Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    makes no difference as andy burnham has them beaten with his whining
    Whining you say?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-covid-stance

Or maybe doing his job - with the general support of the Greater Manchester public and the local Tory MPs and council leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Whining you say?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-covid-stance

Or maybe doing his job - with the general support of the Greater Manchester public and the local Tory MPs and council leaders.
    Yep, Whining

Yep, Whining
    Why is he whining?

I'm curious.

you have heard him over the last 2 weeks, imho he has whined on and on about being let down by the ( TORY ) government, its all unfair, being from Manchester ( or even up north ) is grim, everyone down south hates northerners, he plays the North / South divide very well ( playing to his crowd i guess ), it has been constant, I guess in your opinion he hasnt then
    Isnt Burnham holding out for extra financial support for businesses and people, who will be affected by the tier 3 restrictions?

For someone who had business and financial support I'd thought you'd be empathising with businesses up North?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Isnt Burnham holding out for extra financial support for businesses and people, who will be affected by the tier 3 restrictions?

For someone who had business and financial support I'd thought you'd be empathising with businesses up North?
    he is, but in a whining way

I do, mainly for the workers who are going to find it even harder this time around

I havent heard him say everyone down South hates northerners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I havent heard him say everyone down South hates northerners.
    I added that one to see if people were paying attention to him

he is, but in a whining way

I do, mainly for the workers who are going to find it even harder this time around
    Perhaps he should ask for a square go with Boris, Rishi or Hancock?

Much more masculine and less whiny.

Perhaps he should ask for a square go with Boris, Rishi or Hancock?

Much more masculine and less whiny.
    Hmmmm

I think Boris and Hancock would do him, his best bet would be Rishi

maybe pay per view with the proceeds going to some " northern specific charity "

Big news in the Republic of Ireland. (Soft) Level 5 for much of the country for six weeks. Restrictions not as harsh as spring but not that far removed. Potentially salutary for Conservatives and Lab in the UK. For the Tories because Irish govt decided only national lockdown...

... would have an adequate behavioural effect on the population (a key argument made by
    @AndyBurnhamGM). For Labour, because Irish assessment is short lockdown won’t work, a six week period is necessary to keep December clear.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...68249600045059
    Questions being asked around the UK and Ireland (or Ireland from UK perspective) being what can be afforded, what will be complied with sufficiently to have desired impact, what comes next.

Good point made on BBC Wales at lunchtime being that the slower come down from full lockdown was our Plan A for not having to reintroduce such strict measures again this year. Plan B hopefully will work but maybe it's just about giving things time to resolve themselves in England where decision will be made about what can UK financially afford.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Questions being asked around the UK and Ireland (or Ireland from UK perspective) being what can be afforded, what will be complied with sufficiently to have desired impact, what comes next.

Good point made on BBC Wales at lunchtime being that the slower come down from full lockdown was our Plan A for not having to reintroduce such strict measures again this year. Plan B hopefully will work but maybe it's just about giving things time to resolve themselves in England where decision will be made about what can UK financially afford.
    Tier 5 in Ireland: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...medium=twitter

How decision was made: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...down-1.4385344

Hmmmm

I think Boris and Hancock would do him, his best bet would be Rishi

maybe pay per view with the proceeds going to some " northern specific charity "
    I got my dough on Burnham. He’s definitely ex football with the way he’s wearing his shirts, cagoules and Adi Dassler. Him being a scouser means there’s a stanley tucked into his North Face somewhere.

Result Burnham 1 Boris 100 stitches caused by a slicing.

I’d pay top whack to watch that so you’re onto something there.

I got my dough on Burnham. He’s definitely ex football with the way he’s wearing his shirts, cagoules and Adi Dassler. Him being a scouser means there’s a stanley tucked into his North Face somewhere.

Result Burnham 1 Boris 100 stitches caused by a slicing.

I’d pay top whack to watch that so you’re onto something there.
    How anyone could even joke about paying to watch another human being get knifed in the face is beyond me. Maybe you're just trying to sound big.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    How anyone could even joke about paying to watch another human being get knifed in the face is beyond me. Maybe you're just trying to sound big.
    C'mon butt, you're being a little too sanctimonious and taking me far too literally. I was obviously joking as I'd probably find an illegal stream to watch it.

Hope this soothes your concerns.

