+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mark Drakeford not happy with Johnson - the R rate in Wales now almost certainly above one - the latest estimate is between 0-7 and 1.2.
    I know Mark Drakeford is concerned about the lack of contact with Boris (and rightly so), but how many times has Drakeford himself tried to instigate a meeting with the other first ministers and BJ.
    Its alright airing your grievances in public, but i dont think we know the full story.

Mark Drakeford not happy with Johnson - the R rate in Wales now almost certainly above one - the latest estimate is between 0-7 and 1.2.
    Earlier this week Chris Bryant on Sky TV was claiming credit for the fact that the R rate in Wales was lower than in England. Now the R rate in Wales has risen it now seems to be the fault of Boris. I don't like people claiming credit when things are going well and then shifting the blame when things are not going so well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I know Mark Drakeford is concerned about the lack of contact with Boris (and rightly so), but how many times has Drakeford himself tried to instigate a meeting with the other first ministers and BJ.
    Its alright airing your grievances in public, but i dont think we know the full story.

Cumon now ! Yup don’t expect Donald Drakeford to have Boris’s phone number, do you.

He’s (Donald), like a dropped boyfriend I’m not calling her, if she’s not calling me

It's just been announced that the R rate for the U.K. Is between 1.1 and 1.4, so, for what it's worth, it's still lower in Wales.

It's just been announced that the R rate for the U.K. Is between 1.1 and 1.4, so, for what it's worth, it's still lower in Wales.
    I heard that. Also it seems the Nightingale hospital in Birmingham has been put on high alert so a serious spike must be expected.

4,300 new cases, the figure is getting towards spring levels now, but the death rates in other countries are not rising to the same proportions as they did in the spring so far - let's hope the same applies here.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think that central government should definitely keep the first minister fully informed but I did notice earlier in the emergency that on a couple of occasions Drakeford said things like, "They haven't called us" or "The Westminster Government hasn't been in touch with us". He never said, "I've called and tried to speak to Boris but he didn't take my calls" or anything like that.
    However he has said that he has numerous chats with Michael Gove which he said, as useful and informative and that Gove does keep in touch.
    So does he just feel affronted that the PM is not dealing with him personally, and/or is he trying to score political points?

4,300 new cases, the figure is getting towards spring levels now, but the death rates in other countries are not rising to the same proportions as they did in the spring so far - let's hope the same applies here.
    Are the old and vulnerable now more protected? Is the virus just weaker? Most people have a very good chance of surviving it anyway as long as they are under 75 and have no PEC.....I see the media are going into overdrive again.....the amount of time I spoken to or heard people say they no longer watch the news, no surprise really.

“So does he just feel affronted that the PM is not dealing with him personally, and/or is he trying to score political points?”

This is definitely what Donald Drakeford is doing. Me, me, me is all he’s worried about

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    “So does he just feel affronted that the PM is not dealing with him personally, and/or is he trying to score political points?”

This is definitely what Donald Drakeford is doing. Me, me, me is all he’s worried about
    They can’t drop the political guff even in a pandemic....says it all

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Are the old and vulnerable now more protected? Is the virus just weaker? Most people have a very good chance of surviving it anyway as long as they are under 75 and have no PEC.....I see the media are going into overdrive again.....the amount of time I spoken to or heard people say they no longer watch the news, no surprise really.
    The figures are almost as bad in the spring, but there are far more tests being done, so I suppose the numbers first time around would have been much worse with today's number of tests.

The figures are almost as bad in the spring, but there are far more tests being done, so I suppose the numbers first time around would have been much worse with today's number of tests.
    People were not social distancing last time, we had no masks, hand gel sold out, even hand soap did. Things are very different this time, people are far more aware. In saying all this, we have a very large population of not very clever people.

Thankfully there is a lot more knowledge on the most effective ways of treating the worst affected patients this time around. Whether it be plasma from previous patients or the use of various steroids, the chances of surviving must be greater for those worst affected.

Birmingham puts its Nightingale hospital on high alert, Meanwhile we are dismantling our Covid hospital at the Principality Stadium!

Boris Johnson warns that a second wave of coronavirus is 'inevitable' - and UK could have 'on-off' restrictions until spring amid concerns people are flouting 'rule of six'

The numbers behind new lockdowns: Covid hospitalisations could reach levels seen in the first wave by OCTOBER, experts warn as ONS estimates England's outbreak has DOUBLED in a week
    'You see the drama in the news... we're living with it every day': What happens after the migrant boats land here daily? SUE REID's disquieting report from the villages on the front line lays bare the frustrations of locals who feel forgotten

