+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Today there was an old fella in lidl.no mask on, coughing and sneezing all over the place.
    Because he was so old i did not have the heart to confront him.
    Now looking back i should have do something but where were the staff.
    U was in Tesco Western avenue yesterday with my wife. She very rarely goes with me but does sometimes when she wants to cook or eat something special because its easier than her trying to explain it.
    Anyway we walked down one Aisle and there was a bit of a gentrified looking guy with his plum-in the-mouth faux-uperclass wife discussing the merits of different things. As i passed him he made a very loud comment to his wife about people not keeping to the two metre rule, so I pointed out to him that he shouldn't have the whole of his family, including 3 adult children, with him. He seemed complete taken aback that anyone should question it and looked completely unaware that he was doing anything wrong, it was obviously everyone else. i love folks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    U was in Tesco Western avenue yesterday with my wife. She very rarely goes with me but does sometimes when she wants to cook or eat something special because its easier than her trying to explain it.
    Anyway we walked down one Aisle and there was a bit of a gentrified looking guy with his plum-in the-mouth faux-uperclass wife discussing the merits of different things. As i passed him he made a very loud comment to his wife about people not keeping to the two metre rule, so I pointed out to him that he shouldn't have the whole of his family, including 3 adult children, with him. He seemed complete taken aback that anyone should question it and looked completely unaware that he was doing anything wrong, it was obviously everyone else. i love folks like that.
    If I was ever the worried shopper type, I would never go to that Tesco. I don’t know what it is exactly but SD doesn't seem to exist.

Given it’s the Guardian, the political slant taken is understandable. I happen to agree with it, but what interested me more is the opinion that the public are, generally speaking, happier to follow the lockdown rules than the media and politicians tell us they are. I’ve been following the advice about behaving as if you have the virus lately, so I’m probably not the best placed to judge, but I think the writer of this article might be right;-

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...covid-measures

New word of the Year - Covidiots
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55696558

Strange that a thread which has run to 220 plus pages in the ten months since it was started has slowed to a trickle in the weeks when the virus has been at its worst.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Penarth Beach has been like a bank holiday most weekends since the pandemic and lockdowns started so they finally closed the road on the weekend. Its ridiculous. I live half a mile away from the front and have been down there just once as can't be bothered with the aggro. A couple of the cafe/bars have been serving pints and the local gossip is people of all ages, not just the young ones are going down friday and saturday evenings on the piss, buying loads of pints and walking around with friends like their at a festival. Its taking up a lot of police resource just to monitor these dullards so it dosn't get too rowdy. Covidiots at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Strange that a thread which has run to 220 plus pages in the ten months since it was started has slowed to a trickle in the weeks when the virus has been at its worst.
    It might have something to do that there is less to criticise the government about and a reluctance to criticise Drakeford and Co for their activities in Wales. When there were issues with PPE and test and trace - and there were many justifiably - the thread was active but as things have got better the posts have dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Today there was an old fella in lidl.no mask on, coughing and sneezing all over the place.
    Because he was so old i did not have the heart to confront him.
    Now looking back i should have do something but where were the staff.
    you were in Lidl.
    they have like 2 staff who have to do everything

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Covigilante - members of the public who report covid rule breakers to the authorities

In complete contrast to a "covidiot", here is what a real COVID hero looks like:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-55563798

What an incredible lady.

Almost 152k vaccinations in Wales now. New cases at around 1,300 and deaths 20 - no doubt the final figure is down to it being a weekend, but new cases are definitely falling as is the number of tests being done and this despite it being confirmed that the new variant is now in all areas of Wales;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55704368

Covid-19 was the leading cause of death in Wales for the second successive month, new figures show.

International

We're making Delm wait to pounce on the 7000th post!

International

Almost 152k vaccinations in Wales now. New cases at around 1,300 and deaths 20 - no doubt the final figure is down to it being a weekend, but new cases are definitely falling as is the number of tests being done and this despite it being confirmed that the new variant is now in all areas of Wales;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary
    It has been uyzzling me and others for some days about the number of tests apparently increasing before now. The lab in Newpost has seen quite a dramatic drop in tests arrviving for analysis for over a week, the figure being down c 7000 tests a day. it has led some to question the connection between official figures and their own evidence. One theory is that the governemnt counts tests sent to home as a done test and that they are also counting lateral flow tests, but of course anyone posting a positive result on that should then go and have a proper swab test to confirm.
    The drop off of tests being done has prompted some to suggest a very cynical reason. As we are in lockdown not so many people are going to work. When they were if they had to go for a test it was automatically 3 or 4 days off with full pay, which may have been an incentive. One person even offered the evidence of his own knowledge that when they were busy of people coming for a test claiming one symptom or another, only 1 or 2 out of every 5 actually displayed any symtom in the test centre, the others seemed perfectly normal.

Very cynical people I think!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It might have something to do that there is less to criticise the government about and a reluctance to criticise Drakeford and Co for their activities in Wales. When there were issues with PPE and test and trace - and there were many justifiably - the thread was active but as things have got better the posts have dried up.
    I’m not sure about there being less to criticise the Government about. It was revealed today that the UK had the highest COVID death rate in the world last week and it’s worth remembering that while Mark Drakeford and the WAG are, rightly, being savaged for their vaccinations policy today , they acted while Johnson and his Cabinet, as is their wont, dithered in the days before Christmas and the price is being paid for that now.

