Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
Ironically, I do have a terminally ill relative who is in an extremely vulnerable position and that's precisely why I'm not going to put her at any further risk by trying to 'save Christmas'.

Under the current rules here in Wales, I'm not allowed to go and sit with her in her garden, but I could meet up with her in a pub if she was able to leave her house - which she isn't. Pretty soon it's possible that I could go to a football match with approximately 4,000 other people, but not be allowed to sit in a garden with a terminally ill relative.

It's all about the science, allegedly.
Person 1: the rules don't make sense
Person 2: there are too many rules, I don't understand them

At the moment you are person 1 but you are still more likely to follow the rules (or break the rules in a safe way) than person 2 who is interviewed on the TV frequently but needs the rules to be as simple as possible.

Gardens have been included in these restrictions because in winter it is much more likely that people meeting in a garden will need or want to go indoors into the home, and as already explained a lot of the transmission of coronavirus is happening in people’s homes: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-regula...#section-39235
Ideally, the rules would be that you can meet in a garden but only doing so in a safe way. Here is part a, b, c and d on how you can make this safer. However, that stops us being "in it together" which, so the theory goes, is a way that ensures compliance is higher and a person who feels there are already too many rules will stop listening after "you can meet in a garden".

We know that the longer you spend with someone, the closer you get to them and the less ventilation there is the more likely the virus will spread between you. I am sure you are far more likely to want to get close and spend longer with a person you care about than a stranger at a football match so it is a riskier situation and while you can do it safely a Person 2 cannot.