International

apparently you will not be able to tell the affect a 2 week lockdown has had until about a week after it ends, so a three week lockdown would make more sense.
    It links in with Mark Drakeford's remark that the 2 weeks will be used for them to decide how much further they might have to go to control this.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this stopping on 9 August!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    apparently you will not be able to tell the affect a 2 week lockdown has had until about a week after it ends, so a three week lockdown would make more sense.
    It links in with Mark Drakeford's remark that the 2 weeks will be used for them to decide how much further they might have to go to control this.
    I think Drakeford and his team are completely over the top with this latest lockdown. To cover all of Wales including those areas with relatively low incidence is going to cause unnecessary hardship. He is very fond of knee jerk reaction which is evident by the 113 pieces of Covid related emergency legislation he has put in place in the last six months.
    And we have to wait until Friday to hear what he intends to introduce once this total lockdown ends on 9 November.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I think Drakeford and his team are completely over the top with this latest lockdown. To cover all of Wales including those areas with relatively low incidence is going to cause unnecessary hardship. He is very fond of knee jerk reaction which is evident by the 113 pieces of Covid related emergency legislation he has put in place in the last six months.
    And we have to wait until Friday to hear what he intends to introduce once this total lockdown ends on 9 November.
    It's a politician's moment in the sun. Standing at a rostrum knowing they have a large captive audience, delivering a solemn warning of dire things ahead, stretching their words out so there's a gap of seconds between each one. They're lovin' it. Drakeford will be forgotten and consigned to history when it's all over - he's positively thriving at the moment..

Only 4 days ago you said

"At the end of the day our democratically elected government is responsible. By all means listen to everyone views, the government then needs to decide what action should be taken. Otherwise we are moving towards anarchy."

What changed your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Only 4 days ago you said

"At the end of the day our democratically elected government is responsible. By all means listen to everyone views, the government then needs to decide what action should be taken. Otherwise we are moving towards anarchy."

What changed your mind?
    As you know that comment related to the Manchester stand off. However, it's true for the Senedd as well.

Thing about Drakeford is that he seems to listen only to the views of his technical advisors. He said as much in his speech. He doesn't appear to listen to everyone's views. He also exaggerates.......are all the intensive care beds in Wales full....no they are not, so why does he say it?
    He doesn't appear to be concerned at all about the impact on the Welsh economy. I don't think he understands business. In the short term the Treasury pick up most of the bill for the economic lockdown in Wales, and I don't think he's considered the longer term impact on business.
    There was an interesting comment from a nurse on the radio this morning. She said that if all the money spent on lockdowns to protect the NHS had been spent instead on the NHS, things might be very different.

As you know that comment related to the Manchester stand off. However, it's true for the Senedd as well.

Thing about Drakeford is that he seems to listen only to the views of his technical advisors. He said as much in his speech. He doesn't appear to listen to everyone's views. He also exaggerates.......are all the intensive care beds in Wales full....no they are not, so why does he say it?
    He doesn't appear to be concerned at all about the impact on the Welsh economy. I don't think he understands business. In the short term the Treasury pick up most of the bill for the economic lockdown in Wales, and I don't think he's considered the longer term impact on business.
    There was an interesting comment from a nurse on the radio this morning. She said that if all the money spent on lockdowns to protect the NHS had been spent instead on the NHS, things might be very different.
    He doesn’t care about the economy though, he probably thinks the repercussions of it will just fall at the door of the tories, causing them more problems, which he will love.

He seems to think that he can turn on and off sectors of the economy like a tap.

The bit I couldn't quite follow on your original post was that Drakeford has been knee jerk because of 113 pieces of emergency legislation had been put in place since the outbreak. I tried on google to find the supporting evidence but the only thing that I could find was a letter from someone in Brynmawr quoting that number as fact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...-big-lockdown/

There are around that number of entries on the gov.wales website covering Welsh legislation imposing coronavirus restrictions, Revoked coronavirus restrictions legislation, Guidance on the principal Regulations, and related coronavirus legislation.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legisl...d-guidance-law

Lots of the amendments are applying local restrictions as they arose and particular restrictions on air travel destinations. I don't have the English equivalent of emergency legislation but given the number of lockdowns there it is likely to be a larger amount of regulatory change in an equivalent time. Obviously this was introduced rationally, non-anarchically rather than in the kneejerk fashion it was in Wales.

There may be cogent arguments to criticise the Welsh Government for how they acted and when but bandying around legislative numbers, perhaps because they are circulating as talking points in the Welsh Conservative party members' twittersphere is unlikely to further them.

There’s a lot of businesses in Pembrokeshire and west wales that were relying on that trade continuing until November. Who knows what will happen to them now. Strange how it’s been busier than ever down that way for the last 3 months yet no Covid outbreaks? People staying at a place I let just cancelled, coming from Buckinghamshire where there is also very low Covid. I can live with it but my cleaner lost £80 x at least 10 places, so did the laundry, mine had booked into 3 pubs to eat so they lose out too. I’m sure the list is endless.
    There are tests that give you a result in 20 mins ffs. Why do only private companies have them, yet we blow billions? And they wonder why no one is listening anymore......

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It will be long over by 9th August. Well this lockdown anyway.😂