+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    As you know that comment related to the Manchester stand off. However, it's true for the Senedd as well.

Thing about Drakeford is that he seems to listen only to the views of his technical advisors. He said as much in his speech. He doesn't appear to listen to everyone's views. He also exaggerates.......are all the intensive care beds in Wales full....no they are not, so why does he say it?
    He doesn't appear to be concerned at all about the impact on the Welsh economy. I don't think he understands business. In the short term the Treasury pick up most of the bill for the economic lockdown in Wales, and I don't think he's considered the longer term impact on business.
    There was an interesting comment from a nurse on the radio this morning. She said that if all the money spent on lockdowns to protect the NHS had been spent instead on the NHS, things might be very different.
    The bit I couldn't quite follow on your original post was that Drakeford has been knee jerk because of 113 pieces of emergency legislation had been put in place since the outbreak. I tried on google to find the supporting evidence but the only thing that I could find was a letter from someone in Brynmawr quoting that number as fact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...-big-lockdown/

There are around that number of entries on the gov.wales website covering Welsh legislation imposing coronavirus restrictions, Revoked coronavirus restrictions legislation, Guidance on the principal Regulations, and related coronavirus legislation.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legisl...d-guidance-law

Lots of the amendments are applying local restrictions as they arose and particular restrictions on air travel destinations. I don't have the English equivalent of emergency legislation but given the number of lockdowns there it is likely to be a larger amount of regulatory change in an equivalent time. Obviously this was introduced rationally, non-anarchically rather than in the kneejerk fashion it was in Wales.

There may be cogent arguments to criticise the Welsh Government for how they acted and when but bandying around legislative numbers, perhaps because they are circulating as talking points in the Welsh Conservative party members' twittersphere is unlikely to further them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The bit I couldn't quite follow on your original post was that Drakeford has been knee jerk because of 113 pieces of emergency legislation had been put in place since the outbreak. I tried on google to find the supporting evidence but the only thing that I could find was a letter from someone in Brynmawr quoting that number as fact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...-big-lockdown/

There are around that number of entries on the gov.wales website covering Welsh legislation imposing coronavirus restrictions, Revoked coronavirus restrictions legislation, Guidance on the principal Regulations, and related coronavirus legislation.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legisl...d-guidance-law

Lots of the amendments are applying local restrictions as they arose and particular restrictions on air travel destinations. I don't have the English equivalent of emergency legislation but given the number of lockdowns there it is likely to be a larger amount of regulatory change in an equivalent time. Obviously this was introduced rationally, non-anarchically rather than in the kneejerk fashion it was in Wales.

There may be cogent arguments to criticise the Welsh Government for how they acted and when but bandying around legislative numbers, perhaps because they are circulating as talking points in the Welsh Conservative party members' twittersphere is unlikely to further them.
    Im sure our friend from Brynmawr who quoted 113 bits of legislation took just as much trouble looking up the numbers as you are obviously doing. I spent 5 mins on google. Deeside.com shows Wales Gov saying over 50 before mid- July. I then quickly found another 34 since that time on Wales Gov website and Ive not got as far as the latest lockdown legislation. So overall the number of 113 looks solid.

I still maintain this a knee jerk reaction, and if it were otherwise Im sure he'd not be fudging what might happen to us after 9 November. He can't be waiting see the result of the lockdown as he said it will not show a result for some weeks

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Im sure our friend from Brynmawr who quoted 113 bits of legislation took just as much trouble looking up the numbers as you are obviously doing. I spent 5 mins on google. Deeside.com shows Wales Gov saying over 50 before mid- July. I then quickly found another 34 since that time on Wales Gov website and Ive not got as far as the latest lockdown legislation. So overall the number of 113 looks solid.

I still maintain this a knee jerk reaction, and if it were otherwise Im sure he'd not be fudging what might happen to us after 9 November. He can't be waiting see the result of the lockdown as he said it will not show a result for some weeks
    Tens of thousands of people unnecessarily died because the government locked down too slowly earlier in the year. I can't really blame him for wanting to act more decisively this time around. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

One thing's for sure, there will be a lot of people comparing the number of cases between England and Wales in a fortnight's time and saying it means that their preferred political party made the better decision.