+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Interesting take:

There was always going to be a new wave of infections as restrictions lifted. After all, lockdowns don’t kill a virus – they just delay the spread. But should we be scared? In this week’s issue, Philip Thomas, a professor of risk management, is emphatic that there’s no need to fear the third wave. We’re as ready as we’ll ever be, thanks to the success of the vaccines. There may well be a huge rise in Covid cases over the summer – particularly among the young – but thankfully, the virus has been deprived of the danger it once carried. So let’s re-open, he says, and deal with the exit wave now, rather than in the depths of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Interesting take:

There was always going to be a new wave of infections as restrictions lifted. After all, lockdowns don’t kill a virus – they just delay the spread. But should we be scared? In this week’s issue, Philip Thomas, a professor of risk management, is emphatic that there’s no need to fear the third wave. We’re as ready as we’ll ever be, thanks to the success of the vaccines. There may well be a huge rise in Covid cases over the summer – particularly among the young – but thankfully, the virus has been deprived of the danger it once carried. So let’s re-open, he says, and deal with the exit wave now, rather than in the depths of winter.
    Exactly, aren’t we heading for herd immunity through vaccines and antibodies? Anyone got any sympathy for the anti vaccers if they end up in hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Exactly, aren’t we heading for herd immunity through vaccines and antibodies? Anyone got any sympathy for the anti vaccers if they end up in hospital?
    Herd immunity won't happen imo. For measles, about 95% vaccination is needed. Even if you get that, if you go somewhere that's not 95%, like on holiday, then youre at risk again.

I don't think scientists know enough about covid to have a reliable herd % - I know 80% used to be mentioned a lot but we've had a very infectious variant since then.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Herd immunity won't happen imo. For measles, about 95% vaccination is needed. Even if you get that, if you go somewhere that's not 95%, like on holiday, then youre at risk again.

I don't think scientists know enough about covid to have a reliable herd % - I know 80% used to be mentioned a lot but we've had a very infectious variant since then.
    I remember you saying that the vaccine rollout would be the beginning of the end too.....

I remember you saying that the vaccine rollout would be the beginning of the end too.....
    That is not the zinger of a putdown that you think it is

I think you're talking about this:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...=1#post5120002

Last September, when you said:
    "Think they are just saying 6 months as that’s winter over at least, even though the last lockdown started at the end of last winter.....

Maybe there will be a vaccine? Didn’t Vallance say the other day there was a small chance it could be ready for those who need it most by Christmas? Now, that would be the sort of news that if true most people would just toe the line up until then, knowing things will be normal again post Christmas. I’d be happy to sit in for 3 months if it was nailed on this would end once and for all."

And I replied:
    "The arrival of the vaccine will be the beginning of the end, but it will still take a painfully long time before we can say it's ended once and for all. "

The end clearly refers to the end of lockdowns, restrictions, etc. Please don't twist my words to make it seem like I said the vaccine was the beginning of the end of the virus itself.

Later that day in the thread you called me "the merchant of doom"
    but time hasn't proven me wrong yet, wouldn't you say goats?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think you're talking about this:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...=1#post5120002

Last September, when you said:
    "Think they are just saying 6 months as that’s winter over at least, even though the last lockdown started at the end of last winter.....

Maybe there will be a vaccine? Didn’t Vallance say the other day there was a small chance it could be ready for those who need it most by Christmas? Now, that would be the sort of news that if true most people would just toe the line up until then, knowing things will be normal again post Christmas. I’d be happy to sit in for 3 months if it was nailed on this would end once and for all."

And I replied:
    "The arrival of the vaccine will be the beginning of the end, but it will still take a painfully long time before we can say it's ended once and for all. "

The end clearly refers to the end of lockdowns, restrictions, etc. Please don't twist my words to make it seem like I said the vaccine was the beginning of the end of the virus itself.

Later that day in the thread you called me "the merchant of doom"
    but time hasn't proven me wrong yet, wouldn't you say goats?
    Things aren’t doom like at all are they? Doom monger

Things aren’t doom like at all are they? Doom monger
    Not really, I was just saying what I thought would happen. It turns out I was right, and looking at the thread again I wasn't the only one. Plenty of people called it.

Unlike Mr Deluded here, with his "if the vaccine is out before Christmas then things will be normal after"

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Interesting take:

Two points from that:

i) we're as ready as we'll ever be for a third wave
    ii) let's chose timing of that third wave to ensure it's not during winter time

Hard to agree with the first and disagree with the second.