Today's briefing by Whitty and Valance made grim viewing with up to 50000 cases a day within the next few weeks if action isn't taken. For a start it would help if people obeyed the existing rules. What was said today made so much better sense and was in my view far more authentic coming from the experts rather than politicians. I'm not sure why Drakeford and Sturgeon have to do their press conferences later today; surely that would be better done by the medical and scientific staff who advise the politicians in Wales and Scotland and presumably interpret the data and policies coming from the experts in Whitehall. Boris is doing a press conference tomorrow presumably to announce the further actions to be taken.

Those who try and minimise the effects of COVID are sadly misguided in my view. I have a son working on the front line and he tells me the illness is a horrible way to die. It is so infectious many NHS workers on the front line are even isolating themselves from their children living separately from their families. So who should the public listen to? The COVID deniers and minimisers on random message boards and social media or the medical experts who have spent a lifetime building their reputations as they progress in their professions? I know who I believe.