+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Never let a crisis go to waste. As if the Labour alternative could do any better. After McDonnel, Abbot and Corbyn we have Starmer who has flim flammed all over the place on for example closing the borders and education.
    "Never let a crisis go to waste"!!! What a pathetic and hugely disrespectful response to the passing of 100,000 souls and the blood on this government's hands!

Assailing your political foes even though they had no control over the situation we now find ourselves in saddens me but I probably shouldn't have expected more from you even on this sombre occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    "Never let a crisis go to waste"!!! What a pathetic and hugely disrespectful response to the passing of 100,000 souls and the blood on this government's hands!

Assailing your political foes even though they had no control over the situation we now find ourselves in saddens me but I probably shouldn't have expected more from you even on this sombre occasion.
    I was quoting the Labour Party's Education spokesperson, Kate Green. I agree it is hugely disrespectful, pathetic and idiotic. I quoted that because that is the kind of idiocy that has emerged from our opposition that many oh here support without question.. For reference:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/28/labou...aste-13338820/

I am no fan of Johnson either but to think Her Majesty's opposition could do any better is speculative to say the least. In answer to another question I mentioned it because of the quote mentioned in my post.

I was quoting the Labour Party's Education spokesperson, Kate Green. I agree it is hugely disrespectful, pathetic and idiotic. I quoted that because that is the kind of idiocy that has emerged from our opposition that many oh here support without question.. For reference:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/28/labou...aste-13338820/

I am no fan of Johnson either but to think Her Majesty's opposition could do any better is speculative to say the least. In answer to another question I mentioned it because of the quote mentioned in my post.
    To think they'd do worse is speculative to say the least, I don't see how it could have gone worse.

It will be 150,000 deaths by the end of March the way we are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    To think they'd do worse is speculative to say the least, I don't see how it could have gone worse.

It will be 150,000 deaths by the end of March the way we are going.
    To think they would do better is equally speculative. The number of deaths is horrendous and no doubt the reasons for this and the recriminations will come out in the inevitable Public Inquiry from which hopefully valuable lessons will be learned.

I have criticised this government on several fronts in relation to the crisis (for example, the ineptitude of Johnson, PPE, Test and Trace, timing of lockdowns and the Dominic Cummings incident etc) but I find this unwavering support for the opposition to be biased in the extreme.

To think they would do better is equally speculative. The number of deaths is horrendous and no doubt the reasons for this and the recriminations will come out in the inevitable Public Inquiry from which hopefully valuable lessons will be learned.

I have criticised this government on several fronts in relation to the crisis (for example, the ineptitude of Johnson, PPE, Test and Trace, timing of lockdowns and the Dominic Cummings incident etc) but I find this unwavering support for the opposition to be biased in the extreme.
    I don't understand why you think anyone is supporting the opposition?

Everyone is saying the government have made a shitshow of this, they're a bunch of crooked ***** and deserve to be held up for what they've done.

It's on you that you think anyone criticising this government and the pathetic way they're handled this pandemic is support for the opposition.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I doubt any other cabinet, and I'm including Tory cabinets of old so this is not red v blue, would have wasted so many billions on contracts for their unqualified associates.

Jobs for the boys has been sickening, and probably criminal.
    Exactly. I wholeheartedly would have taken a Theresa May or a John Major (even a fecking David Cameron) govt. over these criminals.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    if you read what I wrote I said WG had all the powers that the UK government had. Whatever the UK government could do, so could WG.
    Yeah, but you saying that doesn't help matters when you're purposely looking for an argument.

Perhaps you can answer my question if you're so confident...

If the WAG had the same powers as the UK Govt., why were they granted powers in the Coronavirus Act 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, but you saying that doesn't help matters when you're purposely looking for an argument.

If the WAG had the same powers as the UK Govt., why were they granted powers in the Coronavirus Act 2020?
    Wales Gov were granted emergency powers on 8 March 2020 when 4 cases had been reported in Wales

Feedback

you mean the powers that were granted to the UK government at the same time?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Ahem...

PPE...Thank you the Guardian. They mention UK DHSC, but that body is essentially for England regarding Health. I say again PHW and NHS are the responsible bodies in Wales. Latterly Drakeford has spoken how well Wales did securing PPE to the extent that we helped England out.

Lockdown....Of course we could have locked down earlier but we chose not to. It takes guts and we could have locked down without a furlough scheme in place. It would have traumatic with a lot of people on the dole but we could have done it.

Track and Trace...Wales could have done its own thing, in fact it did I think in Ceredigion and it worked well. Track and trace is not the world beater that was promised but to add to that Wales had real problems getting timely results and that's not Westminsters fault.

I don't where issue about borders came in because I didn't raise it.
    Ahem again...

You keep missing the point...

Who was in control stockpiling PPE in preparation for a pandemic? The fact that Wales had to work so hard to procure so much PPE was down to the fact that the stockpile was so depleted. Are you conveniently forgetting that?

I know you realise that by having a national, Welsh-only lockdown then that would obviously include Wales closing the border with England. Are you categorically telling me that Wales had the power to do that?

That's why I mentioned borders to you.

I think a couple of you are playing dumb or just being disingenuous today.

Feedback

Ahem again...

Who was in control stockpiling PPE in preparation for a pandemic? The fact that Wales had to work so hard to procure so much PPE was down to the fact that the stockpile was so depleted. Are you conveniently forgetting that?

