+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    This playing politics is getting ridiculous on all sides now.

It is far too important for our leaders to play party games
    I dont think they did yesterday to be fair.

I thought Drakeford and Johnson did what they should. Be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im certain they know and are preparing for the start of vaccination. I saw no difference in Drakeford or Johnsons response.

I certainly didnt read his answer as we will decide what to do when we get it.
    How else do you interpret the quote then.

Let's put it this way

If Boris said we will decide how to use it when it is available, Sir Keir would (rightly) rip him apart at the next PMQ's for not having a plan!!

All parties responded cautiously yesterday.

The only real difference was when few tougher questions were asked Drakeford answered clearly and confidenly whereas Boris immediately starts stuttering , stammering and struggled to get his sentences out.
    All these arguments are really unnecessary and disguise the fact that the likely availability of the vaccine should be celebrated and not be the subject of political differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    All these arguments are really unnecessary and disguise the fact that the likely availability of the vaccine should be celebrated and not be the subject of political differences.
    I think the caution from the government was more to stop people coming out of a lockdown and just acting like things are normal.

It's definitely a massive thing to be celebrated but we still need to get to the point where people are getting it before letting our guard down.

All these arguments are really unnecessary and disguise the fact that the likely availability of the vaccine should be celebrated and not the subject of political differences.
    Of course.

Its great news. Im actually stunned. 90% effective. Isnt the flu 50%?

It's fair enough for the papers or the general public to celebrate this, but I wouldn't want Drakeford or Johnson celebrating this yet, cautious but hopeful seems to be the right tone at this stage.

Of course.

Its great news. Im actually stunned. 90% effective. Isnt the flu 50%?
    Yeah 50-60% on a good year I think.

The good thing about it being 90% is even if some people are reticent to take it, the herd immunity isn't as important when it's this strong.

I hope they can release some info to show people vaccines don't have latent issues (other than in one case I think) and the way these are made there is almost no chance of latent issues.

You might get short term side effects like the flu jab but as long as what they've told us about the trials is right they're perfectly safe.

Conspiracy theorists will have a field day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would assume that the arrangements to store and distribute a potential vaccine that looks like it'll be available in a few weeks are being looked at by someone., surely you don't believe they're really just sitting on their hands?

However, I think it is right for Drakeford to exercise caution, as if he came out with a statement saying that "hooray the vaccine is nearly here, we're all saved" then you'd see a lot of people suddenly caring a lot less about social distancing measures.

It is also worth considering that there are other companies working on vaccines - one or more of these may turn out to be more effective than the Pfizer one, or not require such extreme temperatures to give them a useable shelf life. So I can understand the comments about it being one companies message.

If we get the Pfizer vaccine here in Wales, and it sits around for weeks because we have nothing put in place for it, while people are dying in large numbers then yes absolutely the blame would stand at the door of the Welsh govermnent - however it is just speculation that that is going to happen.
    I hope e get several effective vaccines. Pfizer is good news because the others in development work in a similar way. They will all need to be stored in the same way as the Pfizer vaccine. I doubt others will be more effective than 90%. 50% is considered good

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Like he said....nothing to do with party politics

I’d be saying the same things whatever party the person represented

It's fair enough for the papers or the general public to celebrate this, but I wouldn't want Drakeford or Johnson celebrating this yet, cautious but hopeful seems to be the right tone at this stage.

Drakeford disappointed me as he suggested that the data should be read carefully because it came from a a competitor company in this field. The data was published by Pfizer but it was the results of a 43,000 patient study conducted in a controlled way by doctors in many parts of the world.

Bojo just stumbled through and said it was good news.

The study is exciting because the results are so good and the side effects apparently low. Further Pfizer, like AZ, has taken a business risk and already made millions of doses.

If our regulatory authorities approved the drug for use today it could be leaving the factory tomorrow. This isn't a maybe in the future thing, this is now. Even Pfizer say its ready to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And based on the UK (English) Government's record on the virus so far, I say (to borrow from another country) Vive Le Difference!
    I'm not sure anything he's done differently to England has had any material difference. I'm not sure that much that has been done/not done in other countries has had much impact. Italy, France and Spain have imposed far more strict lockdowns/restrictions/curfews that the UK, yet have all had pretty much the same 'results'. Wales has a few built up areas - the rest is mountains and sheep, just like Cornwall. High figures in the Valleys, low in the hills. Mr Pastry & Co. haven't been that effective, despite what us Welsh would like to think..

