+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update - ALERT LEVEL ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Poor old Boris always in the firing line. The Sky news item has three photos...One with Boris without whilst Sir David has one on, second both without, and then one with Boris wearing one and Sir David not. He can't win!!

Another thread on CCMB warns us not to be complacent, and whilst I see a lot of people without masks, too many for comfort, I see others pull a well worn disposable mask out of pocket or bag to put on before entering a shop. Such masks are intended for single use and certainly should be safely disposed of at the end of each day. They are unlikely to offer any benefit if used repeatedly.
    He’s the Prime Minister and as such should always be in the firing line. It goes with the territory, if he doesn’t like the heat he should get out of the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My message was about the claims that you’re somehow less likely to catch Covid from someone you know and was not meant to be party political except that it does seem to be a more prevalent view on one side of the political divide than the other.
    The science indicates that if you are within a metre of someone with covid for more than 10 minutes then the risk of catching increases significantly. The chances are that such close and prolonged contact will be with someone you know.

What’s the main age range of people dying at the moment? Is it France where they are telling the old and vulnerable/retired etc to self isolate? Maybe we should do that here until they all get a booster?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What’s the main age range of people dying at the moment? Is it France where they are telling the old and vulnerable/retired etc to self isolate? Maybe we should do that here until they all get a booster?
    This shows the latest figures for infection, hospitalisation and death - up to about 10 days ago - and includes a detailed age profile.

About 50 UK deaths in a week in the 25-55 age groups. Over 900 UK deaths in a week in the age groups from 55 and up.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nsights/deaths

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    This shows the latest figures for infection, hospitalisation and death - up to about 10 days ago - and includes a detailed age profile.

About 50 UK deaths in a week in the 25-55 age groups. Over 900 UK deaths in a week in the age groups from 55 and up.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nsights/deaths
    Does it say if they’ve had a vaccine or not? A few weeks ago it was 75% who hadn’t ending up in hospital or dying, I wonder if that’s still the case….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59220668

Frontline NHS staff in some Welsh hospitals were not regularly tested for Covid-19 until near the end of the second wave, BBC research has found.

Does it say if they’ve had a vaccine or not? A few weeks ago it was 75% who hadn’t ending up in hospital or dying, I wonder if that’s still the case….
    For some reason those figures aren't readily published, which is strange when you consider what an incentive it would be for those who haven't had the vaccine. I quote the Govt :
    The age adjusted risk of death involving COVID-19 was 32 times greater in unvaccinated compared with fully vaccinated people (between 2 January and 24 September 2021)

Austrians are days away from a first lockdown for anyone not fully vaccinated,

Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said a national lockdown for the unvaccinated was "probably inevitable".
    Two-thirds of people should not suffer because others were hesitant, he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59245018

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Austrians are days away from a first lockdown for anyone not fully vaccinated,

Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said a national lockdown for the unvaccinated was "probably inevitable".
    Two-thirds of people should not suffer because others were hesitant, he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59245018
    I wonder how they would police that? Keeping them indoors is going to be difficult is it not? Maybe it would be simpler just to deny them healthcare via the nhs (if we did it here) if they contract it, most clearly think they are safe from getting it and surely they don’t want to be a burden on our beleaguered nhs?

Test and Trace due to be scrapped in Operation Rampdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ures-year.html

I don’t agree with denying people healthcare for a single disease especially as you can still catch it and pass it on …. why don’t we deny healthcare for obese people, drug addicts, speeding drivers etc etc on that basis then?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Test and Trace due to be scrapped in Operation Rampdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ures-year.html
    Well that's £37 billion well spent then.

Well that's £37 billion well spent then.

How many hospitals could they have built with even half that amount …..I wonder if there will be a public enquiry into its failure ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I don’t agree with denying people healthcare for a single disease especially as you can still catch it and pass it on …. why don’t we deny healthcare for obese people, drug addicts, speeding drivers etc etc on that basis then?
    I agree we shouldn’t be denying health care but being vaccinated lowers your chance of catching it and lowers your chance of passing it on. It isn’t a comparable situation and we would be in a better situation if everyone got jabbed.

last post was 3 days ago

a New Mutation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59418127

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    last post was 3 days ago

a New Mutation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59418127
    Bloody hell here we go again. The governments and scientists must be shitting for them to put the whole of Southern Africa in quarantine effectively.
    Blues and scarlets rugby teams flew out over there the other day aswell so they’ll be on a mad panic to get back I would have thought.

"BBC Africa correspondent Andrew Harding said scientists in South Africa were trying to understand the mutations of the new variant but the one thing they did know was that it was far more transmissible.

He said there was unhappiness at the new red listing by other countries, with scientists saying the country needed more support and more reward for spotting the new variant.

At the moment around 500 and 700 people are travelling to the UK from South Africa each day, but this figure was likely to have increased as the festive period began".

Pretty scary stuff. Immediate travel ban required this time please.

The more variants that appear now the better so we can find improved vaccine, better that than seeing vaccination improvements scaled back .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The more variants that appear now the better so we can find improved vaccine, better that than seeing vaccination improvements scaled back .
    This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

You get the feeling this virus doesn’t just want to fade away……I’d also hope those scientists that developed the current old vaccines have developed new improved ones already for the coming year

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post

"BBC Africa correspondent Andrew Harding said scientists in South Africa were trying to understand the mutations of the new variant but the one thing they did know was that it was far more transmissible.

He said there was unhappiness at the new red listing by other countries, with scientists saying the country needed more support and more reward for spotting the new variant.

At the moment around 500 and 700 people are travelling to the UK from South Africa each day, but this figure was likely to have increased as the festive period began".

Pretty scary stuff. Immediate travel ban required this time please.
    Looks like a travel ban is on from today. Cardiff rugby team plus fans are in South Africa and trying to find an immediate way home

You get the feeling this virus doesn’t just want to fade away……I’d also hope those scientists that developed the current old vaccines have developed new improved ones already for the coming year
    I remember the times when "experts" would be interviewed saying that the existing vaccines would only need to tweaked a little to be able to cope with new variants when they arose and that this process should only take something like six weeks to a couple of months. That's certainly not been the case with the Delta variant and so I'm sure that it'll be the same for this new variant - it'll reach the UK eventually and I think all we can do is hope that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as feared because I don't see us being given vaccines next year which will make us completely safe from it.

Was on the London Underground last evening, packed like sardines, 1 in 3 not wearing masks, people coughing, grab handles & poles shared. I’ll be taking a taxi today!

I remember the times when "experts" would be interviewed saying that the existing vaccines would only need to tweaked a little to be able to cope with new variants when they arose and that this process should only take something like six weeks to a couple of months. That's certainly not been the case with the Delta variant and so I'm sure that it'll be the same for this new variant - it'll reach the UK eventually and I think all we can do is hope that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as feared because I don't see us being given vaccines next year which will make us completely safe from it.
    How do you know they haven’t been tweaking and testing them over the last year? I bet you they have, let’s face it they sorted the initial one out pretty quickly. No doubt using up stocks of what we already have as they still work.