I’m not sure about there being less to criticise the Government about. It was revealed today that the UK had the highest COVID death rate in the world last week and it’s worth remembering that while Mark Drakeford and the WAG are, rightly, being savaged for their vaccinations policy today , they acted while Johnson and his Cabinet, as is their wont, dithered in the days before Christmas and the price is being paid for that now.
    I think you're right that Drakeford has been more decisive than Boris from the off but his statement today about not using the vaccine up quickly in case staff had nothing to do was ludicrous.

It's too early to compare the death rates with other countries. Apart from issues surrounding the way deaths are recorded, there is a high probability that, when our population is vaccinated and others including those in the EU are less advanced in their vaccination programmes, the number of UK deaths could well be statistically lower even though the figures at the moment are alarmingly shocking.

You are right Drakeford acted earlier than the UK government in locking down the population but he ended his first lockdown too soon with dire consequences.

It's too early to compare the death rates with other countries. Apart from issues surrounding the way deaths are recorded, there is a high probability that, when our population is vaccinated and others including those in the EU are less advanced in their vaccination programmes, the number of UK deaths could well be statistically lower even though the figures at the moment are alarmingly shocking.

You are right Drakeford acted earlier than the UK government in locking down the population but he ended his first lockdown too soon with dire consequences.
    I assume you mean the first firebreak which I suppose could be said to be the second lockdown. Wales came out of first lockdown one step at a time every three weeks, which is what England is now talking about doing, and was uncharacteristically quick to come out of firebreak in comparison and the wider context should be thought about when identifying why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I think you're right that Drakeford has been more decisive than Boris from the off but his statement today about not using the vaccine up quickly in case staff had nothing to do was ludicrous.
    I agree it was - as someone who usually supports Drakeford's party I accept it was ludicrous.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...cases-12191659

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...vid-19-6913216

These reports show the UK has the worse death rate per head of population in the world, and UK data shows Wales has the worse in UK, so I guess Wales has the worse death rate per head in the world.

As I live in Cardiff I look at the Cardiff and Vale vaccination figures. Latest data from them says they have vaccinated 24,000 people, most of them healthcare / social workers, but also 3600 in care homes or over 80. That averages just 800 jabs a day in the six weeks since vaccinations started in Wales.

There are 36,000 people 75 or older, including 11,000 age 85 or over, in Cardiff and Vale. Vaughan Gething said on TV last night that 70% over 80s in Wales would be vaccinated by this weekend.

Looks like Cardiff and Vale will fall a long way short of target, whilst 150,000 doses sit on shelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    These reports show the UK has the worse death rate per head of population in the world, and UK data shows Wales has the worse in UK, so I guess Wales has the worse death rate per head in the world.

As I live in Cardiff I look at the Cardiff and Vale vaccination figures. Latest data from them says they have vaccinated 24,000 people, most of them healthcare / social workers, but also 3600 in care homes or over 80. That averages just 800 jabs a day in the six weeks since vaccinations started in Wales.

There are 36,000 people 75 or older, including 11,000 age 85 or over, in Cardiff and Vale. Vaughan Gething said on TV last night that 70% over 80s in Wales would be vaccinated by this weekend.

Looks like Cardiff and Vale will fall a long way short of target, whilst 150,000 doses sit on shelfs.
    They don’t appear to be organising the rollout that well either, my mums 90 year old neighbour had a call at 2pm last Friday saying can you get to the surgery by 3. You would think they could give people that old 24hrs notice maybe......on to the 89 year olds next

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I assume you mean the first firebreak which I suppose could be said to be the second lockdown. Wales came out of first lockdown one step at a time every three weeks, which is what England is now talking about doing, and was uncharacteristically quick to come out of firebreak in comparison and the wider context should be thought about when identifying why.
    I think the reason he came out of the firebreak to quickly and his defence of the "Standing around with nothing to do" comment are linked and are a reflection of his personality.
    He has defended his hanging around commen t and refuses to back track on it, equally when he said a short sharp shock for th fire break and said 3 weeks a lot of people said they expected it to go on.
    In both cases he stuck where he was not because it was right but because he thought he would lose face or be accused of a U turn if he didn't and his ego wouldn't allow him to do it whatever the consequences.
    So like the times when he makes the right call but for the wrong reasons these times he made the wrong call.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

I've seen that chart in another thread saying Wales' death rate was higher than England's in December, but are you saying that Wales' is higher over the course of the whole pandemic? Also, if you are going by the December figures, then it's a bit of a leap to say that Wales had the worst death rate in the world last week - all I'm doing is saying that there are figures which show that the UK had the worst death rate in the world last week, I make no claims about Wales because those figures have not been broken down.

Regarding the six weeks of vaccines across the whole of the UK, not just Wales, it's not six weeks of both vaccines is it, because the Oxford one has only been available to the public for just over a fortnight, so for the majority of the time people have been receiving vaccinations, only the Pfizer one has been available - do your calculations make allowance for that?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They don’t appear to be organising the rollout that well either, my mums 90 year old neighbour had a call at 2pm last Friday saying can you get to the surgery by 3. You would think they could give people that old 24hrs notice maybe......on to the 89 year olds next
    That is almost certainly a case of someone unable to attend an appoimtment and a spot and a vaccine needing to be used.