+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    isn't this the same guy who was going out of his way to make excuses for Boris the other day?

Wales has 5% of the population of the UK and so far has had 2.5% of the deaths, to me that suggests that we have at least done better than England.
    maybe we shouldn't be asking why we are opening up slower than England, perhaps we should be asking why England are opening up more quickly than us
    And Northern Ireland, and Scotland.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    And Northern Ireland, and Scotland.....
    Do you think England are getting it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    northern Ireland where they are already down to 0 daily deaths Vs Wales which has 7 of the top 10 highest risk communities in the UK.
    I'm glad he is being cautious
    With the lowest r rate though.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    WHO advocate less than 2m.
    At Least 1m that's not necessarily saying it should be less

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    With the lowest r rate though.
    And?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    And?
    It’s wonderful

https://amp.ft.com/content/43bb10de-...mpression=true

there's just feels like something vaguely dodgy about this, and the ventilator stuff. seems like lots of the companies involved were major Tory donors (just my impression)

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You underestimate CCMB delmbox and clearly hadn’t even considered concentration camps.
    God I'm such an amateur

Do you think England are getting it right?
    Don't be daft. All four nations have been bloody useless. The only people to come out of it with some credit are front line NHS staff, and those who have kept day to day services going.

As for Wales death rate being lower, its a bit like saying we did well because we only lost 5-0, where England conceded 10 ...they are all bad results.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    God I'm such an amateur
    I thought you'd have been in front of me with the concentration camp plan. It's for their own good.

Yet there's also bad news.

Drakeford's target of 10k tests per day by end of May failed dramatically, May 31st having only 2945.

Presumably Trampie persuaded them to only test really Welshie-Welshies?

https://gov.wales/testing-weekly-upd...20-coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    About to post the same lets hope and prey , all these drugs are new as is there long term effects , this made interesting reading
    Some people question why the current coronavirus has brought the world to standstill while a previous deadly coronavirus, SARS, did not.

Others have questioned why a vaccine is so urgently needed now to stop the spread of the current coronavirus when a vaccine was never developed for SARS.

I study viruses and am so fascinated by their complexity that I have written a book about them. The tale of SARS and its new cousin that causes COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, shows just how unpredictable viruses can be, particularly when they jump from animals to humans. Understanding emerging, infectious diseases needs to be a priority. SARS, which killed about one in 10 infected people, turned out to be highly lethal but ultimately, and somewhat mysteriously, disappeared.

https://theconversation.com/the-myst...e-other-137583

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This is a very decent step in the right direction.

Yet there's also bad news.

Drakeford's target of 10k tests per day by end of May failed dramatically, May 31st having only 2945.

Presumably Trampie persuaded them to only test really Welshie-Welshies?

https://gov.wales/testing-weekly-upd...20-coronavirus
    Wales care home sdeth statics not good

England has reported the lowest rate of COVID-19 deaths per total fatalities in a study of European nations.

The study by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) provides some welcome relief to the UK government which has come under increasing criticism for its handling of the care home crisis.

The research, using ONS data as of May 9, shows there were almost 7,000 COVID-19 care home fatalities in England, amounting to 21% of 33,000 fatalities. Wales reported a higher rate of 25%, while care home COVID-19 death rates in Scotland amounted to 45% of 3,200 COVID-19 fatalities as of May 10.

Elsewhere, the share of care home fatalities per total ranged from 37% in Germany to 66% in Spain, which had seen 18,000 deaths officially reported in care facilities as of May 11.

Rates were also high in France (50%) which reported more than 13,500 COVID-19 care home deaths as of May 11, Belgium (51%), Norway (61%) and Stockholm, Sweden (45%). Italy, which has Europe’s second highest overall fatality rate after the UK, was not included in the research.

While the European comparison favoured England, it should be borne in mind that the ONS is generally accepted to be underreporting the true number of care home fatalities with the latest estimates suggesting that the ‘real’ death number of deaths is more than double their figure.

England’s protection of its care home community during the crisis bears further scrutiny when brought into comparison with Hong Kong which has seen no COVID-19 deaths at its 19 care homes.

Professor Terry Lum of Hong Kong University told a UK Parliamentary Select Committee yesterday that Hong Kong had achieved zero deaths by deploying strict infection control procedures ignored in the UK.

Professor Lum said Hong Kong had focused on preventing the spread of the virus to care homes from hospitals with positive people quarantined for up to three months, The Guardian reported.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “This is an unprecedented global pandemic which can sadly have a devastating effect on some of our most vulnerable people.

“Since the start of this pandemic we have worked tirelessly to ensure our care homes and frontline care workforce get the support they need.

