+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I know that the German government is being criticised heavily for not sourcing enough vaccinations.
    Which is strange as they are the world leaders when it comes to producing pharmaceuticals aren’t they? Something I didn’t know until this pandemic....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Which is strange as they are the world leaders when it comes to producing pharmaceuticals aren’t they? Something I didn’t know until this pandemic....

Not sure why this is being turned into an "us and them " competition by Johnson, well I am sure why but I'm not going to make this political like he does. One thing to remember is that the EU approved the vaccine later.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I know that the German government is being criticised heavily for not sourcing enough vaccinations.
    France is also having problems in vaccine uptake. Partly due to the public's mistrust of vaccines in general and partly due to a complex pre-vaccine consent process, which I think, must be done several days before administering the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm always willing to admit I was incorrect and I was. Apologies. However, I note that on another virus thread somebody gained the same impression that the 1.1m/1.3m figure was a daily total when clearly it was the cumulative total.
    No problem.

Im sure it will speed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Not sure why this is being turned into an "us and them " competition by Johnson, well I am sure why but I'm not going to make this political like he does. One thing to remember is that the EU approved the vaccine later.
    I have a few vulnerable family members, so I really hope that The Government pulls this off.

However, I'm going to predict that in a couple of weeks they will be saying that comparing the numbers of vaccines administered in different countries isn't a valid means of judging The Government's performance.

Just a hunch!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    France is also having problems in vaccine uptake. Partly due to the public's mistrust of vaccines in general and partly due to a complex pre-vaccine consent process, which I think, must be done several days before administering the vaccine.
    It fascinates me that it seems a rarity for people to try and have an global overview of current events and it's often as if Blighty exists in a bubble - and it can be very difficult to judge some complex matters at the best of times if we aren't political dogmatists.
    However, and at the risk of stating the obvious, it seems that the UK has been dire in respect to the virus in general but ahead of many comparable countries in sourcing and delivering the vaccines.

Hardly shocking news, I know.

The EU have yet to approve the Astra Zeneca vaccine but have approved the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

You are right it shouldn't really be an us or them but I do seem to recall the Government being criticised in the summer for not joining the EU vaccination program which it could have done. The same was true of the Europe wide PPE and ventilator programs.

As far as I can tell not joining those programs hasn't mattered one bit. In fact in the case of the vaccine it seems to have been an advantage ( up to now, could change of course) as we could start our vaccinations before Europe did.

Here's a recent link from the BBC which provides some information. mainly on the vaccine but there is some limited information on progress on the other schemes at the end.

Not just Johnston who makes it political (not disagreeing at all that he does)

The EU have yet to approve the Astra Zeneca vaccine but have approved the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
    Have the EU got access to Maderna yet? Or are they like us and will get it in the Spring.?

1.3 million vaccines in the UK as a whole so far.

Another update due today.

Daily updates from next Monday (11th)

According to ITV.Com

Isn't this a metaphor for Brexit*? The UK can now act more quickly than a massive trading block but ended up paying more for the vaccines.

New Zealand is donating (not sure if correct word but gives accurate enough impression) vaccines to neighbouring islands. The UK can vaccine everyone it wants to but can't escape the risk that if insufficient vaccines go to those who have been slower/less able to resource them then the virus mutates beyond the coverage of the existing vaccine and comes back here.

*drink

Scientific contribution (developing a vaccine and identifying drugs to be used as part of treatments) will definitely be seen as positive part of UK response though with good amount of credit going to Boris etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the vaccines being approved for use by individual countries and not the EU as a singularity?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    You are right it shouldn't really be an us or them but I do seem to recall the Government being criticised in the summer for not joining the EU vaccination program which it could have done. The same was true of the Europe wide PPE and ventilator programs.

As far as I can tell not joining those programs hasn't mattered one bit. In fact in the case of the vaccine it seems to have been an advantage ( up to now, could change of course) as we could start our vaccinations before Europe did.

Here's a recent link from the BBC which provides some information. mainly on the vaccine but there is some limited information on progress on the other schemes at the end.

Not just Johnston who makes it political (not disagreeing at all that he does)
    Sorry forgot the BBC link about the EU Vaccine scheme in my earlier post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52380823

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the vaccines being approved for use by individual countries and not the EU as a singularity?

