what is happening!
    Precisely

Inevitably though (because we saw it the spring and we've been seeing it again for a couple of months) a lot of positive tests means more unwell people and more deaths.

Nearly 500 deaths were recorded in the U.K. yesterday and almost ten per cent of them were in Wales. There

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Your right.

There are a significant amount of people saying this crap.

We all have differing personal views and health conditions/age, but to suggest we all need to be scared is subjective. Over the past 9 months doctors, Government, media, have all spent hour upon hour every single day trying to scare the population in general. The problem is the overwhelming majority haven't caught it, haven't heard of anyone they know - or remotely know of - getting it, and based on the stats - even those 'tweaked' by the two old gits - don't think they're going to get it. Worry away if you like, I'm not..

I think it’s the method they use to claim death numbers that people find dubious more than positive tests. The mass testing of a city like Liverpool will be interesting. Maybe they should do a small town like Merthyr too just to see how much it’s around really.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We all have differing personal views and health conditions/age, but to suggest we all need to be scared is subjective. Over the past 9 months doctors, Government, media, have all spent hour upon hour every single day trying to scare the population in general. The problem is the overwhelming majority haven't caught it, haven't heard of anyone they know - or remotely know of - getting it, and based on the stats - even those 'tweaked' by the two old gits - don't think they're going to get it. Worry away if you like, I'm not..
    Well, I only know about 5 people who had it, 89 year old obese Aunty caught it and pneumonia in a care home in April, she’s also diabetic and she survived. A mates mother, in her 70’s with COPD caught it on a hospital visit, mate thought she was a goner but she pulled through. Also know a guy mid 40’s who caught it and was rough for a few months but not ever really ill initially. It’s a strange one and maybe that’s what scary

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Some people do worry for their own health and not just themselves about the health of others. I worried when my elderly mother in law in a care home caught it. She actually had the diagnosis 2 weeks ago and had no symptoms at all throughout. I worry about my parents in their 70s getting it, friends relatives with underlying health conditions.

Yes its subjective. A lot of people worry though and not just about themselves.

So all the positive test were on people who were not unwell. To me that's why the figures are used to scare the public. A lot of positive tests does not mean a lot of unwell people.
    Not sure that's the best choice of words, Mike. You sound like David Icke.

As Elwood rightly says, it's the deaths figures that are scaring the public the most, and while they can be manipulated in terms of their presentation, they can't be altered. The fact of the matter is that, up to and including 16th October, there had been 55,092 more deaths in the UK during 2020 than the five-year average, and there's little doubt that figure will rise significantly during the next couple of months.

Considering you're apparently sceptical about the effects of this virus, I'll share my experiences with you:

Up until a few weeks ago, the only person I knew personally who'd had a positive test was one of my closest friends in work. She lives with a relative who is a care worker. The relative tested positive in July during a routine round of tests at her workplace, but showed no symptoms of any note. My friend, however, began to feel constantly exhausted and lost her sense of taste, so she got tested and was also positive. Her symptoms passed within a couple of weeks and she continued working from home throughout.

About a month ago, a colleague's son, who's in his early-twenties, began to feel unwell. He got tested, was confirmed as positive and was confined to bed feeling very rough for a week or so. The rest of the family got tested as a matter of course and my colleague, her husband and her father all tested positive. My colleague lost her sense of taste and felt a bit tired, but was otherwise OK. She was well enough to continue working from home. Her husband was quite poorly for four or five days, but recovered fairly quickly. However, her father became seriously ill soon after his positive test, was admitted to hospital within four days and was dead within a further five days. He was 73 and had no known major health problems.

The week before last, another colleague's daughter was feeling poorly and tested positive. She's 8 years old. Her best friend in school was also ill and had tested positive a few days before she got her positive test result (she had to be tested twice as the first came back inconclusive). This particular colleague has been a part of a voluntary NHS testing programme during the last couple of months and has been paid a few quid to have the whole family tested weekly. He tested positive at the same time as his daughter, as did his wife. I've been away from work this week, but the latest I'd heard from him during the previous week was that the little girl was still unwell but recovering, he was feeling fatigued but was otherwise OK (he's one of the fittest people I know) and his wife was in bed feeling very ropey.

To me, the most interesting / scary thing (delete as applicable) about this virus is the range of symptoms people are experiencing. I'm sceptical about some of the measures that have been put in place by the various governments to combat it and I don't believe we can carry on living like this for much longer, but there's no doubt whatsoever that it's a very difficult situation to deal with, especially given the seemingly random nature of the effects it has on different individuals.

This virus seems very unpredictable. Ive also heard stories locally of incidents as above.

I also know far more people now who have had it.

The strange one is its going through my mother in laws care home and the last id heard none of the elderly have become very ill and she was symptom free. I know a carer needed hospital treatment but shes recovered.

It will be interesting to see how the Liverpool mass testing pans out. At the moment there seems to be a few people who are perfectly fit & well yet if tested would be positive. When my missus was applying for the test she put down that her sense of taste was gone, it hadn’t but she didn’t want to be refused a test as well she wanted reassurance as people ‘indirectly’ close to her (if that makes sense) had tested positive. Whether she would have been refused a test we don’t know. It’s worrying that ‘positive’ fit people could be unknowingly passing the virus on. But would the country grind to a halt after a mass testing programme meant that thousands of fit folk had to isolate through testing positive? It’d be a test of mental health isolating for a fortnight without so much as a cough or a sneeze. What a dilemma?

Yes. I wonder what happens if say the number of positives double,treble or quadruple.

Track and trace isnt working now.

Its got to be the way forward though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes. I wonder what happens if say the number of positives double,treble or quadruple.

Track and trace isnt working now.

Its got to be the way forward though.
    I agree. However, test and trace relies on people following the quarantine rules and there seem to be very many people who don't. An earlier survey indicated that 80% are refusing to comply. If true that's very worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I agree. However, test and trace relies on people following the quarantine rules and there seem to be very many people who don't. An earlier survey indicated that 80% are refusing to comply. If true that's very worrying.
    Be amazed at that, most people I know have done it properly

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Be amazed at that, most people I know have done it properly
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/effective...on-and-support

Extract: "Of those who reported having been alerted by the NHS contact tracing that they had been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case 10.9% reported staying at home or quarantining for the following 14 days."

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/effective...on-and-support

Extract: "Of those who reported having been alerted by the NHS contact tracing that they had been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case 10.9% reported staying at home or quarantining for the following 14 days."
    I had an alert on the app the other day, when I hadn't been anywhere and I'm the only person in the house with the app installed.
    There was a later notification saying I didn't need to do anything.