‘’We have set out a comprehensive action plan to support the adult social care sector in England throughout the coronavirus outbreak, including making sure millions of PPE items are available and using our increased testing capacity to test care home residents and staff regardless of symptoms.’’

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    About to post the same lets hope and prey , all these drugs are new as is there long term effects , this made interesting reading
    Some people question why the current coronavirus has brought the world to standstill while a previous deadly coronavirus, SARS, did not.

Others have questioned why a vaccine is so urgently needed now to stop the spread of the current coronavirus when a vaccine was never developed for SARS.

I study viruses and am so fascinated by their complexity that I have written a book about them. The tale of SARS and its new cousin that causes COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, shows just how unpredictable viruses can be, particularly when they jump from animals to humans. Understanding emerging, infectious diseases needs to be a priority. SARS, which killed about one in 10 infected people, turned out to be highly lethal but ultimately, and somewhat mysteriously, disappeared.

https://theconversation.com/the-myst...e-other-137583
    The drug isn't new and has been used since the 50s.

Banned

Wales care home sdeth statics not good

England has reported the lowest rate of COVID-19 deaths per total fatalities in a study of European nations.

The study by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) provides some welcome relief to the UK government which has come under increasing criticism for its handling of the care home crisis.

The research, using ONS data as of May 9, shows there were almost 7,000 COVID-19 care home fatalities in England, amounting to 21% of 33,000 fatalities. Wales reported a higher rate of 25%, while care home COVID-19 death rates in Scotland amounted to 45% of 3,200 COVID-19 fatalities as of May 10.

Elsewhere, the share of care home fatalities per total ranged from 37% in Germany to 66% in Spain, which had seen 18,000 deaths officially reported in care facilities as of May 11.

Rates were also high in France (50%) which reported more than 13,500 COVID-19 care home deaths as of May 11, Belgium (51%), Norway (61%) and Stockholm, Sweden (45%). Italy, which has Europe’s second highest overall fatality rate after the UK, was not included in the research.

While the European comparison favoured England, it should be borne in mind that the ONS is generally accepted to be underreporting the true number of care home fatalities with the latest estimates suggesting that the ‘real’ death number of deaths is more than double their figure.

England’s protection of its care home community during the crisis bears further scrutiny when brought into comparison with Hong Kong which has seen no COVID-19 deaths at its 19 care homes.

Professor Terry Lum of Hong Kong University told a UK Parliamentary Select Committee yesterday that Hong Kong had achieved zero deaths by deploying strict infection control procedures ignored in the UK.

Professor Lum said Hong Kong had focused on preventing the spread of the virus to care homes from hospitals with positive people quarantined for up to three months, The Guardian reported.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “This is an unprecedented global pandemic which can sadly have a devastating effect on some of our most vulnerable people.

“Since the start of this pandemic we have worked tirelessly to ensure our care homes and frontline care workforce get the support they need.

‘’We have set out a comprehensive action plan to support the adult social care sector in England throughout the coronavirus outbreak, including making sure millions of PPE items are available and using our increased testing capacity to test care home residents and staff regardless of symptoms.’’
    It's interesting that you labelled that as "Wales care home deaths not good", and it appears that the Welsh figures are second only to England in the article you have copied and pasted without citation.

Did you get as far as the caveat (half way down the article)

"While the European comparison favoured England, it should be borne in mind that the ONS is generally accepted to be underreporting the true number of care home fatalities with the latest estimates suggesting that the ‘real’ death number of deaths is more than double their figure."

The drug isn't new and has been used since the 50s.
    Yeah, it's used for Lupus amongst other things. Wife used to take it.

It's interesting that you labelled that as "Wales care home deaths not good", and it appears that the Welsh figures are second only to England in the article you have copied and pasted without citation.

Did you get as far as the caveat (half way down the article)

"While the European comparison favoured England, it should be borne in mind that the ONS is generally accepted to be underreporting the true number of care home fatalities with the latest estimates suggesting that the ‘real’ death number of deaths is more than double their figure."
    yes i did see it still not good though is it ?

There was a bloke called Tell it like it is who used to post on here who had a wife with a similar affliction. You both have my sympathies!

Reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Please tell me you’re not Dembe reincarnated with an invented wife this time
    No, not dembe. Sorry it's inconvenient for you my wife suffers lupus and fibromyalgia...

Dreadful disease, there's so many amongst us who have health problems like this, I am always impressed how they manage it , and just get on with life .

Banned

yes i did see it still not good though is it ?
    None of those figures were "good" to me, were any of the figures good to you?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    There was a bloke called Tell it like it is who used to post on here who had a wife with a similar affliction. You both have my sympathies!
    True, after all there's only one woman in Wales who had lupus. Saly for your investigative skills, my wife has never had fibro, luckily enough...