Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think they have yes, although obviously not 400 million doses
    30 million, first on list for delivery I believe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think they have yes, although obviously not 400 million doses
    400 million would be a bit excessive. Will be interesting to see the results of the vaccine trials.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    30 million, first on list for delivery I believe
    Thanks for the figure, it made it easier to find a story.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...ims-government

Racism contributed to disproportionate number of BAME coronavirus deaths says official report;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-deaths-report

Banned

https://inews.co.uk/news/r-value-clo...ruFKZ4a72ATuq4

Is Johnson still handling this better than Drakeford?

Banned

Isle of Man have removed most of their social distancing. No new cases there for 22 days. However, it is still residents only, and it is limiting outdoor gatherings to 30 people, and only 2 people allowed in a house house from another household.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Bit early to tell but as none were showing symptoms, it could maybe suggest that this virus has less serious effects. Granted I am not a biologist but maybe some people have got some immunity or the virus has taken a less serious form

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Bit early to tell but as none were showing symptoms, it could maybe suggest that this virus has less serious effects. Granted I am not a biologist but maybe some people have got some immunity or the virus has taken a less serious form
    I read elsewhere ( cannot find the link at the mo, its 1am and im tired ) that they think some of them people have had it before and have partial immunity

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I read elsewhere ( cannot find the link at the mo, its 1am and im tired ) that they think some of them people have had it before and have partial immunity
    Interesting. If you can get it twice then would we be in limbo forever-ever?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/13/...ment-with-astr

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/ital...e-deal/1875799

The Vaccines Alliance have signed a deal to obtain 400 million doses of the vaccine that was developed by Oxford University and is currently being tested.

Does anyone know if the UK Government have secured any doses?
    You’d think so as Oxford is in the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Biggest market in all of Asia isn’t it? Think China needs permanent quarantine until it can control these new virus outbreaks

I appreciate that it will be the last thing some people will want to look at, but if anyone is interested, there is an interactive map in this article which gives deaths up to the end of May from the virus by post code area;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...stats-18408084

I was quite reassured when I looked up my area (Treherbert) because, when I last looked at the map in late April, Treherbert was among the very worst hit areas, now I would say that it's figure is a bit above average, but there are plenty of others that have suffered a lot more than we have up here - for example, Canton which I wouldn't have had down as a place which fits into the deprived description.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I appreciate that it will be the last thing some people will want to look at, but if anyone is interested, there is an interactive map in this article which gives deaths up to the end of May from the virus by post code area;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...stats-18408084

I was quite reassured when I looked up my area (Treherbert) because, when I last looked at the map in late April, Treherbert was among the very worst hit areas, now I would say that it's figure is a bit above average, but there are plenty of others that have suffered a lot more than we have up here - for example, Canton which I wouldn't have had down as a place which fits into the deprived description.
    This is where things get a bit iffy for me.

I know 3 people from Canton (all regulars in the pub), who had “Coronavirus” put on their death certificates, but all 3 also had terminal cancer.

Yes Coronavirus advanced their deaths, but was it the sole cause ?????

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I know 3 people from Canton (all regulars in the pub), who had “Coronavirus” put on their death certificates, but all 3 also had terminal cancer.

Where do you draw the line? How would anyone even begin to work it out?

If covid had some sort of impact on quickening their death, I think it's fair enough to count them in the figures.

I don’t think establishing clear sole cause is as important as understanding the overall public health impact of Covid. If it has potentially advanced, or the pandemic has prevented treatment of, another fatal disease that’s important to know I would think. This seems to be best measured by excess mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Where do you draw the line? How would anyone even begin to work it out?

If covid had some sort of impact on quickening their death, I think it's fair enough to count them in the figures.
    And then you go and blame Boris for all the deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    And then you go and blame Boris for all the deaths.
    Boris himself said the best approach is to measure all cause mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

How did they catch it? Weren’t they staying indoors? It’s really hit anyone with underlying conditions very hard which is backed up by the stats that show less than 300 people in the whole of England have died who didn’t have any at all, many of these 300 were apparently BAME also. It’s strange though, my overweight 89 year old auntie who has dementia and diabetes caught it in a care home and survived it and pneumonia.....

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don’t think establishing clear sole cause is as important as understanding the overall public health impact of Covid. If it has potentially advanced, or the pandemic has prevented treatment of, another fatal disease that’s important to know I would think. This seems to be best measured by excess mortality.
    I think this informative piece on how Covid-19 deaths are calculated by the various organisations covers your point pretty well. Figure 2 in the study has a graph showing the spike in excess deaths against a 5 year average.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...eaths-covid-19

It is recognised that in just over 90% of cases those who died had pre-existing conditions. There seems to be an argument being made by some that these people were dying anyway so that the risks from the virus are being over-blown. I saw this rather inelegantly referred to as the "Harold Shipman" defence which somehow mitigates responsibility for how the virus has been managed in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think this informative piece on how Covid-19 deaths are calculated by the various organisations covers your point pretty well. Figure 2 in the study has a graph showing the spike in excess deaths against a 5 year average.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...eaths-covid-19

It is recognised that in just over 90% of cases those who died had pre-existing conditions. There seems to be an argument being made by some that these people were dying anyway so that the risks from the virus are being over-blown. I saw this rather inelegantly referred to as the "Harold Shipman" defence which somehow mitigates responsibility for how the virus has been managed in the UK.
    It makes you wonder if death rates in respect of the old and vulnerable will decrease in the next few years as they perished 'prematurely' due to Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It makes you wonder if death rates in respect of the old and vulnerable will decrease in the next few years as they perished 'prematurely' due to Covid-19.
    I guess that depends on how good we are as a nation going forward in managing the thing that caused the spike in excess deaths in the first place. Hopefully better than we have been to date!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How did they catch it? Weren’t they staying indoors? It’s really hit anyone with underlying conditions very hard which is backed up by the stats that show less than 300 people in the whole of England have died who didn’t have any at all, many of these 300 were apparently BAME also.
    When will we get back to normality if people continue to die with a Covid symptom alongside their terminal illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    When will we get back to normality if people continue to die with a Covid symptom alongside their terminal illness.
    When there is a vaccine for those who are old or with underlying conditions I guess. Keeping them indoors isn’t working so well it seems as they are still getting it. Cancer drugs wipe out one immune system so it’s no shock their bodies can not cope with it.