I know you realise that by having a national, Welsh-only lockdown then that would obviously include Wales closing the border with England. Are you categorically telling me that Wales had the power to do that?

it was down to the Welsh NHS and PHW to stockpile PPE - they did not. It was the same issue in England. So whilst PHE and the NHS are responsible for the lack of PPE in England, the same is said of PHW and the Welsh NHS in Wales.

As for your comments about the English border, the police were patrolling it, and turning people around.

Ahem again...

In July I was speaking to a Director at Sport Wales National Centre [Sophia Gardens]. In March he and several of his Co directors at other Bodies had sourced PPE from reliable sources but had to go through Procurement Wales to place orders. Procurement Wales refused as the suppliers were not on the approved suppliers list.

By almost every standard Wales is at the bottom of the UK list.

Ahem again...

The lack of PPE stock in Wales was down to PHW/NHS Wales. The lack of PPE stock in England was down to PHE/ NHS England.

Wales could lockdown relatively effectively with or without border control and we do. Stay at home, shut shops, shut hospitality and when visitors cross the border they are subject to Wales lockdown rules. Where's the problem with that?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    All four home countries were granted emergency powers on 8 March 2020. The Stereophoncis gig was mid-March so Wales Gov could have stopped it. It would however have been a very unpopular move.
    Then the criticism is completely fair. The WAG f**ked that one up completely.

Feedback

Then the criticism is completely fair. The WAG f**ked that one up completely.
    of course they did, just like the UK government allowing Cheltenham was a cluster ****, but you won't see criticism of Drakeford or Welsh Labour from many on here, like you do with Boris and chums.

of course they did, just like the UK government allowing Cheltenham was a cluster ****, but you won't see criticism of Drakeford or Welsh Labour from many on here, like you do with Boris and chums.
    Have you not been reading the board very much? They've been absolutely criticised non stop and rightly so.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Have you not been reading the board very much? They've been absolutely criticised non stop and rightly so.
    those posts must have been deleted before I got here.

Heisenberg

Wait a second....

https://services.parliament.uk/bills...ronavirus.html

"Following agreement by both Houses on the text of the Bill it received Royal Assent on 25 March. The Bill is now an Act of Parliament (law)."

25th of March. Not the 8th of March.

Am I missing something glaring here or are you telling fibs Lisvaneblue?

Always happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

Heisenberg

Are you kidding?! They all get a hammering on here ya soft git

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    In July I was speaking to a Director at Sport Wales National Centre [Sophia Gardens]. In March he and several of his Co directors at other Bodies had sourced PPE from reliable sources but had to go through Procurement Wales to place orders. Procurement Wales refused as the suppliers were not on the approved suppliers list.

By almost every standard Wales is at the bottom of the UK list.
    That's interesting... But did you believe him? I ask this question because you have continuously played down the seriousness of the pandemic and think there's been a massive overreaction to it.

That's interesting... But did you believe him? I ask this question because you have continuously played down the seriousness of the pandemic and think there's been a massive overreaction to it.
    I do, have known him years. RE. the pandemic my two bones of contention are the way the media - eg BBC have presented it, a non-stop assault on people's emotions, fears etc. It's got to the stage where the news items are getting more 'brutal' by the day because the Govt. believes some folk have become immune to what was being shown and presented. The public have been and are being treated like specimens in a tank. Secondly I do not think a Government has the right - morally or legally to instruct people to remain inside their homes. We've had scores of lockdowns of varying scope and yet we're worse off than ever. Lockdowns haven't worked. They've been counter-productive. Controls, precautions, yes, but shutting everything down has been a collective madness, a madness which seems to have no end in sight. In fact there's more precaution, doom and gloom now, than at any other time, even though we're getting to the point where most of the over 80's have 70% protection.

Heisenberg

Feedy and Lisvaneblue,

You've both consistently said that the Welsh government had the same powers as the UK govt. to make all of these early decisions...

Even claiming the emergency bill was passed two weeks before it did.

Then please tell me why on earth the Coronavirus Bill was passed on the 25th March 2020 (not the 8th March) to grant powers to the devolved nations for enacting their own responses to the pandemic?

Don't shirk the question.

Feedback

Feedy and Lisvaneblue,

You've both consistently said that the Welsh government had the same powers as the UK govt. to make all of these early decisions...

Even claiming the emergency bill was passed two weeks before it did.

Then please tell me why on earth the Coronavirus Bill was passed on the 25th March 2020 (not the 8th March) to grant powers to the devolved nations for enacting their own responses to the pandemic?

Don't shirk the question.
    why are you asking me this?

anyway, here's a good article, have a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757790

Heisenberg

I'll reword some of that so you don't just give a pedantic answer...

"... please tell me why on earth the Coronavirus Bill was passed on the 25th March 2020 (not the 8th March) which granted powers to the devolved nations for enacting their own responses to the pandemic?"

I'll reword some of that so you don't just give a pedantic answer...

"... please tell me why on earth the Coronavirus Bill was passed on the 25th March 2020 (not the 8th March) which granted powers to the devolved nations for enacting their own responses to the pandemic?"
    Emergency powers 8 March, the bill followed and the powers granted were tailored to react to the pandemic.

There's a statement from Vaughan Gething on 8 March on line stating the granting of emergency powers