The party's over: Newcastle stragglers sink their final pints before curfew - as revellers in Leeds make the most of what could be their final weekend of freedom as city teeters on brink of local lockdown
    Hospitals are being warned to clear beds and brace for a rise in coronavirus patients in TWO WEEKS as hospitalisations double every eight days
    Britain may not see a 'double whammy' of Covid-19 and flu this winter because virus-controlling measures will slash spread of influenza, Australia's winter suggests
    SAGE admits Britain hasn't got herd immunity and calls for policies to slash R rate to below one to keep outbreak under control
    Health secretary Matt Hancock promised 1.4million care workers lapel badges to honour their efforts in tackling Corona... but they STILL haven't been delivered five months on
    National or local lockdown, shielding, curfew or do nothing? As Covid infections double each week, debate is raging...
    Second lockdown sounds death knell for pubs: Landlords warn return of nationwide restrictions will shut them for good - unless government stumps up cash to save them
    All aboard the Covid coach: Welsh social club members 'had symptoms and were awaiting test results when they went on boozy day trip to Doncaster races that triggered coronavirus spike'
    London lockdown IS likely admits Mayor Sadiq Khan after coming out of emergency meeting on lack of testing in the capital as he warns 'we should not wait for virus to spiral out of control'

The Health Secretary pleaded with the public to 'come together to tackle this virus' amid a spike in cases
    194 Covid-19 patients were admitted to hospitals across England on Tuesday, up from 84 eight days ago
    More than 3,000 people a day were being admitted to NHS hospitals during the peak of the first wave in April
    Analysis suggests, at the current trend, it would take around three weeks for daily admissions to top 2,000

Matt Hancock today warned the number of coronavirus patients being admitted to hospital is doubling every eight days as he revealed ministers need to 'take action' because the outbreak is accelerating.

The Health Secretary pleaded with the public to 'come together to tackle this virus' and admitted that a new national crackdown could be on the cards because it 'isn't just cases' that are increasing.

Government statistics show 194 newly-infected Covid-19 patients were admitted to hospitals in England on Tuesday, compared to just 84 eight days ago and just 38 on August 30. It means 154 patients are needing NHS care each day, on average — triple the figure of 52 on September 1.

More than 3,000 people each day were being admitted to NHS hospitals during the peak of the first wave in April. Analysis suggests, at the current trend, it would take little more than three weeks for daily admissions to top 2,000.

And a top infectious disease expert today warned that it is 'plausible' the doubling rate of every eight days could continue. Professor Paul Hunter, of University of East Anglia, said admissions could surpass the daily rate seen in March and April in just a month's time.

Cases have spiked over the same time frame, with another 3,395 infections recorded yesterday — a 33 per cent rise in a week. Deaths are also starting to creep up, with the average number of patients dying each day now standing at 14 — up from seven a fortnight ago.

More aggressive measures, including a national 'circuit breaker', are on the cards to stop the growth of the outbreak. The move could come as soon as next week, with pubs, restaurants and hotels facing being shut to prevent 'significant' casualties.

More than 1,000 patients were dying during the darkest days of Britain's crisis, when 3,000 new hospital admissions were being recorded each day.

But experts insist a second wave of Covid-19 in Britain would not be nearly as bad as the first. One reason for this prediction is the fact that we now know so much more about the virus. This includes medical advances, such as the discovery that steroid treatment dexamethasone can cut the risk of death from coronavirus by a third. Officials also say that local lockdowns – and the beleaguered test and trace service – have successfully prevented recent outbreaks from spreading more widely.

It comes as hospitals have been warned they must clear beds and brace themselves for a rise in coronavirus patients in the next few weeks.

MPs in London have been informed of plans to increase 'step down' beds in the capital, it was reported today. The beds will be made available to coronavirus patients who no longer need any hospital treatment, but can recover from the disease while isolating.

Hospitals cancelled thousands of surgeries like hip operations and cancer treatment to free up space for infected patients at the peak of the crisis, causing the NHS to have a record-high waiting list for routine treatment. The drive to free up beds in the first wave also saw coronavirus-infected patients discharged into care homes, where the virus was allowed to spread.

Analysis suggests, at the current trend, it would take little more than three weeks for daily admissions to top 2,000
    The Health Secretary pleaded with the public to 'come together to tackle this virus' and admitted that a new national crackdown could be on the cards because it 'isn't just cases' that are increasing

The Health Secretary pleaded with the public to 'come together to tackle this virus' and admitted that a new national crackdown could be on the cards because it 'isn't just cases' that are increasing
    MATT HANCOCK ADMITS A NATIONAL CRACKDOWN IS ON THE CARDS

Matt Hancock today admitted that a new national crackdown is on the cards as he warned infections are 'accelerating across the country' and more people will die.

The Health Secretary pleaded with the public to 'come together to tackle this virus' as ministers consider imposing draconian restrictions for a fortnight in a 'circuit break' to stop the spread.

The move could come as soon as next week, with pubs, restaurants and hotels facing being shut to prevent 'significant' casualties.

