+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Goats has been on record to say he literally lives next door to 8 doctors and knows a few more so I wouldn't diss him just yet.
    Oxford vaccine 70% effective. It uses more traditional technology bit like the flu vaccine and with similar effectiveness.

So here is a vaccine that is much easier to store and administer but 25% less effective, and it's the one UK has purchased 100m doses of.

Maybe the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be given to the elderly and the Oxford rolled out to the general population.

All good news and the sooner its available the better

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Oxford vaccine 70% effective. It uses more traditional technology bit like the flu vaccine and with similar effectiveness.

So here is a vaccine that is much easier to store and administer but 25% less effective, and it's the one UK has purchased 100m doses of.

Maybe the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be given to the elderly and the Oxford rolled out to the general population.

This is what my “mate” told me last week, he said about 90% though, he must have meant the people they gave half a dose, then another full dose too.....still, good news I guess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Interesting line about how the effectiveness rose to 80 per cent in people given an initial half dose and then a full dose.

From what I understand, this is a field where 50 per cent effectiveness is considered good, so I'm not sure I buy that bit about 70 per cent being a "disappointment" and I don't get how thirty cases of Covid among those who were given the vaccine and 101 in those given a dummy works out at 70 per cent protection when 20,000 people were involved in the testing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Interesting line about how the effectiveness rose to 80 per cent in people given an initial half dose and then a full dose.

From what I understand, this is a field where 50 per cent effectiveness is considered good, so I'm not sure I buy that bit about 70 per cent being a "disappointment" and I don't get how thirty cases of Covid among those who were given the vaccine and 101 in those given a dummy works out at 70 per cent protection when 20,000 people were involved in the testing.
    The maths do make sense. 101 of 10,000 got Covid when given a placebo. In those given the vaccine only 30 got it, which is 70% less than the placebo group, so it's 70% effective.
    Interesting point about the group given a half dose first. No doubt this will be investigated further.

The maths do make sense. 101 of 10,000 got Covid when given a placebo. In those given the vaccine only 30 got it, which is 70% less than the placebo group, so it's 70% effective.
    Interesting point about the group given a half dose first. No doubt this will be investigated further.
    Yes particularly as we have so many doses. I guess even 70 is considered good when our regular flu vaccine is about 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes particularly as we have so many doses. I guess even 70 is considered good when our regular flu vaccine is about 50%.

The question is, 70% effective but longer term protection, or 90% effective, more costly, and not as long protection.

In 6-9 months these vaccines will start looking a little primitive as other vaccines continue to be developed, the key point being that the virus can be contained, at least, by the wonders of modern science.

Up to 90% Bob not 80%.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Up to 90% Bob not 80%.
    Thanks, that's what I get for mislaying my glasses again. Thanks also to lisvaneblue for his clarification.

Another encouraging aspect of this trial is that none of the people involved who caught Covid were hospitalised.

Thanks, that's what I get for mislaying my glasses again. Thanks also to lisvaneblue for his clarification.

Another encouraging aspect of this trial is that none of the people involved who caught Covid were hospitalised.
    This sounds so promising hope people dont think they can now go out and have a massive party.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    This sounds so promising hope people dont think they can now go out and have a massive party.
    Here's me on reading that, just cranked on a live version of '586' and currently jigging around the kitchen with a bottle of Moretti.

I'm swerving the neighbours though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Here's me on reading that, just cranked on a live version of '586' and currently jigging around the kitchen with a bottle of Moretti.

I'm swerving the neighbours though.

Also, and I find this stuff a bit confusing, the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine boost T-Cell immunity rather than Antibody. So it *should* be more effective long term.