[QUOTE=lisvaneblue;5124630]
Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Negotiated procedures are legit. I remember getting called by the MOD for supply of specific medicines in the Falklands War. There were others they could supply but not in the volumes and time frames required. So it was all done and dusted very quickly.

This seems to be the same. The contract was for 25 million gowns, Florence Roby, according to the Twitter account, could supply 40,000 a month...500,000 a year approx, nowhere near what was required. The award was made by DOHSC, and in my dealings with them, which were many, they are rigorous and above board. Ppe Medpro must have offered guarantees regarding supply and quality
I don't think the issue is whether negotiated procedures are legal or not. They are catered for under EU Procurement Law. However in my experience of their use they usually go to companies with a proven track record of delivery given the urgent need when normal tendering is not considered appropriate.

In this instance it went to a start up company with no history of manufacture or sourcing.

The contract award notice states that the actual manufacturers were two Chinese companies

Wujiang Tutaike Textiles & Finishing Co., Ltd and Kunshan Jiehong Nonwoven Products Co. Ltd.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...8-08d264292891

PPP Medpro seem to magically materialised as intermediaries with ready made contacts in the Chinese manufacturing industry and was able to get a single supplier tender as a result. Nice work if you can get it and nothing to see so we should all move on!