+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What do you define as “far better”?

I’ve not even got a horse in the race but looking at that link wales have been doing significantly better than England since the 27th of January.

Unless you’ve never complained about wales being worse than England you can’t say they aren’t doing far better now.
    Yes I am not Drakeford's biggest fan but they are doing much better now.

Although that is probably down to Gethin rather than Drakeford.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It looks about 15% better to me
    Shit everyone knows that’s only much better

Slightly better >5%
    Much better >10%
    Far better >16%!

When I was talking about our schools being able to go back sooner as its better in Wales than England I was referring our infection rate.

By mid February we will likely be under 100/100000.

England are not as well positioned.

Both are doing a great rollout with the vaccines.

Initially in Tier 4 schools could open then things got worse. Wales figures could be at Tier 2 levels in a few weeks so while we should be cautious theres an argument that we can start opening before most places in England as they look a few weeks maybe behind in getting infection rates down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    When I was talking about our schools being able to go back sooner as its better in Wales than England I was referring our infection rate.

By mid February we will likely be under 100/100000.

England are not as well positioned.

Both are doing a great rollout with the vaccines.

Initially in Tier 4 schools could open then things got worse. Wales figures could be at Tier 2 levels in a few weeks so while we should be cautious theres an argument that we can start opening before most places in England as they look a few weeks maybe behind in getting infection rates down.
    I think schools will be phased back in after half term.

I can see us being slower to open up the rest and fall into line with England as we are under no pressure with the furlough scheme if it was Wales in a worse position than England.

I have tried hard not to criticise the government over their handling of the pandemic on the grounds that it is an unscripted and unprecedented situation but the quarantining of visitors, or rather lack of, is a matter that cannot go unchallenged. Finally, 50 days after the new COVID virus variant arrived, HM Gov has decided to try the hotel quarantine scheme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55935875

The UK is an island for heaven's sake so surely the easiest to isolate?

Also who the heck are these 20,000+ people who arrive here EVERY DAY apparently? I thought it was a "small number" according to Boris, so insignificant in fact that quarantining them would make no difference! What a joke.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I have tried hard not to criticise the government over their handling of the pandemic on the grounds that it is an unscripted and unprecedented situation but the quarantining of visitors, or rather lack of, is a matter that cannot go unchallenged. Finally, 50 days after the new COVID virus variant arrived, HM Gov has decided to try the hotel quarantine scheme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55935875

The UK is an island for heaven's sake so surely the easiest to isolate?

Also who the heck are these 20,000+ people who arrive here EVERY DAY apparently? I thought it was a "small number" according to Boris, so insignificant in fact that quarantining them would make no difference! What a joke.
    Something like 3/4 of the people who arrive in Heathrow every nomal day never leave the airport. When you think that there is a plane landing about every minute that's an awful lot of people coming into contact with cabin crews and airport staff but not staying to be quarantined. By comparison the 1/4 that does stay is a small number

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Something like 3/4 of the people who arrive in Heathrow every nomal day never leave the airport. When you think that there is a plane landing about every minute that's an awful lot of people coming into contact with cabin crews and airport staff but not staying to be quarantined. By comparison the 1/4 that does stay is a small number
    By comparison to the population of the UK the 21,000 that leave ports and airports every day to move around the country is an even smaller number. But by comparison to the number of people who can fit into a Mini Metro it is a massive number! This numbers and comparisons game is right good!

Transiting airline passengers is a different issue. The numbers may be bigger (if you say so) but how does that diminish the threat associated with porous borders 11 months after the pandemic started?

3/4 of people don't leave the airport - can you provide a reference for that please? Assuming you are correct then, I would disagree that 5000 people a day is a small number! That'll only be a mere 175,000 then since January 1st.

Just watched Oliver Dowden on Question Time giving us the usual nonsense about the UK having real draconian measures already in place - you're having a laugh mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The highest current South Wales County, Carmarthen, with a 7 day rate of 147.3 would be in the lowest 30 of the 315 English Counties by comparison.

Im sure ive read Drakeford saying they may look at a UK route for coming out of lockdown. Which if he does his tier system will be out of the window.