I think they could have done but I think they agreed to approving it as a bloc.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Isn't this a metaphor for Brexit*? The UK can now act more quickly than a massive trading block but ended up paying more for the vaccines.

New Zealand is donating (not sure if correct word but gives accurate enough impression) vaccines to neighbouring islands. The UK can vaccine everyone it wants to but can't escape the risk that if insufficient vaccines go to those who have been slower/less able to resource them then the virus mutates beyond the coverage of the existing vaccine and comes back here.

*drink
    Did we pay more for the vaccines than them??? I thought we had a special deal for The Oxford one as it was developed and manufactured here and the Government put money into it.

Deleted by writer

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Have the EU got access to Maderna yet? Or are they like us and will get it in the Spring.?
    I don't know but the Moderna vaccine has yet to be approved for use in the UK.

Didnt know that. Had it in mind it had but we wouldnt get it by Spring.

Probably got that from its results and they mentioned Spring for us.

Thinking about it now can only remember Pfizer and Oxford given approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I think they could have done but I think they agreed to approving it as a bloc.
    This seems to be the position in the extract below from an article written by a German:

"The sclerotic and sluggish EU machine has, unforgivably, botched the roll-out of the vaccines, and the consequences are likely to prove fatal to many thousands of our citizens........................................

My home country of Germany had, by Tuesday, vaccinated some 317,000 people — by far the most of the EU27.

Yet what a bitter irony it is that we who were crucial to the development and manufacturing of the Pfizer/BioNTech jab — BioNTech is a start-up based outside Frankfurt — must now watch lorry loads of supplies travelling to Britain while our own roll-out is beset by delay, uncertainty and fears about future supply.

Our health minister has warned that Germany will not be vaccinating at Britain’s rate until at least the summer, thanks to distribution problems and the EU’s ill-considered ‘cap’ on the number of doses that can be distributed to the various member states."

My mate in Italy says this is the one that’s all the talk there.....

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I agree with your comments about supply chain issues like glass vials, could turn out to be the weakest link in the supply chain, not so much for the Pfizer product as product is finished in house and production planning would account for, but maybe for third party fill and finish of the Oxford jab.

I'm not so sure about community pharmacists being engaged en masse at this point in time. Boots are setting up a few hubs at large pharmacies to vaccinate 1000 a week, but your average community pharmacy couldn't do anything like that, and when you consider a 6 hour shell life once a dose has been extracted from a vial, and the fact that the SKU is 10 vials, community pharmacists could remove one heck of a lot of stock from an already friable supply chain, and potentially waste stock too.
    Additionally, unlike the flu jab where appointments can be made for anyone, or even walk in service, the Covid jab will need to be given in priority order, and how is it all monitored? Pharmacy IT systems do not link to NHS patient data. Finally, according to the PIL patients have to be given a date for their 2nd jab at the time of the first, yet another administrative issue as the pharmacist will need to be sure he has stock available for these.

All in all I think pharmacy involvement would be best at a time when vaccination is open to the general population.
    You make some good points there. I agree a few large pharmacy hubs would be a good idea in order to reduce potential waste and guarantee continuity of supply for the second dose. I suppose the downside is that by definition there would not be many such centres so maybe not too local for elderly folk. As I said earlier I really don't know how a pharmacist in your local independent or small chain pharmacy would have the time or the facilities to get involved in the vaccination scheme on top of their normal "day job"!

Re vials/stoppers/caps - Pfizer will also be dependent on third party manufacturers for the supply of these too, although they may have greater commercial "clout" I suppose. I do wonder if we might see shortages of other injectable products that require 10 ml or 20 vials?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Didnt know that. Had it in mind it had but we wouldnt get it by Spring.

Probably got that from its results and they mentioned Spring for us.

Thinking about it now can only remember Pfizer and Oxford given approval.
    We have ordered the Moderna vaccine for delivery by the Spring subject of course to approval. Because of that the MHRA has given the approval process lower priority.

Schools shut until half term, what a surprise....wonder when all governments will back down and vaccinate teachers. No brainier

The Guardian’s rolling coverage is reporting that there’s been a study which suggests that the Oxford vaccine will be effective against the British and South African mutations.