+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The testing side of things seems to have worked reasonably well; although it didn't really stand up well enough in worst of second wave over winter (how much of this could be expected and accepted due to surge in cases? And how much of that was caused by UK government's wider strategy rather than issues with testing system?), there has been error in how UK government has pushed itself into devolved nations without communication and such high costs probably not needed without ten years of what is actually cuts to health service budget.

The tracing side of things, well, local testing seems to have been at least 10x as effective.

Circa 85% of what has been spent is on the testing part of test and trace. The bit we're presumably happier with.
    if you spend 37 billion pounds in something you at least expect it to have some effect. they dont think the test and trace program has had any noticible effect.

this is the third most expensive project in human history,
    it has been called the most wasteful and inept public spending programme of all time.
    to defend it saying that parts of it were fine when the overall project was completely innefective is nonsense. it's like saying the Titanic wasn't a complete disaster because the buffet breakfast on the second day was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if you spend 37 billion pounds in something you at least expect it to have some effect. they dont think the test and trace program has had any noticible effect.

this is the third most expensive project in human history,
    it has been called the most wasteful and inept public spending programme of all time.
    to defend it saying that parts of it were fine when the overall project was completely innefective is nonsense. it's like saying the Titanic wasn't a complete disaster because the buffet breakfast on the second day was fabulous.
    Who (no pun intended) says that? I'll hold my hands up to no longer being an expert but thought we using hospital numbers, infection in community numbers and test positivity numbers to inform locking down or easing?

You're of course correct to point out just how expensive it has been. Believe I'm right in saying that Germany have invested in testing capacity over past decade plus where we've largely made cuts so to that service which partially explains why it's been so expensive in one go and slow to get going which caused one of the massive issues during the first wave. Winter wave, imo, can mostly be explained by economics preventing health action with Boris wanting to protect Christmas shopping over shoppers rather than how effective or ineffective testing was.

the public accountants committee

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the public accountants committee
    https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/busi...d-trace-effort

MPs on the Public Accounts Committee highlighted ineffective performance data and over-reliance on private consultants in a report that questioned the effectiveness and value of the government’s test and trace programme.

In spite of the “unimaginable” sums showered on NHST&T, the PAC concluded: “It is unclear whether its specific contribution to reducing infection levels, as opposed to the other measures introduced to tackle the pandemic has justified its costs.”

The report acknowledged that NHST&T was set up and staffed at incredible speed, but echoed criticisms from a range of stakeholders that the government opted to build a new infrastructure from scratch rather than working more closely with local authorities.

The combination of poor financial oversight and questionable performance makes for depressing reading and contradicts bullish ministerial claims about the UK’s “world beating” test and trace capability. It also calls into question the role that Big Four accountants like Deloitte have played in promoting private sector-led solutions to large-scale public challenges.
    They don't think the test and trace program has had any noticeable effect on reducing infection levels.

apparently Germany's track and trace program cost 47 million.

whereas we have spent the equivalent of 3/4 of the annual NHS budget. or more than we spend on secondary education

Anyone know when people who live in England are allowed to travel to Wales? I thought it was APRIL 12 when these restrictions were being eased in England? Kim jong Drakeford was being his usual vague self yesterday when being asked about it saying he didn’t need to care about it as they weren’t allowed to leave? Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone know when people who live in England are allowed to travel to Wales? I thought it was APRIL 12 when these restrictions were being eased in England? Kim jong Drakeford was being his usual vague self yesterday when being asked about it saying he didn’t need to care about it as they weren’t allowed to leave? Is that right?
    England come out of 'stay at home' on 29 March. Still in place however is 'no holidays'...specifically no overnight stays until 12 April

Most of Italy heads back into a 3rd lock down

I wouldn't book a holiday abroad just yet

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...rope-rzzvf9hkf

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Most of Italy heads back into a 3rd lock down

I wouldn't book a holiday abroad just yet

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...rope-rzzvf9hkf
    Can’t see Europe getting it sorted by the summer? I’ve always wanted to go to Israel mind....

