+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    you are just talking about the commercial agreements, whereas I was talking about regulatory approvals which is where the biggest impact will be of divergence from Europe.
    No I'm not. Im talking about getting individual country approvals following regulatory approvals. Commercial agreements are the next level down from country approvals and often there are no commercial agreements beyond the list price.

Have you really had experience at launching prescription medicines??

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    No I'm not. Im talking about getting individual country approvals following regulatory approvals. Commercial agreements are the next level down from country approvals and often there are no commercial agreements beyond the list price.

Have you really had experience at launching prescription medicines??
    some yes, more so in medical devices. it's the just the "first hurdle" bit that's the most important for me.
    I'm sure. you're absolutely right that once regulatory approval is obtained for a new drug then country approvals will be pursued in many countries all at once.
    if the UK has different regulatory requirements then there is a real risk that the EU and USA will be considered first and the UK amongst the follow up countries.
    Happy to agree to disagree though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    some yes, more so in medical devices. it's the just the "first hurdle" bit that's the most important for me.
    I'm sure. you're absolutely right that once regulatory approval is obtained for a new drug then country approvals will be pursued in many countries all at once.
    if the UK has different regulatory requirements then there is a real risk that the EU and USA will be considered first and the UK amongst the follow up countries.
    Happy to agree to disagree though.

Rjk....this business was my bread and butter for many years, and I have to tell you that you are wrong.

Lets leave it at that otherwise we'll be discussing forever, and currently I'm more interested in tonight's match against Fulham

French bus driver dies following attack by passengers who refused to wear masks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sed-wear-masks

Sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    French bus driver dies following attack by passengers who refused to wear masks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sed-wear-masks

Sickening.
    I feel so sorry for the people who have to enforce this stuff - barstaff, shop staff, bus drivers. People who aren't paid a great deal anyway having to make people do something they don't want to do, it's unfair (and I say that as someone who is pro masks)

Banned

So, immunity short lived, virus on the rise in the US, UK likely to allow US travellers into the country ahead of winter, economy in decline, 45,000 (at least) dead - which part of Johnson's plan worked best?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    UK likely to allow US travellers into the country ahead of winter
    where have you got this from?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Twitter that bastion of truth and unbiased opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Twitter that bastion of truth and unbiased opinion
    What's untrue factually about what that video says? You can argue about the slant being put on those facts, but I think the chronological events described happened as they say they did.

What's untrue factually about what that video says? You can argue about the slant being put on those facts, but I think the chronological events described happened as they say they did.
    I was being a bit mischevious Bob.

It's not the video itself it is some of the dross that inevitably becomes attached to such a thread I was commenting.

Had a quick glance at the video itself ( I've seen this stuff so many times now I couldn't face going through it again at the moment ) and I agree it seems factually and chronologically correct.

As you say though it is the slant that is put on it.

And what is left out.

I was being a bit mischevious Bob.

It's not the video itself it is some of the dross that inevitably becomes attached to such a thread I was commenting.

Had a quick glance at the video itself ( I've seen this stuff so many times now I couldn't face going through it again at the moment ) and I agree it seems factually and chronologically correct.

As you say though it is the slant that is put on it.

And what is left out.
    Oh I can remember what was left out Elwood. Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock and Dominic Cummings all contracted the virus by not following their own advice to the letter. It's not "led by donkeys' it's led up the garden path by dishonest cretins'

Do you know how they caught it then?

Banned

They obviously caught it by socially distancing, not getting basics like haircuts for 3 months (notice all MPs seem to have hair that refuses to grow), by refusing to shake hands with covid sufferers and by refusing to have anyone in their home, and refusing to go to anyone's home.

Cummings was so adept at not catching it, he drove the length of England to demonstrate that, although he could catch it, noone else could get it from him - well noone of any importance anyway.

Johnson was so thankful at being kept alive that he decided it would be fitting to charge NHS staff to park at hospitals again.

Hancock was so pleased at being able to applaud the NHS that he still refuses to talk about proper remuneration for NHS staff.

Shielding to be be paused from August 16 if things continue as is.....interesting.

Yes I do

apparently Wales gave England more than 10 million pieces of PPE
    https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...ring-pandemic/

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Yes I do
    Do tell

Please ( I'm being polite today - make the most of it!)

Do tell

Please ( I'm being polite today - make the most of it!)
    They caught it by refusing to comply with the medical advice at the time, e.g. do not shake hands with masses of people just for cheap photo ops Mr Johnson... how's that for starters?

International

I see the UK death rate is staying below 100 on a day to day count. That must be good news.
    Considering the 'expected' spike from all those people on beaches several weeks ago and people mingling in English pubs there doesn't seem to have been one, and the incubation period is come and gone.

