+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Well that is my plan to go and live with my sister for a month or two in the highlands shot to pieces as I live in tier 4. Would have been a nice change of pace and good for mental health but nevermind. At least everyone else got their day out shopping in Oxford Street.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Just read the article, sounds optimistic!

Don't trust this shower to actually come through on their promises mind
    Yeah, it seems to be a leak so take it with a pinch of salt. However the MHRA are not the Tory party. Also considering that the Pfizer vaccine was approved soon after submission, this Oxford one will probably be approved soon, assuming the approval processes are the same

Just to make another point, about 'the science'. Norwich had a crowd today, East of England has the highest R and Norfolk has the highest incidence of the new strain. It isn't going into tier 4, whilst lots of relatively low case areas are. Shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I can understand areas like Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and the valleys going into lockdown due to their high population densities but how can Drakeford possibly justify locking down in rural counties in North, West and Mid Wales where transmission rates are actually lower than parts of England that are in tier one and two. Once again he has panicked to cover his own backside and basically pushed the whole of the Welsh economy down the drain.
    More like he's prioritizing lives over livelihoods and he's right to do so. This argument about tiered management is a nonsense; the virus can and will quickly infect all regions given a chance: it doesn't respect geographical boundaries. Well done to Drakeford, he's executing his responsibility manfully unlike the big baby in London trying to keep everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    The illness is real and it seems to be spreading more.

I guess our only way out is a vaccine. They are apparently, going to approve the Oxford one a few days after Xmas (see a post I made in the previous page that links to a Telegraph article) and if they give the half dose first, then that vaccine alone would be enough for the whole UK population (based on the amounts we have ordered). If it is standard dose first, then we will have enough vaccines, as the government have ordered Pfizer and Moderna ones. But with this second paragraph, I am a random guy on an MB so some nuances will be missed but back to the point, the virus mutation seems real to me.
    I know the illness is real I posted a few months back how it ripped through the village where I grew up and 3 out of 4 men who apparently caught it in the local boozer died from it. I just don’t like the way the government is going about the locking down in London it does feel like an us and them. One thing I will say is if it’s mutating like they say then don’t count too much on a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I know the illness is real I posted a few months back how it ripped through the village where I grew up and 3 out of 4 men who apparently caught it in the local boozer died from it. I just don’t like the way the government is going about the locking down in London it does feel like an us and them. One thing I will say is if it’s mutating like they say then don’t count too much on a vaccine.
    They always mutate. It has 24 times since it emerged in China. Fortunately coronavirus are far more stable than things like flu and others around.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They always mutate. It has 24 times since it emerged in China. Fortunately coronavirus are far more stable than things like flu and others around.
    That’s why I said I’m sceptical with what is being put out, Boris got these scientists in his pocket they’ll bend the stats to suit the narrative.

London has now had four strategies in four weeks. Earlier in the week schools in London were being threatened with legal action if they wanted to close early.

Saving Christmas was all about saving Christmas shopping, wasn't it? Again, bad communication, again, late decisions.

Regarding communication, different approaches for different nations within the UK is not confusing if we're allowed for more than 30 seconds to discuss what's going on in Wales, Scotland, NI.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - borrowing a Scottish approach for this winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    London has now had four strategies in four weeks.
    How many strategies has Cardiff had during the same period? Not a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know the answer, but it feels like we've had several.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    How many strategies has Cardiff had during the same period? Not a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know the answer, but it feels like we've had several.
    I would guess at three different strategies but can't tell you for sure.

I presume That If Keir Starmer is criticising Boris about the late Christmas change, he has also been on the phone to tell Mark Drakeford off for doing the same???

He avoided a question about the response of the devolved administrations on Sky this morning.

I don't trust either of the leaders of our two main parties at all. Different characters, both untrustworthy.

London has now had four strategies in four weeks. Earlier in the week schools in London were being threatened with legal action if they wanted to close early.

Saving Christmas was all about saving Christmas shopping, wasn't it? Again, bad communication, again, late decisions.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - a Scottish approach for winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.
    With this new variant, it could be lockdown until the vaccines rolled out enough to cope stated on bbc news today. That’s going to really be a kick in the balls for many people if so. Roll on Easter.

Regarding communication, different approaches for different nations within the UK is not confusing if we're allowed for more than 30 seconds to discuss what's going on in Wales, Scotland, NI.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - borrowing a Scottish approach for this winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.
    I was in tier 2 on Friday, tier 3 on Saturday and tier 4 today. Our positive case rate per 100k is around 50 a day. This period is the biggest shambles of the lot and the UK gov had set a pretty high bar.

