+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    I was after the flu predictions without a vaccine.

Are the figures correct?

Are the figures correct?
    One minute you're making an argument about flu and covid figures being similar, the next you're saying figures can't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What about the figures without the lockdowns? What do you think they would be then? Still similar? How can you not understand this?!
    Exactly.

If the government said 'good morning' I would have to go outside to have a look

If the government said 'good morning' I would have to go outside to have a look

It'd be quicker and more reliable to look at your watch.

All I know is that I had a jab on Tuesday which makes it less likely that I will get flu this winter and that means that, although of course, it's possible that I may die of the flu in the next few months, if it were not for Covid, I would now be going about living the life I considered normal until last March because I would not be taking measures to ensure I didn't catch flu.

If there was a similar injection for Coivd I could have, I'm confident that my life would be able to return to what it was like previously - I'd not be bothered in the slightest whether such an injection was, strictly speaking, a vaccination or not and I reckon there would be millions who'd feel exactly the same as me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All I know is that I had a jab on Tuesday which makes it less likely that I will get flu this winter and that means that, although of course, it's possible that I may die of the flu in the next few months, if it were not for Covid, I would now be going about living the life I considered normal until last March because I would not be taking measures to ensure I didn't catch flu.

If there was a similar injection for Coivd I could have, I'm confident that my life would be able to return to what it was like previously - I'd not be bothered in the slightest whether such an injection was, strictly speaking, a vaccination or not and I reckon there would be millions who'd feel exactly the same as me.
    Want to know more, Bob?

EXC: The chair of the UK's vaccine task force showed “official sensitive” government documents to a $200-a-head event for elite US venture capitalists last week

Kate Bingham, a Boris Johnson appointee, showed guests a list of products which the government is set to invest in (a thread): https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/...46591010971649
    In her talk she said she expects all over-50s to have vaccine available by Easter. It includes this nugget:

But she also showed docs predicting up to 40% may never take it. There's “concern” over whether vaccines will “actually work". There isn't “any data” on whether it works for those with flu

As a result officials are mulling a major “three-visits” programme that will see vulnerable given on flu vaccine and two for COVID next year. She also disclosed that the government will “literally dispatch roving teams on motorbikes” to deliver the vaccine to the vulnerable

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Want to know more, Bob?

In her talk she said she expects all over-50s to have vaccine available by Easter. It includes this nugget:
    Funny how these Tory MPs wives also happen to be experts in virus control isn't it - uniquely for me, I tend to side with the Michael Gove view of experts in this case .

Given her background, I tend to take those comments with a pinch of salt, but if it were to be true that a vaccine was available to over 50s in less than six months time, you'd like to think that there would be something for the most vulnerable by March or even February.

Mark Drakeford: https://twitter.com/fmwales/status/1322637626126585856

Furlough is crucial for businesses. But @RishiSunak said he wouldn’t extend it in Wales when we asked. He also said no when we asked him to bring forward the Job Support Scheme to help businesses – we even said we’d pay the difference. It’s now clear he could have said yes.
    9th of October: Scotland puts its central belt into much harder restrictions
    16th of October: Northern Ireland circuit breaker for four weeks
    23rd of October: Wales' circuit breaker for two weeks
    5th of November: England's circuit break for one month

When you consider Ireland has done it's own version for six weeks starting at a similar time to Wales it appears that two weeks as late as we did is a much shorter period of time. I can't help but wonder if the Senedd wanted to do it for longer and was stopped by having no information, not even what Tier 3 extra support would mean for devolved nations, on increase in funding to help protect businesses? This short response will only work as well as desired if people are strict about their own behaviour.

Its not just Wales Sunak wouldnt pay the 80% until this U turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its not just Wales Sunak wouldnt pay the 80% until this U turn.
    yep the north of England weren't getting it either, only when London and the south East were in lockdown did.

this has been noticed.

Gove has just said the England lockdown could continue past 2/12.

Gove has just said the England lockdown could continue past 2/12.
    Surely it's the progression of the virus that determines when the lockdown should end and not some arbitrary end date?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Surely it's the progression of the virus that determines when the lockdown should end and not some arbitrary end date?
    It will still be here in 2 weeks, a month, 3 months and probably next year......we just need to learn to live with it better, adhere to the rules etc....people are still mixing households which is the main issue.

Theyve delayed this for too long and not taking action sooner and initially saying there would be no national lockdown including Gove 2 weeks ago and Raab on Friday then yeah though the businesses having no certainty about re-opening particularly at such a busy time of year may not agree.

Theyve delayed this for too long and not taking action sooner and initially saying there would be no national lockdown including Gove 2 weeks ago and Raab on Friday then yeah though the businesses having no certainty about re-opening particularly at such a busy time of year may not agree.
    Your comment doesn't answer the question. I will ask again. Should the lockdown end at an arbitrary date or should the end date be determined by progression of the virus? All your post does is snipe as usual and doesn't answer the quote to which you have referred.

I'm not bothered whether you reply or not but if you quote my post you could at least give an answer that relates to the question asked.

Your comment doesn't answer the question. I will ask again. Should the lockdown end at an arbitrary date or should the end date be determined by progression of the virus? All your post does is snipe as usual and doesn't answer the quote to which you have referred.

I'm not bothered whether you reply or not but if you quote my post you could at least give an answer that relates to the question asked.
    When i said then yeah. I mean yes.

I see the Tory right wing are bellyaching en masse at the latest decision to lockdown England. The well known prick of the highest order IDS is spitting feathers and apparently this was before Gove made his comment on Sophie Ridge that the lockdown may not end on December 2nd.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is wrong to give an end date for any of these measures. I can understand the desire for people and businesses to have specific dates to plan things but the very nature of the disease makes it difficult to forecast it's trajectory with any degree of certainty. The honest answer would be "we have a criterion (the R number for example) and when that is reduced to a specific number we shall withdraw the restrictions".

Anything else is just tokenism so as to keep different factions happy. The enemy is the virus and we should all tackle it in unison and not fight among ourselves.

Can’t come soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t come soon enough
    Yeah. Much needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think the rest of us should pay for the consequences of different arrangements in Scotland if they choose to go a different way when the money for furlough comes from UK coffers and costs the Scottish government nothing. The question here is whether Wales will follow the arrangements in England by extending their firebreak which is due to end next week.

I don't think the rest of us should pay for the consequences of different arrangements in Scotland if they choose to go a different way when the money for furlough comes from UK coffers and costs the Scottish government nothing. The question here is whether Wales will follow the arrangements in England by extending their firebreak which is due to end next week.
    So you're fine with the fact that if Wales, Scotland or the North of England have to go into a lockdown then the treasury don't want to know, but if it's the south east of England then they find the money somehow?

This is not a Union.