It somewhat sours a trip if you've just told people not to visit a country whether that's causing a frostier reception once you're there or creating some big questions at home as they watch you fly out. I think there is probably some truth in Boris wanting to delay based on trade talks with India.

However, as far as I can tell, the scientist's Boris stands next to haven't really backed down on their support for the delay. At several times during this pandemic the scientists haven't come to consensus about wanting to act until there was a need to do so yesterday - which is usually followed by politicians not wanting to act until there was a need a month ago - so this might be another example of this.

It's much easier to take unpopular action when there is public backing for it which only happens once horse has bolted. I don't think it's only Boris wanting a positive (key word) trip to India that has contributed to late action on India, though that might be the most shameful reason.

At the same time, there was some action on India before it went to the red list and some people will have chosen to fly home via Turkey/other to avoid needing to play their part after it was on red list - similar happened with previous variant hotspots.