+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/sta...776609285?s=19

losing track of how many stories like this there have been already
    Why give him £5k? Not like he needs it, a weeks wages maybe? Be amazed if any of these stories are true as surely he’d be culpable if these things are put out to tender?

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/sta...776609285?s=19

losing track of how many stories like this there have been already
    Seems no one's too bothered about it, they got Brexit done after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Been a while since that happened....so low everywhere which is great to see

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Why give him £5k? Not like he needs it, a weeks wages maybe? Be amazed if any of these stories are true as surely he’d be culpable if these things are put out to tender?
    I'd agree with you if they were put out to tender.

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/370/bmj.m3147.full.pdf

I still think Drakeford's "this is not a sprint" comment was both crass and of no use whatsoever, but I can't deny time has proved him right to the extent that he can now claim that Wales has hit targets and the fact that the Welsh Minister in the UK Government seems to be wanting to claim some of the credit for Wales hitting their targets (funny how he was nowhere to be seen or heard when the flak was flying) tells you that this story is correct;-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1360024066967670785

Therefore, as someone who was very critical of Drakeford and the WAG in the early stages of the vaccine roll out, here I am eating humble pie as I said I would if the the targets were hit - I trust those who were being so critical early in the New Year on here amid claims that the roll out was solely the responsibility of the WAG and nothing to do with the UK Government will join me in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I still think Drakeford's "this is not a sprint" comment was both crass and of no use whatsoever, but I can't deny time has proved him right to the extent that he can now claim that Wales has hit targets and the fact that the Welsh Minister in the UK Government seems to be wanting to claim some of the credit for Wales hitting their targets (funny how he was nowhere to be seen or heard when the flak was flying) tells you that this story is correct;-

Therefore, as someone who was very critical of Drakeford and the WAG in the early stages of the vaccine roll out, here I am eating humble pie as I said I would if the the targets were hit - I trust those who were being so critical early in the New Year on here amid claims that the roll out was solely the responsibility of the WAG and nothing to do with the UK Government will join me in doing so.
    Apologies for the wrong link, this is the one I meant it to be;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56025773

Yes a great job.

Falling infection rates as well.

Lets hope the reopening is managed well in the coming months.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I agree they have done well. See my comment in the vaccine thread.

I too was critical of Drakeford earlier on when he made that famous remark about slowing down the vaccination programme because he didn't want the vaccinators sitting around idle. However I was pleased to note that there was no hint of triumphalism from him today about the fact that Wales were ahead of the other three UK nations in terms of the vaccine roll-out. Indeed he played it down completely, unlike the Scottish first minister who constantly brags about how well her country is doing compared to the others.

International

Whlist I understand that the WG is being cautious for all the right reasons I do question the statement by Drakeford that other than the youngest school children going back we should expect nothing from the review on Friday.
    What was more disturbing was his commnet that nothing else will happen until the next 3 week review on 12 March. history tells us once he has said that there is little hope of it changing. But I believe that once the benefits of the vaccine really start to kick in and hospitalisations and deaths begine to fall, that things could change quite rapidly. In that case there may be scope to change things at shorter notice and the prosepct of him sitting on his hands whilst the whole of england opens up quite safely is not a pleasant one.
    If he keeps doing it incrementally by 3 week bites we may not see hospitality opening until JUne, and it will destroy the tourist trade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Whlist I understand that the WG is being cautious for all the right reasons I do question the statement by Drakeford that other than the youngest school children going back we should expect nothing from the review on Friday.
    What was more disturbing was his commnet that nothing else will happen until the next 3 week review on 12 March. history tells us once he has said that there is little hope of it changing. But I believe that once the benefits of the vaccine really start to kick in and hospitalisations and deaths begine to fall, that things could change quite rapidly. In that case there may be scope to change things at shorter notice and the prosepct of him sitting on his hands whilst the whole of england opens up quite safely is not a pleasant one.
    If he keeps doing it incrementally by 3 week bites we may not see hospitality opening until JUne, and it will destroy the tourist trade as well.
    If things start to change quickly I imagine he'll scrap the 3 week updates

What makes you think the whole as England is opening up?

I very much doubt they will open before us.

I think we will likely open along the same timescale. Though with our lower rates theres an argument we could open earlier.

Hospitality around May for both I reckon with shops and tourism a few weeks before.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What makes you think the whole as England is opening up?

I very much doubt they will open before us.

I think we will likely open along the same timescale. Though with our lower rates theres an argument we could open earlier.

Hospitality around May for both I reckon with shops and tourism a few weeks before.
    I don't particularly think they will but I do believe that once he says every three weeks it will be hard to get him to change his stance, and as I suggested things may move more quickly one the vaccine begins to kick in for people 65 and over. Too rigid a process in either direction is not always a good thing.

