+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its not going to. Some of the latest reports on vaccines are not pointing to a game changer any time soon either.

Johnson though has promised 10m tests a day.

That will allow some sort of normality before a vaccine.

Im suprised he isnt being questioned about this. If its more of his bullshit then the Tories need be removing him along with his entire front bench.
    10m tests a day is a virtually impossible target to meet considering we are only testing up to 588000 at the moment. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

One scientist said on TV yesterday that, like the common cold and flu, this virus will be with us forever and we will just have to live with it.

The vaccines likely to be available next year are not the answer as they are short lived and will require several treatments per year to be effective. Work is going on to find improved vaccines but they won't be forthcoming for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    10m tests a day is a virtually impossible target to meet considering we are only testing up to 588000 at the moment. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

One scientist said on TV yesterday that, like the common cold and flu, this virus will be with us forever and we will just have to live with it.

The vaccines likely to be available next year are not the answer as they are short lived and will require several treatments per year to be effective. Work is going on to find improved vaccines but they won't be forthcoming for a while yet.
    So much doom.....The new tests are like pregnancy tests aren’t they? So can be done at home. Drakeford was saying today that they will be the way we get things back to normal post firebreak didn’t he? Let’s hope it comes off soon.
    Didn’t Valance say the other day the Oxford vaccine is looking good for some to have before Christmas? Why doubt it.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So much doom.....The new tests are like pregnancy tests aren’t they? So can be done at home. Drakeford was saying today that they will be the way we get things back to normal post firebreak didn’t he? Let’s hope it comes off soon.
    Didn’t Valance say the other day the Oxford vaccine is looking good for some to have before Christmas? Why doubt it.....
    I'm not doubting it. I presume you know that the Oxford vaccine is delivered in 2 doses 28 days apart. NHS staff and carers will begin getting the vaccine early next month. Good news. However, Immunity declines after 3 months so if people want the best protection they will need up to 4 a year. Thus the vaccine or the alternatives which are being worked on are not the total answer but it is hoped the next generation of vaccines will be better. I am not decrying the achievements of the Oxford people but all I was saying (not with the greatest of clarity I accept) is that there are better vaccines to come.

I'm not doubting it. I presume you know that the Oxford vaccine is delivered in 2 doses 28 days apart. NHS staff and carers will begin getting the vaccine early next month. Good news. However, Immunity declines after 3 months so if people want the best protection they will need up to 4 a year. Thus the vaccine or the alternatives which are being worked on are not the total answer but it is hoped the next generation of vaccines will be better. I am not decrying the achievements of the Oxford people but all I was saying (not with the greatest of clarity I accept) is that there are better vaccines to come.
    I meant to say the vaccine will be given to NHS and carers in December and not next month. Too late to edit. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...t-nhs-22901794

They dont know If immunity declines after 3 months with the potential vaccine yet do they? That’s just with people who have already had the virus maybe isn’t it? I was reading about Vietnam today, about 30 deaths in 90 million people. They must surely have some genetic immunity in those countries, South Korea, China, Japan etc....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They dont know If immunity declines after 3 months with the potential vaccine yet do they? That’s just with people who have already had the virus maybe isn’t it? I was reading about Vietnam today, about 30 deaths in 90 million people. They must surely have some genetic immunity in those countries, South Korea, China, Japan etc....
    I don't know. I was just quoting from a scientist on Sky news yesterday but that could have just been his opinion and not a universal one.

International

The scientists who said this specifically asked that the statement not be referred to vaccinations. They said that is not known to be true. They were worried about people putting their remarks against vaccoines and scare mongering.

What they said was that the antibodies that defend against the virus decline in those who have had the disease and recover by about 25% (I think) in the 3 months after they recover. However they also said that vaccines will be stronger and should give specific immunity for a much longer period. Historically that is what has happened with other vaccines, although boosters are sometimes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The scientists who said this specifically asked that the statement not be referred to vaccinations. They said that is not known to be true. They were worried about people putting their remarks against vaccoines and scare mongering.

What they said was that the antibodies that defend against the virus decline in those who have had the disease and recover by about 25% (I think) in the 3 months after they recover. However they also said that vaccines will be stronger and should give specific immunity for a much longer period. Historically that is what has happened with other vaccines, although boosters are sometimes necessary.
    Vaccines produce a better immune response than getting the virus.