France and Spain which have both had strict lockdowns throughout the winter months have today seen higher new cases than the UK. Spain has actually seen cases rise continuously since early summer. There are times when I get the impression that despite the confident and knowledgeable -looking scientists delivering their verdicts on a daily basis across Europe, they really don't have much of an idea how to stop it. Thank God for vaccinations..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    France and Spain which have both had strict lockdowns throughout the winter months have today seen higher new cases than the UK. Spain has actually seen cases rise continuously since early summer. There are times when I get the impression that despite the confident and knowledgeable -looking scientists delivering their verdicts on a daily basis across Europe, they really don't have much of an idea how to stop it. Thank God for vaccinations..
    France and Spain haven’t had strict full lockdowns at all, there is currently a debate in France about whether they do need a full lockdown like the U.K. has had. They’ve both had curfews but in France you are still able to travel to other regions.

Both have had schools open too.

You only have to look at the numbers in the U.K. since Christmas to see the effect a full lockdown has.

Everyone should quarantine, no matter what country.

International

There was a professor on the BBC yesterday that said if you interrogate the real numbers available now it seems that christmas, contrary to popular belief actually had the effect of slowing the virus spread. This is because people stayed in their homes, no one, even those who normally do weren't working or travelling, and the virus had fewer places to spread.

I know some on here won't like that, but he said if not for chrsitmas the toll could be higher.

There was a professor on the BBC yesterday that said if you interrogate the real numbers available now it seems that christmas, contrary to popular belief actually had the effect of slowing the virus spread. This is because people stayed in their homes, no one, even those who normally do weren't working or travelling, and the virus had fewer places to spread.

I know some on here won't like that, but he said if not for chrsitmas the toll could be higher.
    Thinly veiled dig at the Jehovahs.

I'm struggling to understand what your point is here?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what your point is here?
    hat so many people were saying that what was allowed at christmas caused a surge in infactions/hositalisations/ deaths and now they have the figures it appears that isn't so.

Heisenberg

I get what the professor is saying but I don't understand your remark at the end.

Do we need to thank Christians or Boris Johnson for the toll being low around Christmas?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I get what the professor is saying but I don't understand your remark at the end.

Do we need to thank Christians or Boris Johnson for the toll being low around Christmas?
    I thought you wouldn't like it.

Heisenberg

I thought you wouldn't like it.
    Honestly, I'm not being difficult here. Your point is very unclear.

If you could explain what you meant then maybe I wouldn't like it... But, as it stands, I don't even understand it (and it appears a few others don't either).

I know you hate being asked to answer for yourself when you've made a post about something... but maybe you could have a go this time for the sake of clarity?

Heisenberg

hat so many people were saying that what was allowed at christmas caused a surge in infactions/hositalisations/ deaths and now they have the figures it appears that isn't so.
    Ahhh ok... It makes sense now.

You didn't mention things that people were allowed to do during Christmas in your post earlier, just things that people didn't do over the Christmas period.

Not sure how you have conflated the two though.

International

Ahhh ok... It makes sense now.

You didn't mention things that people were allowed to do during Christmas in your post earlier, just things that people didn't do over the Christmas period.

Not sure how you have conflated the two though.
    You like that word don't you? The professor didn't mention what people were allowed to do, he only mentioned what they didn't do, and I was merely paraphrasing his remarks.
    One way or the other is seems that whatever was allowed or not done at christmas time (or a combination of both) seems to have had a beneficial effect on things as opposed to the bad effect people were keen to state it would or did have.

Heisenberg

You like that word don't you? The professor didn't mention what people were allowed to do, he only mentioned what they didn't do, and I was merely paraphrasing his remarks.
    One way or the other is seems that whatever was allowed or not done at christmas time (or a combination of both) seems to have had a beneficial effect on things as opposed to the bad effect people were keen to state it would or did have.
    What word?
    Here's what I don't understand... You said whatever was allowed had a beneficial effect. How do you work that out? It may not have had the drastic effect that some were predicting... But beneficial?! No chance.

International

What word?
    Here's what I don't understand... You said whatever was allowed had a beneficial effect. How do you work that out? It may not have had the drastic effect that some were predicting... But beneficial?! No chance.
    Thats the term he used. People enjoying chisitmas at home and not doing things like catching trains buses etc and not going to work in factories office and so on had a benefical effect on the numbers, as in didn't made them worse than they would have been but in fact helped to supress them.
    I know you know what was meant but you're just being a pedant so we'll end our cchat.