+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Over 4,000 new cease in Wales and over 70 dead. There were 900 plus new cases in RCT and Blaenau Gwent, but these poor figures can be partially explained by the fact there were about three times as many tests as on a normal day - presumably there’s a degree of catching up in the figures after Christmas;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Over 4,000 new cease in Wales and over 70 dead. There were 900 plus new cases in RCT and Blaenau Gwent, but these poor figures can be partially explained by the fact there were about three times as many tests as on a normal day - presumably there’s a degree of catching up in the figures after Christmas;-

We know the the first of the long awaited vaccines is available and Wales has had its initial share. Shame is that we have given less doses than the other three home nations. Today's Echo says that up to 23 December Wales has vaccinated 1 in 140 of the population, N Ireland 1 in 75, Scotland 1 in 96 and England 1 in 107. The WG says it is difficult to transport in rural areas and they have limited ability to get it into care homes, but, there is no shortage of vaccine.
    N.Ireland has managed 8,000 jabs into care homes maybe we can learn from them.
    Our leaders say they are waiting for the AZ vaccine and plan a major push. Meanwhile we have some horrific case figures and deaths here in Wales. Every day counts and the population is asked to make big sacrifices on freedom whilst our leaders can't work around using the vaccines they already have to protect the people of Wales.
    I watched on TV the fleets of dedicated vans leaving Berlin yesterday to inject those in German nursing homes and wondered why we seem incapable of something similar. I'm right peed off with Gethin and Drakeford.

Sounds like uncle Tony's idea of a single vacine to more folk is gathering traction , as one vacine gives 91% two gets 95% protection so the calculation is between giving 4% more , than a lot more folk vaccinated earlier in a first tranch .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sounds like uncle Tony's idea of a single vacine to more folk is gathering traction , as one vacine gives 91% two gets 95% protection so the calculation is between giving 4% more , than a lot more folk vaccinated earlier in a first tranch .
    Lots of figures around regarding % protection after one dose, but I understand the majority opinion is that it is 50% effective.

Wished we had been more severe than Boris and shut all the pubs and stopped that non essential buying

Wished we had been more severe than Boris and shut all the pubs and stopped that non essential buying
    They did shut the pubs didn’t they? Dec 5th?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They did shut the pubs didn’t they? Dec 5th?
    I was being ironic , Wales has administered much harsher measures and still the bad boy virus got to many , i'm just preying our economy survives and jobs losses wont hurt the needy .

And just imagine what it would have been like if the WAG had been as lax as Johnson has been throughout the year.

And just imagine what it would have been like if the WAG had been as lax as Johnson has been throughout the year.
    That's an extraordinary comment given the Welsh Government's early cessation of the firebreak and the appalling COVID figures in Wales which are the worst in the UK. Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies Wales have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than England. While Wales had their firebreak at the right time it ended far too early and in a far to lax manner allowing a virtual free for all.

Let's see how the WAG deal with the vaccination programme. I can't say whether England has been more lax than Wales but if the post below from Lisvane Blue is correct things don't seem to be going too well at the moment despite the availability of the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That's an extraordinary comment given the Welsh Government's early cessation of the firebreak and the appalling COVID figures in Wales which are the worst in the UK. Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies Wales have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than England. While Wales had their firebreak at the right time it ended far too early and in a far to lax manner allowing a virtual free for all.

Let's see how the WAG deal with the vaccination programme. I can't say whether England has been more lax than Wales but if the post below from Lisvane Blue is correct things don't seem to be going too well at the moment despite the availability of the vaccine.
    Apologies. I was too late to edit the above post. The second sentence should read "Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies England have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than Wales".

Apologies. I was too late to edit the above post. The second sentence should read "Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies England have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than Wales".
    I took care to say throughout the year whereas you appear to be concentrating solely on the period since the firebreak which I concede the WAG have not handled well and it seems they are not making a great job of rolling out the vaccine. However, there has been a bit of a trend towards saying that Johnson and co are somehow responsible for England only and this is not true, they are the UK Government, therefore, despite the powers the WAG has with regard to healthcare in Wales, it's hardly as if they have full independence where Covid policy is concerned.

