+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    More good vaccine news, a single dose Belgian vaccine has proved 66 per cent effective (85 per cent for preventing serious cases) - Britain has ordered 30 million doses of this one.

The bad(dish) news is that it was only 57 per cent effective in South Africa, but the makers are looking into whether a double dose would provide different results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55857530
    One question on that, not to you but to the people reporting these results.
    If the vaccine prevents people from getting the virus in the first place, how can they possibly know that it is more effective in preventing serious cases ? That would be the report on a possible cure I'd think.

Shirley if it works there are no cases serious or other wise and if there are cases serious or not, that means it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If the vaccine prevents people from getting the virus in the first place, how can they possibly know that it is more effective in preventing serious cases ? That would be the report on a possible cure I'd think.

Shirley if it works there are no cases serious or other wise and if there are cases serious or not, that means it didn't work.
    It doesn't. A vaccine teaches your body how to deal with the virus. It cannot stop you catching it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It doesn't. A vaccine teaches your body how to deal with the virus. It cannot stop you catching it.
    I get that and accept I was being a little simplistic but it still remains that if someone who has had it then gets a severe attack of the virus it must mean that the vaccine didn't work in the first place.
    You shirley cannot say that if a person gets a severe attack after having the vaccine and then recovers that this demonstrates that it works better on people with severe cases than those with mild or no virus problems?
    That makes no sense what so ever.

I get that and accept I was being a little simplistic but it still remains that if someone who has had it then gets a severe attack of the virus it must mean that the vaccine didn't work in the first place.
    You shirley cannot say that if a person gets a severe attack after having the vaccine and then recovers that this demonstrates that it works better on people with severe cases than those with mild or no virus problems?
    I have got no idea what you're getting at.

Because it’s not 100% effective some people still get ill. But those who have got ill have not needed hospital treatment.

No it doesnt. But havent seen that anyway.

I dont know about anyone else but dont know what your getting at.

The vaccine even if you get symptoms they are less severe less hospitalsions less death.

I think one of them has a 100 % effectiveness against death. It even may have been hospitalisation.

Vaccines aren’t 100% effective if that’s what you mean by work.

I can break it down for you if you like:

200 people in a test, 100 get there vaccine, 100 don’t.

Let’s say in the placebo group 50 people test positive for Covid while in the vaccine group 20 people do.

That means it has 60% efficacy.

Then out of the 50 people who tested positive in the placebo group 10 have severe symptoms but in the vaccine group only 2 have severe symptoms.

That means it’s 80% effective against severe Covid.

That’s what they mean. They don’t literally mean that one person would definitely have got severe symptoms, just by the efficacy of the vaccine you can extrapolate it.

NB- my %s aren’t correct

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Vaccines aren’t 100% effective if that’s what you mean by work.

I can break it down for you if you like:

200 people in a test, 100 get there vaccine, 100 don’t.

Let’s say in the placebo group 50 people test positive for Covid while in the vaccine group 20 people do.

That means it has 60% efficacy.

Then out of the 50 people who tested positive in the placebo group 10 have severe symptoms but in the vaccine group only 2 have severe symptoms.

That means it’s 80% effective against severe Covid.

That’s what they mean. They don’t literally mean that one person would definitely have got severe symptoms, just by the efficacy of the vaccine you can extrapolate it.

NB- my %s aren’t correct
    How do you survive wit incorrect %s. It must keep you awake at night.
    Yes OK I see your point, perhaps it was just the way it was put.

More important is how do I upload pictures and gifs on here? I tried all ways but none work

Was there actually any change in the rules today from our esteemed leader?

Come on Wales! Perhaps the leadership we have isn't so bad after all.

https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/...270337541?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Come on Wales! Perhaps the leadership we have isn't so bad after all.

https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/...270337541?s=19
    I always have a look at the chart on this page which shows the rates per 100k for each district. Most of the time, Merthyr and RCT have been around the top, but I’m pleased to see them both in relegation trouble this week!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inations-today

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always have a look at the chart on this page which shows the rates per 100k for each district. Most of the time, Merthyr and RCT have been around the top, but I’m pleased to see them both in relegation trouble this week!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inations-today
    No wonder you've been keeping a low profile!

Seriously, it is good news all round. Touch wood, we have been lucky down here in Pembrokeshire although even here over 3000 have sadly died.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    No wonder you've been keeping a low profile!

Seriously, it is good news all round. Touch wood, we have been lucky down here in Pembrokeshire although even here over 3000 have sadly died.
    3000??

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    3000??
    I think he's a bit confused there, there have been 3000 cases in Pembrokeshire, not deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think he's a bit confused there, there have been 3000 cases in Pembrokeshire, not deaths.
    in hywel dda health board area, which is Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and ceredigion there have been 363 deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It’s so remote with not many people (125,000) it’s hardly surprising rates are low.....mind you they are low everywhere now, swansea almost under 100 and cardiff 142, and that’s 7 days ago.....tier 1 anyone?

Sad news, I hope he gets over it;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-55881508

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s so remote with not many people (125,000) it’s hardly surprising rates are low.....mind you they are low everywhere now, swansea almost under 100 and cardiff 142, and that’s 7 days ago.....tier 1 anyone?
    Sorry, senior moment. 🤨 Cases not deaths. If there had been 3000 there'd be no fecker left.
    No doubt our rurality has had a big impact although I think we were worried during summer, there were so many visitors, but in fairness they had little effect on numbers.

International

Having just noticed the post count I have to say that Delmbox failed miserably there!

Infection rate continues to fall in Wales.

With hospitality looking like reopening in May at the earliest in England will Drakeford start opening Wales sooner?

Or will he follow England.?

Good news that cases are falling. It will be interesting what happens when schools go back.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/wales-coronavirus-cases-latest-deaths-19741425

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Infection rate continues to fall in Wales.

With hospitality looking like reopening in May at the earliest in England will Drakeford start opening Wales sooner?

Or will he follow England.?

Good news that cases are falling. It will be interesting what happens when schools go back.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/h...eaths-19741425
    If they vaccinated teachers now then there isn’t be any disruption.....don’t know why they don’t just get on with it, you know they will in the end....probably to late as ever

Got my vaccine today - go back in April for Pt 2.
    They turned the dental dept of Kings College hospital into a pop up vaccination centre and the dentists were jabbing us.

International

Any word on whether 70ys olds got there invitation for a jab by last firday as Gethin promised??

I haven't had mine.