+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update

  1. #4381

    Re: Coronavirus update

    It's getting very close to a naming and shaming campaign for those who disobey the rules I think. Having your details published in the local media would probably be far more effective as a deterrent than a fine! After the clowns who went from Abercynon to Doncaster we now have the guy who went on a pub crawl instead of self isolating at home and starting a rise in infections in Bolton.

  2. #4382

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It's getting very close to a naming and shaming campaign for those who disobey the rules I think. Having your details published in the local media would probably be far more effective as a deterrent than a fine! After the clowns who went from Abercynon to Doncaster we now have the guy who went on a pub crawl instead of self isolating at home and starting a rise in infections in Bolton.
    That would lead to vigilante behaviour probably against the fools, more work for the already overstretched old bill. It would be good to name and shame them but it would lead to carnage in a country with so many stupid people.....

  3. #4383
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,972

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That would lead to vigilante behaviour probably against the fools, more work for the already overstretched old bill. It would be good to name and shame them but it would lead to carnage in a country with so many stupid people.....
    I'm sure the locals in Abercynon know exactly who the culprits were without putting it in the papers. It's a small world up there.

  4. #4384

    Re: Coronavirus update

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...d-science.html

    The only 'circuit break' in the pandemic we need now is from the government’s doom-mongering scientific advisers who specialise in causing panic and little else, say PROF CARL HENEGHAN and DR TOM JEFFERSON

  5. #4385

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...d-science.html

    The only 'circuit break' in the pandemic we need now is from the government’s doom-mongering scientific advisers who specialise in causing panic and little else, say PROF CARL HENEGHAN and DR TOM JEFFERSON
    Here’s another.....

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...OL-SIKORA.html

    I reckon there will be proper social unrest allover the UK if they try an impose a ridiculous lockdown again.....it’s not worth it when the negatives out way the positive. Just shut the pubs. Why should 99% suffer because of the actions of so few?

  6. #4386

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Covid-19 accounts for an average of 11 of the 1,687 deaths in Britain every day, according to official statistics.

    In comparison, 124 people died each day from flu and pneumonia in the week ending September 4.

    Heart disease – Britain’s biggest killer – accounted for 460 deaths every day last year, while cancer kills an average of 450 people per day.

    Around 87,000 people die of dementia each year – about 240 people a day. Lung disease accounts for 31,000 deaths, or 84 every day, while fatal accidents at home – often while doing DIY – lead to 16 deaths per day.

    Five people die every day in road accidents across the UK, while infections – including C.diff – and stomach bugs kill 5,937 a year, about 16 people a day.

    Last year, there were 5,691 deaths attributed to suicide, an average of 15 per day.


    We can’t stop any of these others yet the world keeps turning......

  7. #4387

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That would lead to vigilante behaviour probably against the fools, more work for the already overstretched old bill. It would be good to name and shame them but it would lead to carnage in a country with so many stupid people.....
    Didn't the UK Government Home Secretary and the Secretary of State for Health say that's exactly what people should do?

  8. #4388

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Covid-19 accounts for an average of 11 of the 1,687 deaths in Britain every day, according to official statistics.

    In comparison, 124 people died each day from flu and pneumonia in the week ending September 4.

    Heart disease – Britain’s biggest killer – accounted for 460 deaths every day last year, while cancer kills an average of 450 people per day.

    Around 87,000 people die of dementia each year – about 240 people a day. Lung disease accounts for 31,000 deaths, or 84 every day, while fatal accidents at home – often while doing DIY – lead to 16 deaths per day.

    Five people die every day in road accidents across the UK, while infections – including C.diff – and stomach bugs kill 5,937 a year, about 16 people a day.

    Last year, there were 5,691 deaths attributed to suicide, an average of 15 per day.


    We can’t stop any of these others yet the world keeps turning......
    Do you really, after 7 months of this, not understand that those death numbers happen with us all living normally, however if we live normally then the death numbers for coronavirus will grow and grow because it's incredibly easily spread?

