+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed

but they will just rack up debt that future generations to them will have to pay, didnt i hear on the news that we never really paid of the debt from WW2, we reduced it, but never completely paid it off
    Not sure about that - think we finished paying it off in early 80's. It was the WW1 debt to the USA that we didn't pay off'. Successive Govts. conveniently 'forgot' to, hence the Yanks insistence in '39-'45 that we paid full whack for every single nut and bolt..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Not sure about that - think we finished paying it off in early 80's. It was the WW1 debt to the USA that we didn't pay off'. Successive Govts. conveniently 'forgot' to, hence the Yanks insistence in '39-'45 that we paid full whack for every single nut and bolt..

I don't think the UK even paid off the WW1 debt, it still owes America billions. WW2 was paid off recently.

It introduced Income Tax to pay for the Napoleonic Wars as a short term measure. The current debt is roughly about £30,000 for every man, woman and child. Brexit is going to increase the burden (even the Government admit this) further. In order to remain competitive, it seems that the Government will have to keep business taxes low and the argument is that will bring in more revenue. Unemployment is going to rise, which means lower tax revenues, and an increase in the welfare commitment.

It's looking likely that Joe Public are going to have to pay for this sooner or later. I agreed with furlough, but it was obvious (and I have seen this personally) that it would hold people back from returning to work. I always felt that furlough should have been a deferred loan scheme, in much the same way that students have to repay their debt from their future wages, because it would have satisfied the short term impact of the pandemic, and it would have prodded people to return to work. What is more likely to happen is that we all get to pay more tax (including those like me who have been lucky enough to continue working, albeit on lower wages and with no Government assistance) to pay for neighbours who have taken the piss out of the system.

UK debt is at £2tn and I don't think it will ever go below £1.5tn in our lifetimes. People always say it will be "your kids who pay for this" but, as history shows, it probably won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I stand corrected, i was 1/2 paying attention to the news at the time