Agree 100%, it was all a little freebie to the shops from the gov. They have prioritised people meeting their families on Christmas today to make sure we can all go out and buy a load of shite.

The governments are damned if they do and damned if they dont.
    Public pressure forced them into a Christmas relaxation of the rules, and now they get criticised for acting swiftly on the new scientific evidence regarding the new strain. Whatever the leaders say and do though, doesnt make any difference to all those idiots in London last night who thought the best thing to do was to crowd the stations, pack onto the trains and spread the new strain around the country.
    In a month or so, the same people will be making the same journey to attend their loved ones funeral.

Acted swiftly????

Its a shambles.

Im pretty certain Starmer wouldnt have had the 5 day XMas get together.

Johnson is a joke. Watch his pathetic performance in Parliament on Wednesday.

Drakeford in my opinion bottled it and went along with the 5 day plan. Weak.

Days ago Johnson was scoffing and flippant in Parliament accusing Starmer of wanting Christmas cancelled.

Starmer is right its one feck up after another from a useless government full of pro brexit loonies who are completely out of their depth.

Time to move on to their next feck up

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Acted swiftly????

Its a shambles.

Im pretty certain Starmer wouldnt have had the 5 day XMas get together.

Johnson is a joke. Watch his pathetic performance in Parliament on Wednesday.

Drakeford in my opinion bottled it and went along with the 5 day plan. Weak.

Days ago Johnson was scoffing and flippant in Parliament accusing Starmer of wanting Christmas cancelled.

Starmer is right its one feck up after another from a useless government full of pro brexit loonies who are completely out of their depth.

Time to move on to their next feck up
    As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday. That is what I meant by quick.

Starmer was calling for stricter measures on Wednesday at PMQs before the link between the mutated virus and the increasing numbers were known. Obviously we differ on whether Starmer would have cancelled Xmas earlier.

[QUOTE=Vindec;5147900]As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday.

And if you believe that you’ll believe anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday. That is what I meant by quick.

Starmer was calling for stricter measures on Wednesday at PMQs before the link between the mutated virus and the increasing numbers were known. Obviously we differ on whether Starmer would have cancelled Xmas earlier.
    Do you believe that Johnson and co had no idea that this new virus wasnt spreading quicker before Friday and he had no idea before his performance on Wednesday.

And if he didnt know he should have had some idea.

I cant say hes lost control. Hes never had control.

Do you believe that Johnson and co had no idea that this new virus wasnt spreading quicker before Friday and he had no idea before his performance on Wednesday.

Incredible that some people's first post on what the UK Government did yesterday is to be critical of the leader of the opposition! When Drakeford announced the increased measures last night, the Tories leader in Wales didn't even enter my head.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Incredible that some people's first post on what the UK Government did yesterday is to be critical of the leader of the opposition! When Drakeford announced the increased measures last night, the Tories leader in Wales didn't even enter my head.
    Why is that incredible when the leader of the main opposition party in the UK happens to be the boss of the political leader of the devolved administration we live in??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Why is that incredible when the leader of the main opposition party in the UK happens to be the boss of the political leader of the devolved administration we live in??????????????
    This is a health matter and is devolved to the different nations. There are clearly going to be ties between the nations, and there isn't full separation between political parties who stand in multiple nations, but are you saying Westminster should just override Wales/Scotland/NI? Are you really that person??

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I said why in my first post - it's like me having a go at RT Davies or whatever his name is for the decision Drakeford took, absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I said why in my first post - it's like me having a go at RT Davies or whatever his name is for the decision Drakeford took, absurd.

Paul Davies took over from Andrew RT Davies back in September 2018.

I will be replying to the post you wrote in response to my ( factual and non political!) post about Friday's Nervtag meeting on this topic so I won't duplicate it here.

You may think the government had not acted quickly but I do. Governments have to act on the basis of definitive evidence and not guesswork.

The key to the rapid increase in numbers was the mutated virus. You only have to look at the increasing daily numbers to realise that. Those testing positive for the virus are up 39% in a week in England. If the virus continued to spread, as it had in the last week or so, the implications would be horrendous.

Why didn't the wonderful Keir Starmer tell Drakeford to cancel Xmas in Wales if you believe he would have cancelled Xmas earlier? We all know your view that Keir Starmer can do know wrong but I believe all politicians, whatever their Party, are on a hiding to nothing as this thing is so fast moving.