    Flu - Not as fatal

    Pneumonia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Dementia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Cancer - not infectious
    Lung disease - not infectious
    DIY accidents - not infectious
    Road accidents - not infectious
    C-Diff - not infectious
    Suicide - not infectious

    I'm not saying that lockdown is the answer but just copy and pasting death statistics as some kind of argument is silly, think a bit

  9. #4389

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Do you really, after 7 months of this, not understand that those death numbers happen with us all living normally, however if we live normally then the death numbers for coronavirus will grow and grow because it's incredibly easily spread?

    Flu - Not as fatal

    Pneumonia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Dementia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Cancer - not infectious
    Lung disease - not infectious
    DIY accidents - not infectious
    Road accidents - not infectious
    C-Diff - not infectious
    Suicide - not infectious

    I'm not saying that lockdown is the answer but just copy and pasting death statistics as some kind of argument is silly, think a bit
    Being pedantic C-DIFF is infectious

  10. #4390

    Re: Coronavirus update

    I see the Chief Medical Officer is doing the briefing tomorrow not Boris.

    Must be serious then

  11. #4391

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I see the Chief Medical Officer is doing the briefing tomorrow not Boris.

    Must be serious then
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ic-coronavirus

    An acknowledgement that large sections of the population are ignoring what Johnson and his Cabinet members say on the virus just because it's coming from them? I'd say that the Cummings episode completely changed public perceptions about Government trustworthness on this subject.

  12. #4392

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I see the Chief Medical Officer is doing the briefing tomorrow not Boris.

    Must be serious then
    Predicted

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...d-science.html

  13. #4393

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Do you really, after 7 months of this, not understand that those death numbers happen with us all living normally, however if we live normally then the death numbers for coronavirus will grow and grow because it's incredibly easily spread?

    Flu - Not as fatal

    Pneumonia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Dementia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Cancer - not infectious
    Lung disease - not infectious
    DIY accidents - not infectious
    Road accidents - not infectious
    C-Diff - not infectious
    Suicide - not infectious

    I'm not saying that lockdown is the answer but just copy and pasting death statistics as some kind of argument is silly, think a bit
    Pandemic flu would be much worse

  14. #4394

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Pandemic flu would be much worse
    Why do you say that? It's early days, but it seems that covid is more deadly than flu, and is more contagious than normal flu (about equal to pandemic flu).

    In what ways would it be much worse?

  15. #4395

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Do you really, after 7 months of this, not understand that those death numbers happen with us all living normally, however if we live normally then the death numbers for coronavirus will grow and grow because it's incredibly easily spread?

    Flu - Not as fatal

    Pneumonia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Dementia - not infectious
    Heart disease - not infectious
    Cancer - not infectious
    Lung disease - not infectious
    DIY accidents - not infectious
    Road accidents - not infectious
    C-Diff - not infectious
    Suicide - not infectious

    I'm not saying that lockdown is the answer but just copy and pasting death statistics as some kind of argument is silly, think a bit

    Not quite right...

    Pneumonia is infectious

    C-Diff is very infectious

    Lung disease....depends what the cause is...eg TB is infectious

  16. #4396

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Why do you say that? It's early days, but it seems that covid is more deadly than flu, and is more contagious than normal flu (about equal to pandemic flu).

    In what ways would it be much worse?
    Heard lots of doctors say this, that’s why I’d say that.

  17. #4397

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Heard lots of doctors say this, that’s why I’d say that.
    I've not heard any doctors saying that.

  18. #4398

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've not heard any doctors saying that.
    I have, I live next door to about 8 and know a few.....we try to manage flu now with a jab and it can still kill 30,000 a year which we don’t even hear about.

    Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

  19. #4399

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I have, I live next door to about 8 and know a few.....we try to manage flu now with a jab and it can still kill 30,000 a year which we don’t even hear about.

    Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649
    So in a bad year, the flu can kill less in a year than coronavirus has in six months. Not that I'm questioning the 8 doctors next door of course.

  20. #4400

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I have, I live next door to about 8 and know a few.....we try to manage flu now with a jab and it can still kill 30,000 a year which we don’t even hear about.

    Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649
    We know about managing flu. Thing about Covid is the we have no natural immunity to it, no memory of it in our immune system.