In a round of interviews this morning, Mr Hancock said a national lockdown was the 'last line of defence'. But he warned that it was a 'big moment for the country' and the situation was 'deadly serious', with cases now doubling every eight days. Unless the 'Rule of Six' restrictions worked more would have to be done, he warned.

'The virus is clearly accelerating across the country,' Mr Hancock told Sky News. 'We have got to take the necessary action to keep people safe. We will do what it takes to keep people safe.'

It comes as 10million people are told to follow new lockdown rules as Lancashire is placed under curfew alongside the North East.

The Government's chief science and medical officers have warned that another serious outbreak of coronavirus could lead to a significant number of deaths by the end of next month.

In an interview with BBC Breakfast this morning, Mr Hancock warned that it was 'absolutely critical' that people continued to follow the basic rules with regard to coronavirus.

He said: 'We have seen an acceleration in the number of cases over the last couple of weeks and we’ve also sadly seen that the number of people hospitalised with coronavirus is doubling about every eight days, so we do need to take action.'

The government's most-up-to-date data shows 194 Covid-19 patients in England were admitted to hospital on September 15 — at an average of 154 a day over the past week.

For comparison, the rolling seven-day average had dipped to as low as 45 on August 22, when just 25 hospital admissions were recorded across the country.

At the height of the pandemic at the start of April, the average number of daily admissions was 2,700. Britain's lockdown and tough social distancing measures allowed the rate to plummet to below 1,000 by the start of May.

Department of Health chiefs say data is not updated every day by all four nations and the figures are not comparable. For instance, Wales include suspected Covid-19 patients while all the other nations include only confirmed cases.

Professor Hunter said that the spike in admissions is 'predictable' and 'expected', given the spike in cases over the past few weeks.

He added: 'It's worrying that it's going up but the big concern is how many hospital admissions we will end up seeing.

'I suspect it will carry on... but I suspect we won't see it doubling quite as rapidly because, often, these things start off quite fast and then they tail off after a little while.

'It doesn't always tail off, but ultimately it does because if it carries on doubling [at that speed], then soon every single person on the planet will be on hospital. So it has to tail off eventually.

'The issue is when does it start tailing off? I have no way of knowing.'

Professor Hunter added that it was 'plausible' England's hospital admissions could get up the levels seen in April but admitted he think it's probably won't happen.

He said: 'The evidence is older people are still, sort of, social distancing themselves more than other groups, and they're the group most likely to get hospitalised. There's also a smaller pool to get infected and be hospitalised than we saw back in March and April.

'But it may well continue, and it's plausible that England could well in a month's time be surpassing that figure. But I hope not.'

It comes as hospitals have been warned they must clear beds and brace themselves for a rise in coronavirus patients in the next few weeks. One MP who has seen the plans told the Telegraph: 'I was told hospitals have reserved beds for people coming out of hospital who need somewhere to re-cover.

'At the start of lockdown they were having to send people back to care homes or back to other facilities, with dire consequences, so they've booked places in respite care or empty care homes, so people will go out of hospital, but won't return to their normal place of living.'

Another source said that councils have also been asked to find extra beds

It comes amid more testing chaos yesterday as Baroness Dido Harding, head of NHS Test and Trace, revealed that demand for coronavirus tests is currently up to four times greater than the system's capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Birmingham puts its Nightingale hospital on high alert, Meanwhile we are dismantling our Covid hospital at the Principality Stadium!
    The Nightingale hospital in Exeter is also being re commissioned there must be preparations being made in England at least for a serious second spike. So while hospitals in England are being re-opened the hospital in Cardiff is being dismantled. The Welsh government's actions don't seem very sensible.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The Nightingale hospital in Exeter is also being re commissioned there must be preparations being made in England at least for a serious second spike. So while hospitals in England are being re-opened the hospital in Cardiff is being dismantled. The Welsh government's actions don't seem very sensible.
    Aren't they just moving the 'nightingale' hospital? There was a news story posted on here the other day about them building a new facility for Covid patients next to the Heath.

Seems fine to me... Unless I'm missing something glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Aren't they just moving the 'nightingale' hospital? There was a news story posted on here the other day about them building a new facility for Covid patients next to the Heath.

400 bed field hospital being built next to UHW apparently.

Seems a more sensible place anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Don't tell them that. It'll stymie their desperate attempts to criticize Welsh Labour.

Nice waste of 30 million that.....they needed to do it though didn’t they, or they could have built it somewhere where it can stay permanently

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    400 bed field hospital being built next to UHW apparently.

Seems a more sensible place anyway
    Can’t say I’ve noticed it and I cycle through or past it most days

Nice waste of 30 million that.....they needed to do it though didn’t they, or they could have built it somewhere where it can stay permanently
    I'm firmly in the better to have it and not need it camp when it comes to the stadium hospital

Heisenberg

How long do you think it takes to build a hospital, goats?

Takes a bit longer to build a permanent building and kit it out
    than it does to kit out an existing structure dont you think?