+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see there's a study today saying that seventy per cent of those testing positive (not sure if it's for England only or the UK) report no symptoms. This must mean that the percentage of the population who have had the virus has to be higher than the figure of seven per cent I hear a lot of surely?
    This is a really informative website from the University of Cambridge study. It is only for England but the summaries are really informative and the stats and graphs likewise. Things like the estimate that 16% of 5-14 year olds in England have been infected but just 0.001% of those infected (IFR) have died compared with only 3% of over 75 year old being infected but of those 23% have died. Nothing new in terms of what we have been told around the disproportionate impact on the young and old but stark when you see the supporting statistics.

Similarly there are some informative graphs tracking the R rate particularly around key points of changes in Government Policy in England. The massive falls in R just after the lockdown and the increases as policies were softened on May 12th with attendant increased likelihood that R is above 1 by English Region as we move towards the 1 June additional softening where there is no data yet.

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Oh now that you put it that way i now understand,thanx for the heads up
    Don't fall for it. From what I have seen quoted, he was fine when white people (who were armed to the teeth) were out en masse, protesting about needing a haircut and threatening the lives of the liberal governers outside their office buildings. He's also fine with police brutality and will seek to dismiss what's happened or defend the officers.

The 'rule of law' for Wales Bales means "the rules that I want to be the law"

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    This is a really informative website from the University of Cambridge study. It is only for England but the summaries are really informative and the stats and graphs likewise. Things like the estimate that 16% of 5-14 year olds in England have been infected but just 0.001% of those infected (IFR) have died compared with only 3% of over 75 year old being infected but of those 23% have died. Nothing new in terms of what we have been told around the disproportionate impact on the young and old but stark when you see the supporting statistics.

Similarly there are some informative graphs tracking the R rate particularly around key points of changes in Government Policy in England. The massive falls in R just after the lockdown and the increases as policies were softened on May 12th with attendant increased likelihood that R is above 1 by English Region as we move towards the 1 June additional softening where there is no data yet.

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/
    Things looking good in Germany and Italy now as things have opened, as did schools in France a month ago....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Don't fall for it. From what I have seen quoted, he was fine when white people (who were armed to the teeth) were out en masse, protesting about needing a haircut and threatening the lives of the liberal governers outside their office buildings. He's also fine with police brutality and will seek to dismiss what's happened or defend the officers.

We are all, maybe, guilty of that to some extent.

Whilst recognising that it is right that people should be allowed to demonstrate for the Black Lives Matter movement, it would be hypocritical to say that people shouldn't be allowed to demonstrate for getting a haircut.

But, that is ignoring the context. No-one will die from long hair, black people have been dying for hundreds of years simply for being black.

I support the cause, but perhaps not the protests. What I am saying is flawed (slippery slope fallacy) but in the case of a spike in new cases it will be all too easy for Governments around the world to point a finger of blame at the protests.

My Social Media pages have been flooded with photos of looters (always black) and words like "Look at their pain and grief for George Floyd". Simple Google images put these images from anywhere between 2010 and 2019. It's very easy to turn lies into fact with simple memes, I just hope that the cause isn't relegated to a debate about social irresponsibility from people protesting - with the movement being blamed for spikes in new cases (in a backdrop where countries are easing lockdowns)

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Things looking good in Germany and Italy now as things have opened, as did schools in France a month ago....
    Not sure what point you are making. Are you saying that the R rate and number of daily infections in Germany and Italy was the same as ours when they took comparable measures to ease the lockdown therefore we have strong evidence from elsewhere that we will see similar results?

He said I was "silly" for calling him a hypocrite yesterday - this is exactly the sort of thing I had in my mind when I said it. This time last year, he and others who are always banging on about global, neoliberal conspiracies were lauding those who they saw as freedom fighters taking part in the yellow vest protests, now, because it suits his trumps (pun intended) everything else obsession, he comes at things from a completely different direction - this is not me comparing the merits or otherwise of the different protests, it's me just pointing out Gluey's clear hypocrisy.

Banned

Not sure what point you are making. Are you saying that the R rate and number of daily infections in Germany and Italy was the same as ours when they took comparable measures to ease the lockdown therefore we have strong evidence from elsewhere that we will see similar results?
    If he is saying that, then he is wrong. The R rate in Germany was at 0.65 when the lockdown was announced.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...st-in-six-days

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...sation/2720245

He said I was "silly" for calling him a hypocrite yesterday - this is exactly the sort of thing I had in my mind when I said it. This time last year, he and others who are always banging on about global, neoliberal conspiracies were lauding those who they saw as freedom fighters taking part in the yellow vest protests, now, because it suits his trumps (pun intended) everything else obsession, he comes at things from a completely different direction - this is not me comparing the merits or otherwise of the different protests, it's me just pointing out Gluey's clear hypocrisy.
    There's always a quote!

The dude was a bad geezer and they took him out because he was planning more bad stuff. Why are you even trying to make a case for him and Iran? They beat the shit out of any protesters over there and lock them up. Free the Iranians!

I was trying to be scarcastic to him

I watched the interview referred to in this piece earlier and it was good to hear someone speaking in honest, clear, easily understandable, terms on subjects the public want to be told about - I learned a hundred times more from him than I do when having to listen to the vague platitudes trotted out at Government briefings;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scientist-says

There's always a quote!

The dude was a bad geezer and they took him out because he was planning more bad stuff. Why are you even trying to make a case for him and Iran? They beat the shit out of any protesters over there and lock them up. Free the Iranians!

Another "strong man" leader showing he is anything else but that;-

"Here is a further update from Reuters on Brazil, which has removed from public view months of data on its Covid-19 epidemic.

The health ministry in Brazil - which has the world’s second-largest coronavirus outbreak - removed the data from a website that had documented the epidemic over time and by state and municipality.

The ministry also stopped giving a total count of confirmed cases, which have shot past 672,000, more than anywhere outside the United States, or a total death toll, which passed Italy this week, nearing 36,000 by Saturday.

“The cumulative data ... does not reflect the moment the country is in,” Bolsonaro said on Twitter, citing a note from the ministry. “Other actions are underway to improve the reporting of cases and confirmation of diagnoses.”

Bolsonaro has played down the dangers of the pandemic, replaced medical experts in the health ministry with military officials and argued against state lockdowns to fight the virus, hobbling the country’s public health response. Neither Bolsonaro nor the ministry gave a reason for erasing most of the data on the covid.saude.gov.br website, which had been a key public resource for tracking the pandemic."

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I was trying to be scarcastic to him
    Good work

I know it's the weekend and the figures are always lower, but it's good to see no deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland today and only 77 in the UK. That said, the first time there were 100 or more deaths in a day was on 23 March and if you had told people then that the next time it would drop below 100 in a day would be on June 7, they would have been absolutely horrified.

Nowhere have I stated that a random self-appointed subset of the population should be allowed to take it upon themselves to break established social distancing rules in an uncontrolled manner. You're just being a "silly"ass if you think the rule of law can be bypassed on ideological grounds if it suits your own specific agenda. You need to have agreed rules that everybody follows which take into account the situation of every person, and not play Russian roulette with peoples lives in a lawless fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Nowhere have I stated that a random self-appointed subset of the population should be allowed to take it upon themselves to break established social distancing rules in an uncontrolled manner. You're just being a "silly"ass if you think the rule of law can be bypassed on ideological grounds if it suits your own specific agenda. You need to have agreed rules that everybody follows which take into account the situation of every person, and not play Russian roulette with peoples lives in a lawless fashion.
    Why do you think I said I wasn't posting about the rights and wrongs of the protests but about your hypocrisy?

Why do you think I said I wasn't posting about the rights and wrongs of the protests but about your hypocrisy?
    Why do you consider solutions to problems to be hypocrisy? The economy is in freefall and some corretive action needs to be taken. You sound like a Welsh version of Kim Jong Un.

I watched the interview referred to in this piece earlier and it was good to hear someone speaking in honest, clear, easily understandable, terms on subjects the public want to be told about - I learned a hundred times more from him than I do when having to listen to the vague platitudes trotted out at Government briefings;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scientist-says
    You can find a scientist to to argue the case for pretty much every different aspect of the Coronavirus outbreak. The Guardian has naturally sought out comments to support their views, and the Telegraph, Mail, have also had editorials and articles with many scientists espousing different views - including the so-called 'R' number [which includes care homes and hospitals], and the general efficacy of the whole lockdown process. You pays yer money ...

Coronavirus: US-China virus row flares with senator's comments https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52954697

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Coronavirus: US-China virus row flares with senator's comments https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52954697
    How on earth could one country possibly block another from producing a vaccine? How would that be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    How on earth could one country possibly block another from producing a vaccine? How would that be possible?
    Something like Stuxnet perhaps.

I suppose the question would be "why" rather than "how"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I suppose the question would be "why" rather than "how"?
    Also, very much "how"

By holding back information about specifics of the virus and its origins

There has been an increasing amount of press suggesting that the virus was manipulated in the biological laboratory in Wuhan, to make it easier to to replicate in a host..ie a chimena. Whether that's true and whether it was released intentionally or by accident who knows. Lets for the moment assume it came from the lab and not a wet market.

One thing that is increasingly evident is that two countries in particular, USA & UK, both with very advanced healthcare technology and with very similar lifestyles and diet, have suffered the worst death rates in the world. Generally, the further east you go the better the outcomes, through countries with a Mediterranean lifestyle, and lowest death rates in those with an Asian lifestyle.

If the virus was manipulated intracellularly there must have been an objective, and maybe that objective was to make it particularly virulent to those with a Western lifestyle and diet, particularly USA citizens for political reasons.

Im not sure whether such specific targeting is scientifically possible but it makes for an interesting hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    By holding back information about specifics of the virus and its origins

There has been an increasing amount of press suggesting that the virus was manipulated in the biological laboratory in Wuhan, to make it easier to to replicate in a host..ie a chimena. Whether that's true and whether it was released intentionally or by accident who knows. Lets for the moment assume it came from the lab and not a wet market.

One thing that is increasingly evident is that two countries in particular, USA & UK, both with very advanced healthcare technology and with very similar lifestyles and diet, have suffered the worst death rates in the world. Generally, the further east you go the better the outcomes, through countries with a Mediterranean lifestyle, and lowest death rates in those with an Asian lifestyle.

If the virus was manipulated intracellularly there must have been an objective, and maybe that objective was to make it particularly virulent to those with a Western lifestyle and diet, particularly USA citizens for political reasons.

Im not sure whether such specific targeting is scientifically possible but it makes for an interesting hypothesis.

There are studies (not Chinese ones before you ask) where analysis shows it is natural and not manmade.

There are two things needed for a country to be at the top of the death league, and that's 1) lots of deaths and 2) accurate recording of death. The US and the UK are at the top because they are the countries with both. I'd be certain that China, Brazil, Russia, India etc (not western countries with western lifestyles) have actually had more deaths than the UK.

I'd also say that generally the further east you go, the better the governments reacted, rather than due to the lifestyle.

Did you mean chimera?