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    England come out of 'stay at home' on 29 March. Still in place however is 'no holidays'...specifically no overnight stays until 12 April
    we could meet 1 other person outside our household / bubble from today for a coffee etc etc

though when i walk into town for a starbucks ( as part of my daily exercise quota ) town is packed with people doing exactly the same

I see many Eu countries have suspended use of the "Oxford" vaccine by Astra Zeneca because they are concerned about 37 cases of blood clots in 17,000,000 vaccinations.
    That is approximately 2 cases per 1,000,000 vaccinations

Meanwhile all Eu countries are still using the Pfizer vaccine where there have been 22 cases of blood clots in 11,000,000 vaccinations.

That is approximately er.... 2 cases per million.

Experts in the UK are saying that that rate of cases ins normal in an unvaccinated population

Is Europe getting it wrong again????

They've gotten it very wrong from my point of view. I can't see how this is anything but politically motivated.

Even if this was an actual risk (and figures and medical authorities seem sure that it's not) the risk at these levels is so low compared to the actual risk from covid that you wouldn't want to stop anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I see many Eu countries have suspended use of the "Oxford" vaccine by Astra Zeneca because they are concerned about 37 cases of blood clots in 17,000,000 vaccinations.
    That is approximately 2 cases per 1,000,000 vaccinations

Meanwhile all Eu countries are still using the Pfizer vaccine where there have been 22 cases of blood clots in 11,000,000 vaccinations.

That is approximately er.... 2 cases per million.

Experts in the UK are saying that that rate of cases ins normal in an unvaccinated population

Is Europe getting it wrong again????
    They seem to be losing it....bizarre I used to think of them as light years ahead of us, but not anymore.

Very odd.
    The Pfizer vaccine is ten times more expensive too, wasn't it £30 a shot and the AZ £3?
    (I assume the £3 figure was for UK residents).

It really does seem like a case of the EU chucking their teddy in the corner due to Brexit.

This was to be a great chance of recouping some of the billions we had to lay out.

Are they just playing hardball

On the BBC Politics Live programme today it was stated the number of those experiencing blood clots were divided equally between those who had taken the AZ and Pfizer vaccines yet all the bad publicity was being directed towards the AZ vaccine. The evidence suggests the animosity towards the AZ vaccine is politically motivated. The EU don't like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Let them throw their toys out the pram, the Pfizer one has had the same % of clots too, so this is just strange. It will start to kick off in some euro countries soon if they don’t get their act together....

Presumably the authorities in those European countries suspending the AZ vaccine on the basis of an unproven link with clotting disorders are going to be happy to accept full responsibility for all those additional deaths which are now going to occur in individuals left unprotected.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Presumably the authorities in those European countries suspending the AZ vaccine on the basis of an unproven link with clotting disorders are going to be happy to accept full responsibility for all those additional deaths which are now going to occur in individuals left unprotected.
    No.

They'll blame us!!

Can't see those wanting an inquiry getting any joy for some time, if it all;-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pposition-poll

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can't see those wanting an inquiry getting any joy for some time, if it all;-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pposition-poll
    Do0n't think he will be able to avoid an enquiry. I suspect that even if he refuses to hold one (and he has said lessons must be learnt so let us hope that is the same thing) there will probably be enough Tory MP's who think there should be one to get it through anyway

the question is whether it will be statutory or non statutory

Surely an inquiry is needed even if just to learn lessons in case this happens again

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Do0n't think he will be able to avoid an enquiry. I suspect that even if he refuses to hold one (and he has said lessons must be learnt so let us hope that is the same thing) there will probably be enough Tory MP's who think there should be one to get it through anyway

the question is whether it will be statutory or non statutory
    it'll be pushed back until AFTER the next general election though, so by the time it all comes out there won't be any real damage

No I think it will come in the autumn or early next year. I don't think he will be able to delay for three years

Latest from the EU. What an absolute crock of s**t
    They want to block supplies to UK and other countries who have vaccinated high rates.

With the EU facing a third wave of the coronavirus pandemic and less than a tenth of its population vaccinated, Ms von der Leyen accused AstraZeneca - which helped develop the Oxford University vaccine - of having "underproduced and underdelivered" to the bloc.