Here's a link for anyone interested:
    https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Have you got a link or a bigger graph?
    https://twitter.com/PublicHealthW/st...196527104?s=20

International

I'm beginning to think nothing anyone does is going to stop this until they find a vaccine or two.
    It hardly bears thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'm beginning to think nothing anyone does is going to stop this until they find a vaccine or two.
    It hardly bears thinking about.
    Its not going to. Some of the latest reports on vaccines are not pointing to a game changer any time soon either.

Johnson though has promised 10m tests a day.

That will allow some sort of normality before a vaccine.

Im suprised he isnt being questioned about this. If its more of his bullshit then the Tories need be removing him along with his entire front bench.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its not going to. Some of the latest reports on vaccines are not pointing to a game changer any time soon either.

Im suprised he isnt being questioned about this. If its more of his bullshit then the Tories need be removing him along with his entire front bench.
    They said on monday they were "on target" to acheive it. That is the capacity to analyse them, not collect them.
    But either way I'll believe it when it happens,

International

They said on monday they were "on target" to acheive it. That is the capacity to analyse them, not collect them.
    But either way I'll believe it when it happens,
    The problem with tests is that people ( like doctors, nurses ,ancillary staff ,carers) will need testing over and over again. If you're clear today it doesn't mean you'll be clear tomorrow. It's just like a car MOT, just a snapshot of one day.

10m tests a day is a virtually impossible target to meet considering we are only testing up to 588000 at the moment. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

One scientist said on TV yesterday that, like the common cold and flu, this virus will be with us forever and we will just have to live with it.

The vaccines likely to be available next year are not the answer as they are short lived and will require several treatments per year to be effective. Work is going on to find improved vaccines but they won't be forthcoming for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    10m tests a day is a virtually impossible target to meet considering we are only testing up to 588000 at the moment. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

One scientist said on TV yesterday that, like the common cold and flu, this virus will be with us forever and we will just have to live with it.

The vaccines likely to be available next year are not the answer as they are short lived and will require several treatments per year to be effective. Work is going on to find improved vaccines but they won't be forthcoming for a while yet.
    So much doom.....The new tests are like pregnancy tests aren’t they? So can be done at home. Drakeford was saying today that they will be the way we get things back to normal post firebreak didn’t he? Let’s hope it comes off soon.
    Didn’t Valance say the other day the Oxford vaccine is looking good for some to have before Christmas? Why doubt it.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So much doom.....The new tests are like pregnancy tests aren’t they? So can be done at home. Drakeford was saying today that they will be the way we get things back to normal post firebreak didn’t he? Let’s hope it comes off soon.
    Didn’t Valance say the other day the Oxford vaccine is looking good for some to have before Christmas? Why doubt it.....
    I'm not doubting it. I presume you know that the Oxford vaccine is delivered in 2 doses 28 days apart. NHS staff and carers will begin getting the vaccine early next month. Good news. However, Immunity declines after 3 months so if people want the best protection they will need up to 4 a year. Thus the vaccine or the alternatives which are being worked on are not the total answer but it is hoped the next generation of vaccines will be better. I am not decrying the achievements of the Oxford people but all I was saying (not with the greatest of clarity I accept) is that there are better vaccines to come.

I'm not doubting it. I presume you know that the Oxford vaccine is delivered in 2 doses 28 days apart. NHS staff and carers will begin getting the vaccine early next month. Good news. However, Immunity declines after 3 months so if people want the best protection they will need up to 4 a year. Thus the vaccine or the alternatives which are being worked on are not the total answer but it is hoped the next generation of vaccines will be better. I am not decrying the achievements of the Oxford people but all I was saying (not with the greatest of clarity I accept) is that there are better vaccines to come.
    I meant to say the vaccine will be given to NHS and carers in December and not next month. Too late to edit. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...t-nhs-22901794

It hasnt been confirmed that any vaccination to anyone will begin in December.

We dont even have confirmation that one works yet.

There is plenty online about NHS and care staff getting the vaccine in December but I found a link from the Mirror as I know from past experience linking articles from the Mail and Sun for example attracts abuse. However, here's one from the Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...S-workers.html

It sounds pretty conclusive to me when an NHS Trust e mails its staff telling them to get ready to receive the vaccine in December. Of course the rest of the population will get the vaccine much later as it is rolled out to the various priority groups.

Oh well, survival of the fittest then is it....

They dont know If immunity declines after 3 months with the potential vaccine yet do they? That’s just with people who have already had the virus maybe isn’t it? I was reading about Vietnam today, about 30 deaths in 90 million people. They must surely have some genetic immunity in those countries, South Korea, China, Japan etc....

