+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hopefully someone in the other 2 households realises and sticks to the rules.
    This sort of thing has been my main concern during the firebreak lockdown and why I'm wondering how effective it will prove to be. Firstly, I'm not sure what percentage of people have understood the rules. But perhaps more importantly, I'm certain a significant percentage haven't really cared.

During the first lockdown, I thought most of the public reacted remarkably well to the restrictions. I live in a relatively quiet and secluded street, so you tend to notice visitors arriving. We were something like four or five weeks into the first lockdown before I saw anyone at all visit any of my neighbours. This time around we were just a day and a half into it when one of the neighbours was visited by her son, his partner and their kid. She's a nurse, incidentally. Meanwhile, other neighbours have also had visitors of one sort or another at various points during the last week.

I think ignorance of the rules is a significant factor, but I think lockdown fatigue is far more significant. Way back in March the experts predicted that the government could only expect the public to adhere to social restrictions for a limited amount of time before people started bending or ignoring the rules and I'm certain they were correct.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This sort of thing has been my main concern during the firebreak lockdown and why I'm wondering how effective it will prove to be. Firstly, I'm not sure what percentage of people have understood the rules. But perhaps more importantly, I'm certain a significant percentage haven't really cared.

During the first lockdown, I thought most of the public reacted remarkably well to the restrictions. I live in a relatively quiet and secluded street, so you tend to notice visitors arriving. We were something like four or five weeks into the first lockdown before I saw anyone at all visit any of my neighbours. This time around we were just a day and a half into it when one of the neighbours was visited by her son, his partner and their kid. She's a nurse, incidentally. Meanwhile, other neighbours have also had visitors of one sort or another at various points during the last week.

I think ignorance of the rules is a significant factor, but I think lockdown fatigue is far more significant. Way back in March the experts predicted that the government could only expect the public to adhere to social restrictions for a limited amount of time before people started bending or ignoring the rules and I'm certain they were correct.
    I think the Cummings saga had an effect too. They didn't even need to sack him, just give him a slap on the wrist but the fact they tried to weasel their way out of it really put people off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I agree with your concern. A week into the lockdown a neighbour of mine took his 12 year old son away to England for a short break. His wife didn't go with them but decided to go and stay with her elderly parents in Caerphilly for a few days.