+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update - LIVING IN OMICRON TIMES

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Drakeford will always find a way to justify what he's doing. Even if it makes little sense he'll spin it to suit.

His wording will will always have an undercurrent of fearmongering just to keep us a tad fearful of our own shadows.
    A while back he was banging on about how case rates were not really relevant anymore, only hospitalisations mattered…..

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The fact I know loads of people with it currently and all of them are far healthier than if they had the flu means this omicron is the best thing to happen in the last 2 years of this virus.

Time to get back to normal
    Yes, the staff shortages as more and more people end up in isolation are great news. I'm seeing supermarkets struggling to get some items on shelves. Transport providers are struggling to maintain services.

People are still dying of this new variant. I lost a friend in his fifties, fit as a fiddle, who had Covid. He had a heart attack, rare but Covid is known for occasionally causing heart problems, and didn't make the ambulance ride to hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, the staff shortages as more and more people end up in isolation are great news. I'm seeing supermarkets struggling to get some items on shelves. Transport providers are struggling to maintain services.

People are still dying of this new variant. I lost a friend in his fifties, fit as a fiddle, who had Covid. He had a heart attack, rare but Covid is known for occasionally causing heart problems, and didn't make the ambulance ride to hospital.

Whilst every death with Covid is an absolute tragedy, 🚨 #Covid19 was involved in 6.5% of deaths across Eng/Wales for the most recent week

◾️ 93.5 % of deaths were non Covid19

◾️ Number of deaths (all causes) in private homes was 34% above the 5-year average. Since pandemic an excess of 82.8k deaths

Source: ONS

To concentrate so much on one illness after a hugely positive vaccine take up , is not right. We need to move on and risk manage the people who are vulnerable don’t we ?

RIP to your mate, amongst all the ‘let’s get back to normal’, ‘Drakeford’s talking crap’, ‘Its only a cold’ merchants spouting off, something like this brings it home that it’s still something to be very wary of and, perhaps, in the long run those who’ve lost loved ones will be thankful for the restrictions with the attitude there but for the grace of God go I.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Whilst every death with Covid is an absolute tragedy, 🚨 #Covid19 was involved in 6.5% of deaths across Eng/Wales for the most recent week

◾️ 93.5 % of deaths were non Covid19

◾️ Number of deaths (all causes) in private homes was 34% above the 5-year average. Since pandemic an excess of 82.8k deaths

Source: ONS

To concentrate so much on one illness after a hugely positive vaccine take up , is not right. We need to move on and risk manage the people who are vulnerable don’t we ?
    No, we need to make sure the number of cases doesn't skyrocket. Imagine what would happen if double the number of people were being infected? More and more people would be isolating and not working, essential services would be hit even harder. There's still a need for some caution.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

RIP to your mate, amongst all the ‘let’s get back to normal’, ‘Drakeford’s talking crap’, ‘Its only a cold’ merchants spouting off, something like this brings it home that it’s still something to be very wary of and, perhaps, in the long run those who’ve lost loved ones will be thankful for the restrictions with the attitude there but for the grace of God go I.
    It might just be me, but I find the vast majority of people who want an end to all these restrictions are those who haven't been personally affected by Covid.

It might just be me, but I find the vast majority of people who want an end to all these restrictions are those who haven't been personally affected by Covid.

You may have a point to a certain extent , however ,from my perspective I know of people who have had critical, potentially life saving operations cancelled, I have lost friends through suicide and closer to home I see the NHS have extended cervical cancer screening times , it’s worrying.

I have not been able to visit my mum for nearly a year due to restrictions and she is poorly and in a home and she is lonely and lost. The care home staff are leaving in droves and the staff who are left are young and inexperienced…. Her home was on BBC news due to numerous safeguard concerns which she was part of.

My son has had his education decimated, his swimming lessons have been cancelled for over a year ( a life skill) and the current set up is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Quite right. We are still in very troubling times, and we all should be cautious, even when there are siren voices calling for restrictions to end.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    You may have a point to a certain extent , however ,from my perspective I know of people who have had critical, potentially life saving operations cancelled, I have lost friends through suicide and closer to home I see the NHS have extended cervical cancer screening times , it’s worrying.

I have not been able to visit my mum for nearly a year due to restrictions and she is poorly and in a home and she is lonely and lost. The care home staff are leaving in droves and the staff who are left are young and inexperienced…. Her home was on BBC news due to numerous safeguard concerns which she was part of.

My son has had his education decimated, his swimming lessons have been cancelled for over a year ( a life skill) and the current set up is not very good.
    Which is all the more reason to be cautious. If you decide to remove all restrictions, let the virus spread like wildfire, even more carehome staff will be absent, even more teachers will be absent, more things like swimming lessons will be cancelled, NHS waiting times will be extended further as there are less staff.

The other choice is to stop isolating if you have Covid, but that's not good news for the vulnerable.

Which is all the more reason to be cautious. If you decide to remove all restrictions, let the virus spread like wildfire, even more carehome staff will be absent, even more teachers will be absent, more things like swimming lessons will be cancelled, NHS waiting times will be extended further as there are less staff.

The other choice is to stop isolating if you have Covid, but that's not good news for the vulnerable.
    The question is surely whether the current restrictions (or indeed any restrictions in the long run) are achieving anything

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    The question is surely whether the current restrictions (or indeed any restrictions in the long run) are achieving anything
    Any limiting contacts will have some affect.

https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/...NM2CBfQuQ&s=19

Looks like there probably won't be any real changes for at least 2 weeks

This obsession with Wales largest pub being open in February.

If they do open it then ban the sale of booze.

Thousands of pissed up people queing at bars vomiting throwing beer about isnt the best thing after restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    This obsession with Wales largest pub being open in February.

If they do open it then ban the sale of booze.

Thousands of pissed up people queing at bars vomiting throwing beer about isnt the best thing after restrictions.
    I'd be interested to see how many fewer people would buy tickets if you couldn't buy booze inside

No, we need to make sure the number of cases doesn't skyrocket. Imagine what would happen if double the number of people were being infected? More and more people would be isolating and not working, essential services would be hit even harder. There's still a need for some caution.
    Stop talking sense.

Any limiting contacts will have some affect.
    Is it therefore fair to assume that once the dust settles Wales’ stats will look better than England’s? The stats which matter - serious illness.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Is it therefore fair to assume that once the dust settles Wales’ stats will look better than England’s? The stats which matter - serious illness.
    Well there will eventually be an enquiry into the handling of the pandemic.

Many factors will be looked at.

Low vaccination rates in areas , appalling disregard of rules by ministers giving a us and them attitude , furlough availability , late lockdowns , delays of resticting international travel , PPE , previous austerity and whether the NHS was sufficiently funded and staffed for a pandemic and the individual actions of each parliament.

Also where the higher death rates are and where. Care Homes , poorer more built up areas.?

2nd day of decrease in infection rate.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eaths-22698523

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    This is exactly the kind of data that's relevant. The media's obsession with numbers of +ve cases stems from the early days of the pandemic.

Natural selection in action. I've lost count of the number of posts highlighting this including the myths about age etc. I think that moving forward, we should move away from politicians fronting public health campaigns. They're unqualified, inappropriate, and misleading.

Edit: not a critique of your post btw - it's really interesting and glad you posted

If I’m being thick then I apologise.

What I see here is that Wales’ hospitalisations per million were well below England’s, then the Boxing Day restrictions came in and they’ve gone up ever since.

Now England is going down and Wales is going up.

Another significant drop.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eaths-22711554

Time for crowds back. I really dont see the justification on us playing behind closed doors.