+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

The UK is abandoning its existing contact-tracing app and switching to the technology provided by Apple and Google, Sky News has confirmed.

The news will be announced at a briefing later today.

The move marks a major U-turn, after the government insisted its own centralised model was more effective than the model being proposed by the technology companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    The UK is abandoning its existing contact-tracing app and switching to the technology provided by Apple and Google, Sky News has confirmed.

The move marks a major U-turn, after the government insisted its own centralised model was more effective than the model being proposed by the technology companies.
    I wonder how much has been spent on it already

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

The silence from the Isle of Wight trial was deafening and once it went from being the centrepiece of a world leading contact test and trace system to the "cherry on top of the cake" this was always going to be the outcome. At least they did not put all their eggs in one basket and commissioned a Swiss company to progress with the apps that have been successfully developed elsewhere in the world.

Absolute shambles though. The decision making around the initiation of this, going our own way, presumably because we didn't want anything with an EU flavour, procurement, planning and the optimism of delivery will all be part of a case study into incompetence when it is crawled over by the NAO and Select Committees. I guess Hancock will be long gone by then though,discarded as Johnson's patsy.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The silence from the Isle of Wight trial was deafening and once it went from being the centrepiece of a world leading contact test and trace system to the "cherry on top of the cake" this was always going to be the outcome. At least they did not put all their eggs in one basket and commissioned a Swiss company to progress with the apps that have been successfully developed elsewhere in the world.

Absolute shambles though. The decision making around the initiation of this, going our own way, presumably because we didn't want anything with an EU flavour, procurement, planning and the optimism of delivery will all be part of a case study into incompetence when it is crawled over by the NAO and Select Committees. I guess Hancock will be long gone by then though,discarded as Johnson's patsy.
    It's so depressing how predictable this all was. Nothing we can do except laugh about it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's so depressing how predictable this all was. Nothing we can do except laugh about it, I guess.
    Or cry about it. What a shambles.

The Gov, NHS and many public bodies seem to want to create their own things despite good tested commercial options being available. I don't know if it's ego or an inherent distrust of commercial enterprise.

Good to see at last....and I mean at last...NHS have a £350m contract with Microsoft to supply 365 throughout their systems. For years they've had a mix and match with some regions doing their own thing while others operated on out of date Microsoft systems which were no longer supported.

Too serious to laugh about....pass the hankie