+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Any word on whether 70ys olds got there invitation for a jab by last firday as Gethin promised??

I haven't had mine.
    My sister's partner got his on Friday for his injection today at the STAR centre.

My mother had to stay in bed the day after hers. Aches chills etc. Better the next day and fine 2 days later though out walking.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    My mother had to stay in bed the day after hers. Aches chills etc. Better the next day and fine 2 days later though out walking.
    I felt groggy as f**k about 36hrs after mine. Slept for about 12hrs and struggled to get out of bed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Swansea and Merthyr now under the magic 100 case number per 100,000 people.
    Most of South Wales not far behind with Newport the highest at 144. Cardiff, Vale, Bridgend etc hovering around 100 - 130.

Some areas of Midlands, London & Merseyside still very high at 450+. Miles off lockdown in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Swansea and Merthyr now under the magic 100 case number per 100,000 people.
    Most of South Wales not far behind with Newport the highest at 144. Cardiff, Vale, Bridgend etc hovering around 100 - 130.

Some areas of Midlands, London & Merseyside still very high at 450+. Miles off lockdown in those areas.
    Good news. However we're now entering the 'variants' stage - every new variant that pops up [of which there will be plenty] signals a tightening/extending of restrictions. Listened to an interview on Radio 5 live around 8am. Another SAGE scientist preaching doom regarding the South African strain. At every opportunity the journalist effectively played down every single warning he gave [which in itself is highly unusual for the BBC], and he ended up retracting most of what he originally said..

Had my first jab yesterday. Only one slightly bizarre side effect - a sudden craving for bananas. I was a bit worried at first but then I read the patient information leaflet and found that the Astra Zeneca vaccine is based on a modified chimpanzee virus.

Joking aside, no after effects whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Good news. However we're now entering the 'variants' stage - every new variant that pops up [of which there will be plenty] signals a tightening/extending of restrictions. Listened to an interview on Radio 5 live around 8am. Another SAGE scientist preaching doom regarding the South African strain. At every opportunity the journalist effectively played down every single warning he gave [which in itself is highly unusual for the BBC], and he ended up retracting most of what he originally said..

There’s 100’s of variants already, this is what they do, most are harmless. They will have to adapt the vaccine every year to counter it.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    There’s 100’s of variants already, this is what they do, most are harmless. They will have to adapt the vaccine every year to counter it.
    Yes, I know. Point I'm making is the vaccine roll-out is creating a degree of optimism which the Authorities see as a danger. The masses may become complacent and clamour for easing of restrictions, so they're now focusing on the many variants and the new ''dangers' we face.

Yes, I know. Point I'm making is the vaccine roll-out is creating a degree of optimism which the Authorities see as a danger. The masses may become complacent and clamour for easing of restrictions, so they're now focusing on the many variants and the new ''dangers' we face.
    Oh I know, any opportunity to scare the public into further submission won’t be missed by the Government....variants, South African ones....whatever next?

Very unusual indeed. It obviously wasn't Laura Kuenssberg doing the interview then!

Just been announced that Tom Moore has died in hospital- after his fantastic efforts last year, this is someone who definitely deserves to rest in peace.

International

On my travels today I have heard BBC reporters on at least 3 occasions talking about the "South African" strain of the virus and saying there is concern that the vaccines won't protect against it.
    And in each bulletin there has been an 'expert' on who has said, they are not concerned and are confident that the vaccines will give more than adequate protection against it.
    And on the 6 O'clock news the BBC said it again, and again an expert that they have chosen (dullards) has immediately said the opposite.
    But they cannot help themselves, they have to report something negative.

Seems like good news on the Oxford virus from the always negative BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yeah, they reported that, that it cuts the abilty to pass the disease on in the same bulletin in which they said the other. But you can guess where the emphasis was. lol

I reckon even the BBC are sick of accentuating the negativity !

International

Not sure they're sick of it, but there is less bad news for them to feast on..

Those who study journalism are told "There is no news like bad news and don't let the facts get in the way of a good story."

cases seem to be where they were in early September now, and dropping consistently., but we can see how quickly it can shoot back up again from that position with no restrictions ' in the winter months anyway.

they will surely have to consider schools going back after half term though.Screenshot_2021-02-03-12-50-21-368_com.android.chrome.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    cases seem to be where they were in early September now, and dropping consistently., but we can see how quickly it can shoot back up again from that position with no restrictions ' in the winter months anyway.

they will surely have to consider schools going back after half term though.Screenshot_2021-02-03-12-50-21-368_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Schools back after half term and gradual easing of restrictions from April onwards (if cases continue to fall) makes sense to me? By that point a significant proportion of those most at risk will have been fully vaccinated and we saw low cases throughout the summer anyway without a vaccine

I'm sure we'll come up with some nonsensical way of doing it though

“They’re trying their best though”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...navirus-crisis

“They’re trying their best though”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...navirus-crisis
    This will be music to the ears of many on here. I see the hope is that schools will be back by 22 February in Wales which arguably is too soon as immunity for the first tier to receive the vaccine will not have kicked in by then. Let's hope the Welsh government are not playing politics as they have a history of ending shut downs early.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    This will be music to the ears of many on here. I see the hope is that schools will be back by 22 February in Wales which arguably is too soon as immunity for the first tier to receive the vaccine will not have kicked in by then. Let's hope the Welsh government are not playing politics as they have a history of ending shut downs early.
    I see the story I linked to mentioned about Wales coming out of their firebreak too early - hopefully, the vaccine roll out isn’t going to be the disaster it looked like being at one time, so, for me, the handling of the latter stages of the Firebreak remains the WAG’s worst moment of the pandemic.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think to be fair to the WAG wqhen they say 'schools' they don't mean a 100% return on =masse.
    At first its only the toddlers (Starters - don't know the correct term) and those who would normally be in their exam years.
    All the rest gradually depending how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think to be fair to the WAG wqhen they say 'schools' they don't mean a 100% return on =masse.
    At first its only the toddlers (Starters - don't know the correct term) and those who would normally be in their exam years.
    All the rest gradually depending how things go.
    I understand that but many of those that have received their jabs won't have gained immunity by 22 February as they won't have had time for their resistance to COVID to build up which is normally 3-4 weeks after their first jab. I believe that is one of the main reasons why scientists in England recommended school returns from 8 March. However if there are sound scientific reasons for returning earlier in Wales then so be it as long as the WG are not following a strategy of simply wanting to be different to England in order to emphasise their independence.