Seems like things may be better than people thought.

Boris Johnson saying how our response to Covid has been a success.

Population of the UK as a percentage of worldwide: roughly 0.85%.
    Covid deaths in the UK as a percentage of worldwide: roughly 7.7%.

and this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has called for an urgent review into how coronavirus deaths have been recorded in England.

It follows confirmation from Public Health England that reported deaths may have included people who tested positive months before they died.

The other UK nations only include those who die within 28 days of a positive test.

There have been 40,528 deaths linked to the virus in England.

Prof Carl Heneghan from University of Oxford, who spotted the issue with the data, told the BBC there was "huge variation" in the numbers of daily deaths reported in England by PHE.

While NHS England currently reports 30-35 deaths per day, Public Health England (PHE) data often shows double that or more, he said.

The reason is that anyone who has tested positive for coronavirus but then died at a later date of another cause would still be included in PHE's Covid-19 death figures.

"By this PHE definition, no one with Covid in England is allowed to ever recover from their illness," Prof Heneghan says.

"We need correct and accurate statistics so we can really understand the trend - otherwise it's very difficult to know what's going on," he added.

Figures release from PHE today show that just under 10% of coronavirus deaths in England happened more than 28 days after a positive test.

In almost half of those cases, Covid-19 was recorded as the main cause of death.

Dr Susan Hopkins, from Public Health England, said there was no agreed method of counting deaths from Covid-19.

"In England, we count all those that have died who had a positive Covid-19 test at any point, to ensure our data is as complete as possible.

"We must remember that this is a new and emerging infection and there is increasing evidence of long-term health problems for some of those affected."

"Now is the right time to review how deaths are calculated," Dr Hopkins said.

Prof David Spiegelhalter, professor of the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge, has called for the same systems for collecting data on deaths to be used across the UK.

There are also concerns over the impact on a potential second wave.

"As we go into the winter, it will get incredibly confusing and concerning if you have an increase in deaths while you are still counting and combining deaths from within the first phase," Prof Heneghan said.

"This means we might be unable to detect early trends in rising deaths if we put them down to historical deaths due to the inadequacies of the current system."

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    and this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has called for an urgent review into how coronavirus deaths have been recorded in England.

It follows confirmation from Public Health England that reported deaths may have included people who tested positive months before they died.

The other UK nations only include those who die within 28 days of a positive test.

There have been 40,528 deaths linked to the virus in England.

Prof Carl Heneghan from University of Oxford, who spotted the issue with the data, told the BBC there was "huge variation" in the numbers of daily deaths reported in England by PHE.

While NHS England currently reports 30-35 deaths per day, Public Health England (PHE) data often shows double that or more, he said.

The reason is that anyone who has tested positive for coronavirus but then died at a later date of another cause would still be included in PHE's Covid-19 death figures.

"By this PHE definition, no one with Covid in England is allowed to ever recover from their illness," Prof Heneghan says.

"We need correct and accurate statistics so we can really understand the trend - otherwise it's very difficult to know what's going on," he added.

Figures release from PHE today show that just under 10% of coronavirus deaths in England happened more than 28 days after a positive test.

In almost half of those cases, Covid-19 was recorded as the main cause of death.

Dr Susan Hopkins, from Public Health England, said there was no agreed method of counting deaths from Covid-19.

"In England, we count all those that have died who had a positive Covid-19 test at any point, to ensure our data is as complete as possible.

"We must remember that this is a new and emerging infection and there is increasing evidence of long-term health problems for some of those affected."

"Now is the right time to review how deaths are calculated," Dr Hopkins said.

Prof David Spiegelhalter, professor of the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge, has called for the same systems for collecting data on deaths to be used across the UK.

There are also concerns over the impact on a potential second wave.

"As we go into the winter, it will get incredibly confusing and concerning if you have an increase in deaths while you are still counting and combining deaths from within the first phase," Prof Heneghan said.

"This means we might be unable to detect early trends in rising deaths if we put them down to historical deaths due to the inadequacies of the current system."
    So nearly 10% of deaths over 28 days after positive Covid test and just under half of those Covid recorded as primary cause of death. So potentially nearly 5% over reporting in England compared to rest of UK - is that right?

New cases figures were up to over 800 on Saturday and over 700 yesterday - seems to me more of the same today would represent a definite upward trend.

New cases figures were up to over 800 on Saturday and over 700 yesterday - seems to me more of the same today would represent a definite upward trend.
    Better track, trace and testing perhaps?

Don’t laugh I’m being serious.