It will be a huge boost with the long winter ahead if news that a vaccine shows that it offers protection even if its just effective to say 50% of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They dont know If immunity declines after 3 months with the potential vaccine yet do they? That’s just with people who have already had the virus maybe isn’t it? I was reading about Vietnam today, about 30 deaths in 90 million people. They must surely have some genetic immunity in those countries, South Korea, China, Japan etc....
    I don't know. I was just quoting from a scientist on Sky news yesterday but that could have just been his opinion and not a universal one.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/...795732490?s=21

Those who have been careless about the virus can **** off... dragging us ALL down just because they are damn impatient! And if they didn’t go on holiday (assuming minority are for essential visits) then this strain wouldn’t be here! Like do they need a bloody holiday!? They are reducing the security of others just for that ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/...795732490?s=21

Those who have been careless about the virus can **** off... dragging us ALL down just because they are damn impatient! And if they didn’t go on holiday (assuming minority are for essential visits) then this strain wouldn’t be here! Like do they need a bloody holiday!? They are reducing the security of others just for that ffs!
    I wonder if we hadn’t allowed holidays abroad if we would be in a position similar to NZ now.

Article about the Eat-Out scheme:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...snt-sf-twitter

International

The scientists who said this specifically asked that the statement not be referred to vaccinations. They said that is not known to be true. They were worried about people putting their remarks against vaccoines and scare mongering.

What they said was that the antibodies that defend against the virus decline in those who have had the disease and recover by about 25% (I think) in the 3 months after they recover. However they also said that vaccines will be stronger and should give specific immunity for a much longer period. Historically that is what has happened with other vaccines, although boosters are sometimes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Just a quick update from me. First symptoms on Sept 16th, minor sore throat. 9 people caught Covid in the same meeting despite us using all of the benchmark measures. At no point have I had an elevated temperature, cough or loss of taste. For a week of so I had muscle fatigue, chronic gastric issues, diarrhea, ate nothing and drank gallons of water. That was followed by a week or so struggling to breath, dizziness & loss of co-ordination. Slowly over the last week things have got back to normal but with the occasional day where the breathing issues return. it's now just shy of 4 weeks and nearly sorted. One major continued showstopper is smoke, perfume or deodorant, which flattens me immediately! I've also lost nearly 2 stone in the last month.

I think I've got away relatively lightly. Be warned about the "symptoms", as in my case, I had "none" of the tell tale symptoms.

Update: now 45 days on from the C day. Of the 12 people in the (large) room, all wearing masks, socially distanced & disinfected, 9 people plus their families caught the virus.

My continued lasting effects are hyper-sensitivity to smoke, deodorant & perfume. Deodorant in particular instantly removes all of my breath, can be very scary. I also cannot drink any citrus juices or iced drinks as they start coughing fits.

Other than that, it seems to have gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Update: now 45 days on from the C day. Of the 12 people in the (large) room, all wearing masks, socially distanced & disinfected, 9 people plus their families caught the virus.

My continued lasting effects are hyper-sensitivity to smoke, deodorant & perfume. Deodorant in particular instantly removes all of my breath, can be very scary. I also cannot drink any citrus juices or iced drinks as they start coughing fits.

Other than that, it seems to have gone!
    This virus is so infectious as you have found out. Then you see those idiots dancing around in the street in Nottingham last night prior to entering tire 3 status. And today we had University students in Manchester saying they didn't know what Tier 3 is and it was difficult to find out. These were those who spend their lives on their phones and computers and it was difficult to find out FFS. With idiots like that there is no hope.

Anyway I'm glad you have got away with the virus relatively lightly. I have a son working on the front line who tells me those in the advance stages of the virus are very ill where deaths are escalating exponentially.

Remarkable, looks like a superspreader event where 1 person has infected many others within a confined space who have then gone on to infect others in their homes.

I know you caught it at work but evidence like this reminds me why I think opening indoor spaces where people sit together for social/recreational purposes for long periods of time like pubs, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, clubs etc would be a bad idea post-firebreak.

Get well soon!

The scientists who said this specifically asked that the statement not be referred to vaccinations. They said that is not known to be true. They were worried about people putting their remarks against vaccoines and scare mongering.

What they said was that the antibodies that defend against the virus decline in those who have had the disease and recover by about 25% (I think) in the 3 months after they recover. However they also said that vaccines will be stronger and should give specific immunity for a much longer period. Historically that is what has happened with other vaccines, although boosters are sometimes necessary.
    Vaccines produce a better immune response than getting the virus.