    Additionally people can spread it before they have symptoms, and some don't develop symptoms.

    There is no preventive medicine, unlike flu where a vaccine is proven to prevent in most people. Imagine how bad flu would be without a vaccine.

    So the only preventive action we can take is hygiene, keeping away from others, keeping rooms well ventilated, using masks and using tissues when coughing or sneezing.

    Simple stuff but lots of people don't want to stick by the rules.

  21. #4401

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    We know about managing flu. Thing about Covid is the we have no natural immunity to it, no memory of it in our immune system.

    Additionally people can spread it before they have symptoms, and some don't develop symptoms.

    There is no preventive medicine, unlike flu where a vaccine is proven to prevent in most people. Imagine how bad flu would be without a vaccine.

    So the only preventive action we can take is hygiene, keeping away from others, keeping rooms well ventilated, using masks and using tissues when coughing or sneezing.

    Simple stuff but lots of people don't want to stick by the rules.
    Agree with all that and would add that, although there are plenty around who would swear otherwise, this is a virus that, officially, has only been affecting humans for ten months - we must, surely, need to have had it around for at least a couple of years before we can be as confident about it as some on here are.

  22. #4402

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance are giving a briefing today at 11.00am. Drakeford then at lunchtime and Boris tomorrow. I'm fully expecting to hear future plans over the next few weeks for new lockdown measures if people don't start listening, perhaps even national ones if the numbers keep going up.
    A kind of shot across the bow warning from them. Hope it dosn't come to that but people still not listening i don't see what other choice they have? The government are obviously very worried again.

  23. #4403

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Being pedantic C-DIFF is infectious
    Supporting C-DIFF City is

  24. #4404

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I have, I live next door to about 8 and know a few.....we try to manage flu now with a jab and it can still kill 30,000 a year which we don’t even hear about.

    Covid: Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649
    Gosh, if you live next door to 8 are you concerned about the overcrowding?

  25. #4405

    Re: Coronavirus update

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-chris-whitty

    The outlook is looking very positive.

  26. #4406

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Today's briefing by Whitty and Valance made grim viewing with up to 50000 cases a day within the next few weeks if action isn't taken. For a start it would help if people obeyed the existing rules. What was said today made so much better sense and was in my view far more authentic coming from the experts rather than politicians. I'm not sure why Drakeford and Sturgeon have to do their press conferences later today; surely that would be better done by the medical and scientific staff who advise the politicians in Wales and Scotland and presumably interpret the data and policies coming from the experts in Whitehall. Boris is doing a press conference tomorrow presumably to announce the further actions to be taken.

    Those who try and minimise the effects of COVID are sadly misguided in my view. I have a son working on the front line and he tells me the illness is a horrible way to die. It is so infectious many NHS workers on the front line are even isolating themselves from their children living separately from their families. So who should the public listen to? The COVID deniers and minimisers on random message boards and social media or the medical experts who have spent a lifetime building their reputations as they progress in their professions? I know who I believe.

  27. #4407

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agree with all that and would add that, although there are plenty around who would swear otherwise, this is a virus that, officially, has only been affecting humans for ten months - we must, surely, need to have had it around for at least a couple of years before we can be as confident about it as some on here are.
    Flu has been around forever, we have a vaccine of sorts and yet it still wipes out up to 30,000 some winters. If we can take anything from all this it’s be far more hygienic, social distancing might also become normal for a few years

  28. #4408

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Gosh, if you live next door to 8 are you concerned about the overcrowding?
    Only when we all get in the hot tub

  29. #4409

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Flu has been around forever, we have a vaccine of sorts and yet it still wipes out up to 30,000 some winters. If we can take anything from all this it’s be far more hygienic, social distancing might also become normal for a few years
    In the Southern hemisphere flu is down to 5-10% levels of last year. Even basic social distancing rules have halted it's transmission during winter.

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-coronavirus

  30. #4410

    Re: Coronavirus update

    Welsh Press Conference by Vaughan Gethin on now. So the previous post saying it would be done by Drakeford is presumably incorrect unless he is coming on later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •