Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The word 'update' may be a clue!
    All my threads will include uPdAte from now on

Heisenberg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53006938

'England test and trace system identifies 31,000 contacts'

More than 31,000 close contacts were identified during the first week of the test and trace system in England, figures show.

Of those, 85% were reached and asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

This was from 8,000 people testing positive for coronavirus - two-thirds of whom provided details of who they had been close to.

Around 25,000 contact tracers were recruited in England and started work at the end of May.

The NHS figures, which cover 28 May to 3 June, are the first to be released showing the progress of England's contact tracing scheme
    Those are pretty good numbers, to be fair.

On the other side, xsnaggle will be mighty pleased that the tracers would only have contacted 1.2 people (on avg.) each in that first week and that 24,999 of the tracers didn't go to the press and moan about it

Thought these stats were quite interesting if they are correct.....

BE603D1F-0FED-4653-AD5E-FE2904C9BE41.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Thought these stats were quite interesting if they are correct.....

BE603D1F-0FED-4653-AD5E-FE2904C9BE41.jpg
    Bit blurry for some reason...

Heisenberg

Bit blurry for some reason...
    I know a cracking castle that will sort that out for you.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53006938

'England test and trace system identifies 31,000 contacts'

Those are pretty good numbers, to be fair.

On the other side, xsnaggle will be mighty pleased that the tracers would only have contacted 1.2 people (on avg.) each in that first week and that 24,999 of the tracers didn't go to the press and moan about it
    Never mind that, that was a different day. The thing now that you body swerved before is what about my Marmite?

Heisenberg

Never mind that, that was a different day. The thing now that you body swerved before is what about my Marmite?
    I wondered what you were on about earlier when you mentioned Marmite... did I miss an earlier post or something?

I know a cracking castle that will sort that out for you.
    Nice little drive...I should throw my two young kids in the back and see if I’m good to go yeah?

Marmite is the one thing I have stockpiled. With brewing on hold it was obvious a Marmite crisis was on the way. I checked my various hiding places this morning and counted five unopened 500g jars. Should see me through for a few more weeks. Sorry - can't share!

Heisenberg

Nice little drive...I should throw my two young kids in the back and see if I’m good to go yeah?
    Nah, strap 'em to the roof and chuck some elderly (preferably disabled) relatives in the back for good measure. You'll have 20-20 vision in no time.*

*(Disclaimer: this message does not reflect my true belief on the effectiveness of "Driving-to-Durham" eye tests and I have no optometry background - all views are purely satirical and readers should not attempt the above suggestion)

International

Nah, strap 'em to the roof and chuck some elderly (preferably disabled) relatives in the back for good measure. You'll have 20-20 vision in no time.*

*(Disclaimer: this message does not reflect my true belief on the effectiveness of "Driving-to-Durham" eye tests and I have no optometry background - all views are purely satirical and readers should not attempt the above suggestion)
    Bit bloody late for that. Granny's already slid off the roof twice!

I’ll throw my 87 year old diabetic mother in the boot, be a good test of the virus to see if she comes down with it at the various service stations I’ll be stopping at for a few ales on the way.

Heisenberg

I’ll throw my 87 year old diabetic mother in the boot, be a good test of the virus to see if she comes down with it at the various service stations I’ll be stopping at for a few ales on the way.
    Now we're talking! See you there (pun absolutely intended).

If you were actually testing the effectiveness of your eyes by Driving-to-Durham and ended up in Barnard Castle I can see why you added the disclaimer

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    [/B]

If you were actually testing the effectiveness of your eyes by Driving-to-Durham and ended up in Barnard Castle I can see why you added the disclaimer
    County Durham/Durham - Poetic license, innit.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Marmite is the one thing I have stockpiled. With brewing on hold it was obvious a Marmite crisis was on the way. I checked my various hiding places this morning and counted five unopened 500g jars. Should see me through for a few more weeks. Sorry - can't share!
    You only told me that so I feel even worse didn't ya??? Rotter!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you're talking about the current situation with regard to the Covid-19 guidelines in Wales, I would like to admit the following: rightly or wrongly, I regard myself as a reasonably intelligent individual; I have been working, travelling on public transport, shopping for myself and shopping for elderly relatives throughout the pandemic; I watch the news almost every day and often watch the daily Covid-19 briefings; I also use the internet every day and often read the BBC news website; nevertheless, I am now in a situation whereby I genuinely have no idea what the rules in Wales currently are.

It's become an absolute farce.
    Try and figure this out then :
    “We have no immediate plans to lift the stay-local message in Wales,” said Mr Drakeford.

He added that how and when the five-mile travel limit is eased will rely on the progression of the coronavirus in Wales, and that he could not be certain if the limit would still be in place in “another six or nine or 12 weeks."

However, he added that it is likely to remain in place if and when parts of Wales'
    tourism industry reopens

Taken from Wales Online this evening. Apart from suggesting the 5 mile rule could be in place all summer, no crowds at football etc. until next yr at least, he suggests the tourist industry could open in Wales with the 5 mile rule still in place.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    “We have no immediate plans to lift the stay-local message in Wales,” said Mr Drakeford.

He added that how and when the five-mile travel limit is eased will rely on the progression of the coronavirus in Wales, and that he could not be certain if the limit would still be in place in “another six or nine or 12 weeks."

However, he added that it is likely to remain in place if and when parts of Wales'
    tourism industry reopens

Taken from Wales Online this evening. Apart from suggesting the 5 mile rule could be in place all summer, no crowds at football etc. until next yr at least, he suggests the tourist industry could open in Wales with the 5 mile rule still in place.
    The 5 mile radius cannot be policed anyway. My workplace is opening up to 25% capacity and not many live within 5 miles. But, if he has said that, then it defies all logic.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    The 5 mile radius cannot be policed anyway. My workplace is opening up to 25% capacity and not many live within 5 miles. But, if he has said that, then it defies all logic.
    Agreed. He's not dealing with this element of lockdown well at all, in my opinion.

Just to clarify, are you talking about customers not being able to visit your place of work? (Sorry for being dense )

Banned

Agreed. He's not dealing with this element of lockdown well at all, in my opinion.

Just to clarify, are you talking about customers not being able to visit your place of work? (Sorry for being dense )
    No, sorry, people in the office. We have a few sections, my own section has 9 people and we have 2 seats under the new guidelines. To be honest, my workplace have been very good, and have been ahead of the Governments all through this.

I have been cut to 25 hours a week, am actually working 40 to get everything done, so I am hoping to go back to the office to demonstrate that I am working 40 hours and should be paid for it. If not, then I can happily walk out after my 5 hours a day and not be accused of watching Netflix and getting nothing done.

Heisenberg

No, sorry, people in the office. We have a few sections, my own section has 9 people and we have 2 seats under the new guidelines. To be honest, my workplace have been very good, and have been ahead of the Governments all through this.

I have been cut to 25 hours a week, am actually working 40 to get everything done, so I am hoping to go back to the office to demonstrate that I am working 40 hours and should be paid for it. If not, then I can happily walk out after my 5 hours a day and not be accused of watching Netflix and getting nothing done.
    Ahh right, wasn't really sure

It's my (probably incorrect) understanding that the '5 mile' rule doesn't apply for commuting to work, so that shouldn't be an issue for your colleagues being able to attend.

Double bluff the bastards and watch Netflix on your phone when you go back

Banned

Ahh right, wasn't really sure

It's my (probably incorrect) understanding that the '5 mile' rule doesn't apply for commuting to work, so that shouldn't be an issue for your colleagues being able to attend.

Double bluff the bastards and watch Netflix on your phone when you go back
    On their network

International

I commented on this earlier and was laughed at, people seemed to think I'd misheard or something. The government said that tourism could restart but people would have to stay in self sufficient accommodation with their own bathroom and cooking facilities because communal facilities would not be open.
    It was added, (I think by Mr Yates) that once tourists are in their holiday accommodation the 5 mile rule would apply so they couldn't drive off all over the place every day.
    As one can imagine, it is ridiculous. Taken literally it means that someone from England could rent a holiday cottage and drive to it so long as once there they observe the 5 mile limit, but I cannot drive 8 miles to Barry Island. It's insane!

Banned

I commented on this earlier and was laughed at, people seemed to think I'd misheard or something. The government said that tourism could restart but people would have to stay in self sufficient accommodation with their own bathroom and cooking facilities because communal facilities would not be open.
    It was added, (I think by Mr Yates) that once tourists are in their holiday accommodation the 5 mile rule would apply so they couldn't drive off all over the place every day.
    As one can imagine, it is ridiculous. Taken literally it means that someone from England could rent a holiday cottage and drive to it so long as once there they observe the 5 mile limit, but I cannot drive 8 miles to Barry Island. It's insane!
    There isn't much logic to it at all to be fair. You could drive 8 miles to Barry with a caravan though. Like I say, you're not going to get stopped. My argument before was that we should adhere to the rules (regardless of views) not because we could get caught, but because it is the right thing to do, and the rules apply to everyone.

Now they don't. People are already flouting whatever rules exist because it feels safer in the context of the number of people currently infected (that isn't my view by the way, my view is that the virus has a natural reproduction rate of 3 and that it will get to 3 a lot quicker than it took us to get to 1) and they are flouting the rules purely because they are fed up. Whereas the previous guidelines were fairly clear, it's all a mess now. Johnson is sprinting out of the blocks for political reasons, Drakeford is dithering somewhat, and only Sturgeon seems to have anywhere near a real grasp on the situation. None of these can hold a candle to Merkel or Ardern.

Female leaders are definitely leading the way, they are far more pragmatic. I reckon May would have been in her element on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

tourism industry reopens

Drakeford is getting another absolute roasting on wales online this eve on the wales timetable story, sounds like people in west wales who need income from the tourism sector are starting to lose it