Makes sense, it won't be until then that we know how this initial schools opening has gone, to move much before then risks peoples lives.

It makes more sense to follow the numbers rather than just give a specific date, that’s why all leaders are being cautious. It will be the same here in England too, schools open on March 8th and then see how that affects the numbers and how many vaccines get down/see how effective they are.

If it’s handled right it will be the last lockdown (hopefully). We don’t want another disaster like November and Christmas.

International

Makes sense, it won't be until then that we know how this initial schools opening has gone, to move much before then risks peoples lives.
    Yes, but I honestly don't think the kids going back to school will make a huge difference at all, certainly not a negative one, unless of course it frees their parents to go back to work and get the virus.

International

I was stunned to read that Liecester University hospital trust which apparently employs about 19000 people have stated that only 38% of their black staff members have taken the opportunity to have a vaccine. I find that stunning, particularly considering what business they are working in.
    It raises the question of what sympathy should you give someone who refuses the vaccine and then contracts a severe dose of the virus. And if they catch it and then give it to a member of their family who dies is that manslaughter? By that I mean being negligent to the effect their actions or inactions might have on others.

Good news from Israel who are ahead of all when it comes to vaccinating.....

Covid-19: Vaccine as good in 'real world' as in trial in Israel https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56069460

It raises the question of what sympathy should you give someone who refuses the vaccine and then contracts a severe dose of the virus. And if they catch it and then give it to a member of their family who dies is that manslaughter? By that I mean being negligent to the effect their actions or inactions might have on others.
    What sympathy would you give someone who caught the virus in a pub when pubs were open in the summer?

The question of being "negligent" applies to more of our collective actions than simply taking or not taking the vaccine. The question also has to be asked, why is it so many from BAME backgrounds are not taking the vaccine? There is, sadly, plenty of evidence of people being targeted by anti-vaxxers scaring people into not taking the vaccine with lots of untrue accusations. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that such adverts find their way into certain demographics (elderly, BAME, people who collect stamps) because of the algorithms used on social media platforms like Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Good news from Israel who are ahead of all when it comes to vaccinating.....

Covid-19: Vaccine as good in 'real world' as in trial in Israel https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56069460
    Really encouraging.

My father had a call yesterday at 4:45pm to get a vaccine 12 miles away by 5:30. He jumped straight in the car and drove there. He mentioned to the nurse that my mother was in the car outside, and was getting her vaccine Saturday. The nurse checked and saw there were vaccines available (hence why there was a last minute invite to my father), and my mother then went in and got her vaccine. That, hopefully, means someone will get my mother's vaccine on Saturday.

I hope this is not the result of people refusing the vaccine, the evidence from Israel is hugely encouraging. There are just two questions remaining, how long will immunity last and how does it impact transmission of the virus. Absolutely incredible what the science community has achieved in 12 months. Still a long way to go.

Yes, but I honestly don't think the kids going back to school will make a huge difference at all, certainly not a negative one, unless of course it frees their parents to go back to work and get the virus.
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer they wait and see the impact on the number of cases, rather than going on what Xsnaggle off of CCMB thinks will happen.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer they wait and see the impact on the number of cases, rather than going on what Xsnaggle off of CCMB thinks will happen.
    That is until its revealed that xsnaggle is actually Mark Drakeford

He can't reply at the moment, as he's busy driving around South Wales, reporting lockdown breakers

International

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    What sympathy would you give someone who caught the virus in a pub when pubs were open in the summer?

The question of being "negligent" applies to more of our collective actions than simply taking or not taking the vaccine. The question also has to be asked, why is it so many from BAME backgrounds are not taking the vaccine? There is, sadly, plenty of evidence of people being targeted by anti-vaxxers scaring people into not taking the vaccine with lots of untrue accusations. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that such adverts find their way into certain demographics (elderly, BAME, people who collect stamps) because of othe algorithms used on social media platforms like Facebook.
    I don't see being in a pub in the summer and catching it is anything like this. The 2 scenarios are worlds apart.
    These are people who are working in a virus hostile environment, given the means to get protection from it and thereby hopefully reduce the risk of passing it on to someone else, and knowing those things, wilfully refusing the means offered. Nothing like going to the pub in summer and catching it when there was no virus.
    It's like a lot of other things in life, you don't have to do X but you must understand that if you don't so X then you will not be permittted to do Y.
    As for the BAME community, yes they are unduly targetted, but mostly by their own people. And those working in a clinical environment with all the knowledge, whether taught or experienced that that gives, should know better. nnd not only know better but educate those that don't.
    However the refusal to take the vaccine and my comments on it were and are not directed at the BAME community, but to all in the medical and age caring professions that deliberately refuse to accept the protection.