So far vaccinated less than anywhere else in the uk, not sure if anyone who isn’t front line or in a care home has been done yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So far vaccinated less than anywhere else in the uk, not sure if anyone who isn’t front line or in a care home has been done yet.....
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...covid-19526106

I suppose it'll all be in the timings. I've no doubt that Englands numbers will look horrific in a week or two.

Wales did well just after the firebreak but probably all can agree we should have stayed in it for considerably longer, but there's a balance to strike.

Someone has to have the lowest rate but not substantially lower.

Gethin and Drakeford need to explain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Create a panic to control the people? The new variant might not really be here so much, seemed a bit odd anyway, but the virus was definitely on the up a week or two ago....

I agree. Why is it so difficult to transport the Pfizer jab to care homes? The majority of care homes are likely to be near the major populations, the large towns and cities. I understand that Wales distributed the vaccine equally between the Health Authorities, so the rural areas got the same amount as the areas with dense populations. Powys having the same amount as Cardiff and Vale when there isn't even a general hospital in Powys seems ill thought out.

No doubt at least one of duo will be on TV this week telling us again that the new variant is the cause of our high infection rates,( not true), that it is virulent (not true) and that the most important thing is to stay at home to save lives ( while we think about how to protect the vulnerable with the vaccine)

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I agree. Why is it so difficult to transport the Pfizer jab to care homes? The majority of care homes are likely to be near the major populations, the large towns and cities. I understand that Wales distributed the vaccine equally between the Health Authorities, so the rural areas got the same amount as the areas with dense populations. Powys having the same amount as Cardiff and Vale when there isn't even a general hospital in Powys seems ill thought out.

No doubt at least one of duo will be on TV this week telling us again that the new variant is the cause of our high infection rates,( not true), that it is virulent (not true) and that the most important thing is to stay at home to save lives ( while we think about how to protect the vulnerable with the vaccine)
    Have you got any evidence to say that the vaccine is being distributed in rural areas at the same quantity to those areas with more dense populations? That doesn't make much sense to me, i'd like to see the breakdown if you've got it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

If and its a big if it really is a big issue getting this vaccine into Care Homes with the Oxford vaccine being on the horizon then why not vaccinate as many other people in vulnerable groups. Say the over 80s those with underlying health issues. Even expand to over 75s.

Then go back to plan A and go to the Care Homes when the Oxford comes out.

We should be vaccinating as quickly as possible.

So far im only aware of 1 person I know who has had a jab. A mate of mine who is a Social Worker.( he has been helping in care homes due to staff shortages)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Have you got any evidence to say that the vaccine is being distributed in rural areas at the same quantity to those areas with more dense populations? That doesn't make much sense to me, i'd like to see the breakdown if you've got it, thanks.
    Looks like it depends on the number of priority cases in each area. Swansea had more than the whole of N Wales.

http://www.deeside.com/north-wales-sees-12-of-first-vaccinations-in-wales/

Cheers Hilts. So not like LB was trying to make out, unless he know's different.

Cheers Hilts. So not like LB was trying to make out, unless he know's different.
    I think the article refers to the number of jabs given between 8-16 December for each Health Board, not the number of vaccines handed out to each. I do note later that WAG says it's distributed by relative size of the priority population in each health board. So those with the most care homes and over 80s should have got the most. That being the case why aren't jabs being given in care homes to any extent.
    My original comment that each authority got equal share came from what I believe Mark Drakeford said on TV a few weeks ago. When I have time I'll try to check it out on the WG website

I've had a brief look at past WG notices on distribution of the vaccine and can't find Drakeford's quote that each health authority gets an equal share. However I am sure he said it.

I did find a quote from him that Wales was the first country in the world to get supplies of the Pfizer vaccine!!

I looked again at the N Wales newspaper article and the WG spokesperson does not say that allocations to health authorities are based on the number of priority groups of patients. What he comments on are the number of jabs given to date in each health authority varying because of variance in priority group numbers. He also says that variations in allocations to each is because of ongoing distribution of stock ( ie it will even up as more stock is distributed) which ties in with my original understanding that each Authority receives the same quantity of stock.

Whatever, I just wish they would get on with using the stuff

Re the opposition that Paul Davies appears worse than RT and thats saying something.