+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update - ALERT LEVEL ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cancelling the Wales v Scotland rugby match so late that town was already full of Jocks who just packed the pubs instead.
    Yep. I was cycling around on the Sunday morning and there were loads checking out of hotels making their way back to the station. They all had hotels booked so travelled anyway.
    Wasn't there's Stereophonics gig at the CIA that night aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Really?
    Decisions were being made in isolation to cancel some events whilst the government dithered over making a definitive decision over others and Boris was busy shaking hands of covid patients in hospital.
    Liverpool played Athletico Madrid with 4000 Spanish fans coming over. The Cheltenham festival went ahead and all they did was install a few hand sanitizers. The government should have acted at least 2 weeks earlier in cancelling these and other events, but instead thought that herd immunity was the way to go.
    Allowing flights here from India whilst banning those from neighbouring countries was a questionable decision aswell. Wasnt he trying to negotiate a trade deal at the time?
    I agree, I think they got almost every single decision wrong. Why did all those people go to Cheltenham knowing the risk? The Liverpool match, the jocks coming down for the rugby etc etc….I know people who went off ski ing the week or so before lockdown, no one seemed to give a shit, just carrying on going to things etc….

Right now my sister, her son, my brother in law, his wife, my sister in law & her daughter all have Covid, they live in 4 different parts of the UK and all 6 have been double jabbed!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Right now my sister, her son, my brother in law, his wife, my sister in law & her daughter all have Covid, they live in 4 different parts of the UK and all 6 have been double jabbed!
    Hope they're all okay Des, but that kind of goes to the heart of what that article is all about - the number of new cases in the UK is regularly around 40,000 a day and, more often than not, one hundred and fifty people a day are still dying of Covid. That article shows that the UK is one of the world's worst countries as far as current Covid rates are concerned and yet the attitude in England especially appears to be carry on as if things were back to normal - they clearly aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hope they're all okay Des, but that kind of goes to the heart of what that article is all about - the number of new cases in the UK is regularly around 40,000 a day and, more often than not, one hundred and fifty people a day are still dying of Covid. That article shows that the UK is one of the world's worst countries as far as current Covid rates are concerned and yet the attitude in England especially appears to be carry on as if things were back to normal - they clearly aren't.
    As I just wrote in another thread, it’s just not comprehensible from the outside. Here in Poland things have been back to normal since late July early August. Cases have risen in recent weeks but typically the UK is 20x - 30x worse. I’ve hosted a major customer event in the last fortnight, with visitors from all over Europe & Asia and everyone was very wary of contact with the Brits, to the point where we had to put extra testing & assurances in place. I’m not saying Poland has it right but why is the UK so much worse than any other comparable country?

As I just wrote in another thread, it’s just not comprehensible from the outside. Here in Poland things have been back to normal since late July early August. Cases have risen in recent weeks but typically the UK is 20x - 30x worse. I’ve hosted a major customer event in the last fortnight, with visitors from all over Europe & Asia and everyone was very wary of contact with the Brits, to the point where we had to put extra testing & assurances in place. I’m not saying Poland has it right but why is the UK so much worse than any other comparable country?
    Good question, my instinct is to say that the UK Government in particular have washed their hands of the whole thing and left people to get on with it with the inevitable consequences, but I've just had a look at the Welsh figures for the first time in a while and they're bad as well (new cases over 3,000 and 15 deaths in the past day) - it's certainly not what I was expecting once the large majority of people had been double jabbed.

Thirty seven and forty one died respectively as a direct result of the decisions to go ahead with the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid match and the Cheltenham festival in March of last year;-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...eld-to-account

we have been back to normal ( most restrictions removed ) in the UK since about the same time ( freedom ??? day was the 19th July )

We do test a lot ( normally around the 1 mill per day mark ), so maybe thats why our numbers are higher than other countries, if you don't test then you have low figures ( last time I saw the testing figures for Poland ( which was fairly recent ) it was around 25 - 35K a day ) at the end of the summer I believe Russia had the highest number of confirmed cases, guess what, they were also the highest testers ( even higher than the UK which is going some )

Dont test and you have very little cases , in the past 2 weeks 5 children have had Covid in my daughters class, not one had symptoms and were picked up with testing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we have been back to normal ( most restrictions removed ) in the UK since about the same time ( freedom ??? day was the 19th July )

