+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Great to hear the AstraZeneca vaccine is okay for over 65's despite European caution.

The longer break between the first and second vaccine seems to be another correct decision according to scientific evidence

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    All 3 of those things are related to the vaccine aren't they?

If it hadn't been so poorly mismanaged early on maybe we wouldn't have needed this to be saving lives more just opening up the country.
    That miss management argument could be made anywhere in the world including cautious Wales and Scotland who had the independent ability to apply its own and different rules.

The second wave has effected those European countries who took very different decisions and the virus still won .

I'd replace the word miss management with inexperience here in the UK and elsewhere .

What is clear the vaccine investment and roll out in the UK has been ground breaking and unique.

With everyone over 70 vaccinated soon, and everyone over 50 by May apparently, how is there any justification for keeping restrictions going on? Especially with rates so low at the moment, we will be back at September levels soon if not already.....surely shops, pubs, cafes restaurants won’t last much longer if they don’t open them in the next month or so.....

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/sta...776609285?s=19

losing track of how many stories like this there have been already

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Why give him Ł5k? Not like he needs it, a weeks wages maybe? Be amazed if any of these stories are true as surely he’d be culpable if these things are put out to tender?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Why give him Ł5k? Not like he needs it, a weeks wages maybe? Be amazed if any of these stories are true as surely he’d be culpable if these things are put out to tender?
    I'd agree with you if they were put out to tender.

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/370/bmj.m3147.full.pdf

Seems no one's too bothered about it, they got Brexit done after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Been a while since that happened....so low everywhere which is great to see

I still think Drakeford's "this is not a sprint" comment was both crass and of no use whatsoever, but I can't deny time has proved him right to the extent that he can now claim that Wales has hit targets and the fact that the Welsh Minister in the UK Government seems to be wanting to claim some of the credit for Wales hitting their targets (funny how he was nowhere to be seen or heard when the flak was flying) tells you that this story is correct;-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1360024066967670785

Therefore, as someone who was very critical of Drakeford and the WAG in the early stages of the vaccine roll out, here I am eating humble pie as I said I would if the the targets were hit - I trust those who were being so critical early in the New Year on here amid claims that the roll out was solely the responsibility of the WAG and nothing to do with the UK Government will join me in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I still think Drakeford's "this is not a sprint" comment was both crass and of no use whatsoever, but I can't deny time has proved him right to the extent that he can now claim that Wales has hit targets and the fact that the Welsh Minister in the UK Government seems to be wanting to claim some of the credit for Wales hitting their targets (funny how he was nowhere to be seen or heard when the flak was flying) tells you that this story is correct;-

Therefore, as someone who was very critical of Drakeford and the WAG in the early stages of the vaccine roll out, here I am eating humble pie as I said I would if the the targets were hit - I trust those who were being so critical early in the New Year on here amid claims that the roll out was solely the responsibility of the WAG and nothing to do with the UK Government will join me in doing so.
    Apologies for the wrong link, this is the one I meant it to be;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56025773

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I agree they have done well. See my comment in the vaccine thread.

Yes a great job.

Falling infection rates as well.

Lets hope the reopening is managed well in the coming months.

I too was critical of Drakeford earlier on when he made that famous remark about slowing down the vaccination programme because he didn't want the vaccinators sitting around idle. However I was pleased to note that there was no hint of triumphalism from him today about the fact that Wales were ahead of the other three UK nations in terms of the vaccine roll-out. Indeed he played it down completely, unlike the Scottish first minister who constantly brags about how well her country is doing compared to the others.

International

Whlist I understand that the WG is being cautious for all the right reasons I do question the statement by Drakeford that other than the youngest school children going back we should expect nothing from the review on Friday.
    What was more disturbing was his commnet that nothing else will happen until the next 3 week review on 12 March. history tells us once he has said that there is little hope of it changing. But I believe that once the benefits of the vaccine really start to kick in and hospitalisations and deaths begine to fall, that things could change quite rapidly. In that case there may be scope to change things at shorter notice and the prosepct of him sitting on his hands whilst the whole of england opens up quite safely is not a pleasant one.
    If he keeps doing it incrementally by 3 week bites we may not see hospitality opening until JUne, and it will destroy the tourist trade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Whlist I understand that the WG is being cautious for all the right reasons I do question the statement by Drakeford that other than the youngest school children going back we should expect nothing from the review on Friday.
    What was more disturbing was his commnet that nothing else will happen until the next 3 week review on 12 March. history tells us once he has said that there is little hope of it changing. But I believe that once the benefits of the vaccine really start to kick in and hospitalisations and deaths begine to fall, that things could change quite rapidly. In that case there may be scope to change things at shorter notice and the prosepct of him sitting on his hands whilst the whole of england opens up quite safely is not a pleasant one.
    If he keeps doing it incrementally by 3 week bites we may not see hospitality opening until JUne, and it will destroy the tourist trade as well.
    If things start to change quickly I imagine he'll scrap the 3 week updates

What makes you think the whole as England is opening up?

I very much doubt they will open before us.

I think we will likely open along the same timescale. Though with our lower rates theres an argument we could open earlier.

Hospitality around May for both I reckon with shops and tourism a few weeks before.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What makes you think the whole as England is opening up?

I very much doubt they will open before us.

I think we will likely open along the same timescale. Though with our lower rates theres an argument we could open earlier.

Hospitality around May for both I reckon with shops and tourism a few weeks before.
    I don't particularly think they will but I do believe that once he says every three weeks it will be hard to get him to change his stance, and as I suggested things may move more quickly one the vaccine begins to kick in for people 65 and over. Too rigid a process in either direction is not always a good thing.

Makes sense, it won't be until then that we know how this initial schools opening has gone, to move much before then risks peoples lives.

International

Makes sense, it won't be until then that we know how this initial schools opening has gone, to move much before then risks peoples lives.
    Yes, but I honestly don't think the kids going back to school will make a huge difference at all, certainly not a negative one, unless of course it frees their parents to go back to work and get the virus.

Yes, but I honestly don't think the kids going back to school will make a huge difference at all, certainly not a negative one, unless of course it frees their parents to go back to work and get the virus.
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer they wait and see the impact on the number of cases, rather than going on what Xsnaggle off of CCMB thinks will happen.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd prefer they wait and see the impact on the number of cases, rather than going on what Xsnaggle off of CCMB thinks will happen.
    That is until its revealed that xsnaggle is actually Mark Drakeford

He can't reply at the moment, as he's busy driving around South Wales, reporting lockdown breakers

International

There is a surprise. It is just what I think, as stated, it isn't a government view,
    Although there was something yesterday that did say numbers in school were driven by the external virus level and were not a net contributor to external levels. In other words, schools and the children in them are more sinned against than sinning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56072460