+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update - ALERT LEVEL ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    its a brave bold call to stay with " plan b " it would have been easier for him to put more restrictions in place, but he is thinking of the bigger picture
    A "brave, bold call"? He's a prisoner of the Libertarian wing of his own party, he's got no choice but to stick with Plan B even though he's admitted the NHS could be overwhelmed in the coming weeks;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-boris-johnson

He may be proved right, but the decisions he's taking are more to do with public finance and Conservative Party politics than bravery and/or boldness.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Time to get back to normal

Is this what NHS staff should say to the hordes that turn up to hospitals as they turn them away ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Living in fear of a potential politically fatal backlash from his own backbenchers and would-be assassins in his own Cabinet if further restrictions were mooted is many things but brave is not one of them!
    The guy is a reckless chancer.

Living in fear of a potential politically fatal backlash from his own backbenchers and would-be assassins in his own Cabinet if further restrictions were mooted is many things but brave is not one of them!
    Yes, they are the 'bigger picture' not the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Is this what NHS staff should say to the hordes that turn up to hospitals as they turn them away ?

I agree , the hordes should avoid hospitals at all costs

20.7% of the new daily hospital patients with Covid-19 in England caught the virus within hospital.

In the past 7 days 2,870 caught it within hospital

➡️ 54,688 in total since August 2020

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A "brave, bold call"? He's a prisoner of the Libertarian wing of his own party, he's got no choice but to stick with Plan B even though he's admitted the NHS could be overwhelmed in the coming weeks;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-boris-johnson

He may be proved right, but the decisions he's taking are more to do with public finance and Conservative Party politics than bravery and/or boldness.
    As we say in football, results don't lie. Despite our cautious approach in Wales nearly 13% of Covid cases recorded in UK over the last 7 days were in Wales. Considering we are about 5% of UK population that's a worrying stat.

Re: Coronavirus update - LIVING IN OMICRON TIMES

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    As we say in football, results don't lie. Despite our cautious approach in Wales nearly 13% of Covid cases recorded in UK over the last 7 days were in Wales. Considering we are about 5% of UK population that's a worrying stat.
    Arent we catching up with England though.
    Thought we were about 2 weeks behind and we are now showing the steep increase in cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Thought we were about 2 weeks behind and we are now showing the steep increase in cases.
    Well if we are catching up with England it strongly suggests that the extra steps taken to protect us in Wales have had no impact at all except to damage the welsh economy

Where did you read that statistic?

The 7 day rolling average per day I had seen for Wales is about 10.5k against a UK average of over 180k. That's less than 6% by my maths.

Covid restrictions in Wales should return to pre-Omicron levels, according to a senior epidemiologist:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59880877

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Covid restrictions in Wales should return to pre-Omicron levels, according to a senior epidemiologist:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59880877
    I'd be shocked if anything changes this week, maybe by the end of January though

Where did you read that statistic?

The 7 day rolling average per day I had seen for Wales is about 10.5k against a UK average of over 180k. That's less than 6% by my maths.
    The latest 7 days on PHE website 'cases by date reported' for each of the 4 home nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If (when) Wales’ stats reach England levels or even exceed them, surely that is all the evidence you need that the extra restrictions are doing naff all.

Sure there will be some other reason given though.

The latest 7 days on PHE website 'cases by date reported' for each of the 4 home nations.
    Well the cases by area (last 7 days) are here

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

Wales 75k out of 1.15 million. Looks like your source or maths are askew

Basically, the same as England. Considering Wales has consistently had tighter rules and more restrictions than England, it seems they weren't needed - other than of course, to show how 'different' we are from England.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Basically, the same as England. Considering Wales has consistently had tighter rules and more restrictions than England, it seems they weren't needed - other than of course, to show how 'different' we are from England.
    I thought the new Welsh restrictions kicked in a week ago or have I got that wrong?

Thanks Cyril. The source was good, my maths were bad....

However based on those latest 7 day figures the rate per capita in Wales is well above the other home nations. England 84.3% of the UK population 80.3% of the cases. Scotland 8.2% of the population 8.8% of the cases, NI 2.8% and 3.8% of the cases, Wales 4.7% of UK population and 6.9% of the cases.

I'm sure you'll check the maths! Drakeford's rules are not producing results

However based on those latest 7 day figures the rate per capita in Wales is well above the other home nations. England 84.3% of the UK population 80.3% of the cases. Scotland 8.2% of the population 8.8% of the cases, NI 2.8% and 3.8% of the cases, Wales 4.7% of UK population and 6.9% of the cases.

Like I said to AQM. The latest restrictions came in just over a week ago and isn't there an average 5 day gap between catching the virus and symptoms showing. If that's the case then there is a greater argument for the restrictions given the comparative case levels. I would have thought it is rather premature to cast judgement but not being resident in Wales I am not as close to the situation as some.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If the rules were followed then maybe there would be a difference but you cannot police the whole population.

I think it probably points to a couple of things - People's attitudes towards the restrictions and the transmissibility of this variant.

It's better to be safe than sorry and taking a cautious approach at the very least shows essential workers that the government is aware of their struggles and is trying to make things easier for them.

Boris Johnson's words and policy is a kick in the face for people in the NHS who are overworked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...igures-omicron

Just shows how wary we need to be in interpreting bald statistics. This article states that Wales is the only part of the UK that counts cases of reinfection in its daily totals.

Just shows how wary we need to be in interpreting bald statistics. This article states that Wales is the only part of the UK that counts cases of reinfection in its daily totals.

This probably explains why hospitalisations in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 are so low in comparison to “cases” recorded.

The problem is with counting cases , it will always be artificially high thus making a return to some semblance of normality a long way off. Perhaps it’s by design.

Drakeford will always find a way to justify what he's doing. Even if it makes little sense he'll spin it to suit.

His wording will will always have an undercurrent of fearmongering just to keep us a tad fearful of our own shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Drakeford will always find a way to justify what he's doing. Even if it makes little sense he'll spin it to suit.

His wording will will always have an undercurrent of fearmongering just to keep us a tad fearful of our own shadows.
    Absolutely, apparently, he is still hasn’t provided data which justifies the current uptick in restrictions.

Provided the positive tests are more than 42 days apart, otherwise they are not recorded

Really interesting information in this latest broadcast.
    Recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1u...r.JohnCampbell