We do test a lot ( normally around the 1 mill per day mark ), so maybe thats why our numbers are higher than other countries, if you don't test then you have low figures ( last time I saw the testing figures for Poland ( which was fairly recent ) it was around 25 - 35K a day ) at the end of the summer I believe Russia had the highest number of confirmed cases, guess what, they were also the highest testers ( even higher than the UK which is going some )

Dont test and you have very little cases , in the past 2 weeks 5 children have had Covid in my daughters class, not one had symptoms and were picked up with testing
    And yet our deaths figures are higher than most other countries.

Us testing more doesn’t make a difference if you compare the positivity rate and death rates.

I’ve actually got no idea why we are so much worse than everywhere else. Covid passports and mask mandates help, but to this extent?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And yet our deaths figures are higher than most other countries.
    countries appear to count Covid deaths in different ways though, so even with deaths you can't really compare like for like

it is all rather pointless comparing situations in other countries unless the playing field is level

countries appear to count Covid deaths in different ways though, so even with deaths you can't really compare like for like

it is all rather pointless comparing situations in other countries unless the playing field is level
    How are they counting them differently? They’re not counting them differently enough to account for ours being as high as they are in comparison.

The difference in the level playing field could be more because we are live in quite densely populated areas and use public transport a lot in this country. But even then I can’t imagine why it’s so much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How are they counting them differently? They’re not counting them differently enough to account for ours being as high as they are in comparison.

The difference in the level playing field could be more because we are live in quite densely populated areas and use public transport a lot in this country. But even then I can’t imagine why it’s so much worse.
    we are counting people who have had Covid in the 28 days before death aren't we ( unless thats changed ) some are just counting it when Covid is the cause of death ( or in a close indirect way )

Could they put the alert level back up so we don't have to go down to watch Cardiff play anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Could they put the alert level back up so we don't have to go down to watch Cardiff play anymore?
    No one will under this shitshow now anyway, barely any went to reading and West Brom games

Highest UK deaths in a day since March, you can dress it up how you like about other countries counting things differently, but this is getting much too much like Spring 2020 and last winter for my liking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hs-since-march

Only 45 deaths yesterday though, so maybe some recorded deaths have carried over to today ( which has happened in the past )

Must admit I would be wary of hugging my grandchildren at the moment! We don't see them very often during term-time as we live quite a way from them but it is scary the number of children who are being sent home to self-isolate because there are cases of COVID in their school. Also we have not had the booster jab yet, so feeling slightly more vulnerable than previously.

Sadly today, we found out that my Brother in law has been declared terminally ill with Covid. I wrote a few days back somewhat light heartedly that 6 of my immediate family all have Covid despite being double jabbed.

My BinL has dementia but none of us expected this turn of events & so quickly. The doctors have said that all of his body functions has ceased and there is nothing they can do other than wait for the inevitable.

virtually everyone I know has had Covid, including myself but this is the first time ( & hopefully the last ) of this ending.

We just prey & wait. :(

Sadly today, we found out that my Brother in law has been declared terminally ill with Covid. I wrote a few days back somewhat light heartedly that 6 of my immediate family all have Covid despite being double jabbed.

My BinL has dementia but none of us expected this turn of events & so quickly. The doctors have said that all of his body functions has ceased and there is nothing they can do other than wait for the inevitable.

virtually everyone I know has had Covid, including myself but this is the first time ( & hopefully the last ) of this ending.

Sorry to hear that mate

sorry to hear your news, best wishes to you and your family

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No one will under this shitshow now anyway, barely any went to reading and West Brom games
    I received a letter confirming my booster vaccine on 24 November and after hearing someone in charge of a body set up to counter Covid saying we have more cases than the rest of Europe put together, that strikes me as another valid reason to give City a miss for a month or so to add to all of the other ones currently.

Sad to read Des, it seems worse with someone who’s been double jabbed somehow, my best wishes to you and your family.

Only 45 deaths yesterday though, so maybe some recorded deaths have carried over to today ( which has happened in the past )
    Deaths always low on a Monday because Sunday reporting is always low.

7 day average and week to week is how to view it and unfortunately it’s getting bad.