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I’d be saying the same things whatever party the person represented
    Apologies. I got you mixed up with someone with a similar user name who has heaped the blame for England's frailties on government agencies, civil servants and scientists and Wales's on governing politicians

Apologies. I got you mixed up with someone with a similar user name who has heaped the blame for England's frailties on government agencies, civil servants and scientists and Wales's on governing politicians
    I'm pleased that you spotted your error

Just 444 new cases reported in Wales;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm not sure anything he's done differently to England has had any material difference. I'm not sure that much that has been done/not done in other countries has had much impact. Italy, France and Spain have imposed far more strict lockdowns/restrictions/curfews that the UK, yet have all had pretty much the same 'results'. Wales has a few built up areas - the rest is mountains and sheep, just like Cornwall. High figures in the Valleys, low in the hills. Mr Pastry & Co. haven't been that effective, despite what us Welsh would like to think..
    It isn't just the Welsh who think so - polls in England have consistently shown that people there think the Welsh government has handled it more effectively than the UK government.

I have plenty of sympathy for all of the European governments trying to feel their way through this, as it is something that is completely new to all of us. I'm sure every country has made mistakes, and learned a lot, but we are still a long way from being able to deliver the kind of response they saw in the far east IMO.

It just seems to me that a lot of the worst mistakes that I'm aware of have come from the UK government - undoubtedly that'll be because they are under the most scrutiny here, but still I'd challenge anyone to say they've done well.

Late to lock down twice, Test and trace, PPE procurement, really confusing messaging to the public (barnard castle etc), the ventilator project

The other nations in the UK aren't performing MUCH differently in terms of outcomes in fairness.

At wales' door I suppose you can say they were also late to lockdown in the first instance, and perhaps in a couple of weeks we'll be saying that the 2nd lockdown should have lasted longer. They built a hospital in the Stadium that they didn't need, then dismantled it and are building another one.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples for both.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just 444 new cases reported in Wales;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary
    That's a big change, hopefully it is borne out over the next few days.

RCT down to 55 and Merthyr 19

Torfaen now the highest rate, followed by Bridgend

(why do we have so many areas in South Wales, I mean what is the point of Torfaen or Blainau Gwent?)

Heisenberg

Like he said....nothing to do with party politics
    Succinct.

I hope e get several effective vaccines. Pfizer is good news because the others in development work in a similar way. They will all need to be stored in the same way as the Pfizer vaccine. I doubt others will be more effective than 90%. 50% is considered good
    I wonder if the vaccine is known to be not effective if stored at greater than -80 C or if they haven't had time to do the work to demonstrate that yet.

I wonder if the vaccine is known to be not effective if stored at greater than -80 C or if they haven't had time to do the work to demonstrate that yet.
    This type of vaccine is cutting edge technology. There is a lot of work going on to try and make it stable at ambient temperature. This would make a huge difference when using it in warmer climates or in areas where there is limited cold storage.

This type of vaccine is cutting edge technology. There is a lot of work going on to try and make it stable at ambient temperature. This would make a huge difference when using it in warmer climates or in areas where there is limited cold storage.
    My point was really it could already be more stable at higher temperatures, just they haven't had the time to demonstrate that yet, as that would require ageing the product at a temperature and repeating clinical trials - if you wanted to accelerate the time to market then the ageing studies would be the first to go.

OR

It could actually be unstable at temperatures greater than -80C.

Today my Mrs had a positive test for covid 19,i have to now go into isolation my first break from work scince Christmas.
    She has no symptoms but where she works there are 4 with symptoms.The problem is i will only be paid ssp i still have to pay the rent and bills.I can understand how people still go to work even when they should not.

The Oxford one doesn’t need to be stored at -80 I heard?

Yes more than your typical Monday.
    Update from the front: it was much quieter in the city centre today when I went in at lunchtime. Busier than before the firebreak lockdown and there were small queues outside some of the shops, but it was a good deal less hectic than Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Update from the front: it was much quieter in the city centre today when I went in at lunchtime. Busier than before the firebreak lockdown and there were small queues outside some of the shops, but it was a good deal less hectic than Monday.
    The Secret Diary Of Dave Gunman, Age 56 & 3/4

this testing thing isnt working

a outbreak in my daughters school, my wife has had a bit of a cold for a few days ( no C19 symptoms ) Thursday i had a bit of a cough, nothing over the top ( a cold normally shows as a cough with me )

we had started our lockdown here, so i wasnt going out anyway

Friday we are told one of my oldest daughters friends mum has tested positive, the son was off school

My wife still had her cold and our the oldest daughter had a bit of a cold, i still had a slight cough and a very strong metallic taste in my mouth all the time

Saturday morning we have a cooked breakfast and my wife said she cannot taste anything, so i get online a book tests for the 3 of us, we were throwing the completed tests in the " collection bin " at 12.10 , we were told we should get the results tomorrow morning ( sunday )

Well its Tuesday night and still no results