+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55362433

That graph is scary. Why is Wales so much higher?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

The chart showing the worst council areas here has seven Welsh areas in the top ten in the U.K.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-uk-map

Yet, the latest ONS figures show the R in Wales is below many regions in England and that in England one in one hundred and fifteen people has Covid, in Scotland it's one in one hundred and twenty five, while in Wales and Northern Ireland, who are both going into lockdown just after Christmas, its one in one hundred and seventy five and one in two hundred and thirty five respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

My guess would be a mixture of:

- Wales has some very rural areas but most of the population lives close together and we're almost on top of each other in some places. Likewise, areas where different generations are living in the same home, or near enough.

- Greater distrust of experts, media and politicians so fewer people following the guidance. Greater apathy so not caring about the rules and desire for an authoritarian leader - we have one across the bridge selling the possibility of it being more positive than it is and encouraging people to take risks.

- The firebreak was signed up to reluctantly and by people who believed they could act however they wanted after 2 weeks. (It would have been political suicide to have extended it but probably the right thing to do).

- Harsher restrictions has seen people rebelling in ways they might not have if they could still go bowling etc.

Good information (http://www.freshair.wales/) is out there but there are also high profile ex-international rugby players (and the status that brings) saying their rights are being infringed by being asked to wear a mask and they're not going to do it anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The chart showing the worst council areas here has seven Welsh areas in the top ten in the U.K.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-uk-map

Yet, the latest ONS figures show the R in Wales is below many regions in England and that in England one in one hundred and fifteen people has Covid, in Scotland it's one in one hundred and twenty five, while in Wales and Northern Ireland, who are both going into lockdown just after Christmas, its one in one hundred and seventy five and one in two hundred and thirty five respectively.
    Here's the link I took the info in the last paragraph above from.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55365294

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, the reluctance to wear masks in America is purely down to a feeling that personal freedoms are being infringed or is there more to it than that?
    From what I observe with the more red-necked citizens of the USA, I suspect the personal freedoms objection is the main one with the "masks are ineffective anyway" argument a lesser one (which may actually just be a smoke screen to the former).

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The calculator states there are at least 6m in front of me to be vaccinated by the end of February. By that time there won't be enough available vaccines unless the Oxford vaccine comes on stream.
    Same for me - I'm 52 but being on the shielding list has shunted me up the queue.

The calculator states there are at least 6m in front of me to be vaccinated by the end of February. By that time there won't be enough available vaccines unless the Oxford vaccine comes on stream.
    The calculator is based on 1m injections a week being given. First week 140,000 got it

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The calculator is based on 1m injections a week being given. First week 140,000 got it
    Isn't that because there is only enough of the Pfizer vaccine to vaccinate 400000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    And?

You dont think the current vaccination capacity is anywhere near what it will be when more are available.

The Telegraph talks of "alarming" news on the new Covid variant - unfortunately, all bar the headline is behind a paywall, so I've no more info than that, but, presumably, it's along the lines of this;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...w-covid-strain

Good news is that, as refered to above, the Telegraph is reporting that the Oxford vaccine will be approved just after Christmas.

20 million doses, easier to rollout. Let’s get it on

Has anyone else, like me, received a letter this week from the NHS in respect of taking part in random Covid testing? Kit arrives by post and gets collected by courier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not impressed with my kids school at all.
    The teachers have basically engineered a situation where they can have home schooling for the last week so that none of them have to isolate over christmas, but the last week of school has been a complete joke.
    the teachers basically printed off a couple of xmas themed wordsearches and colouring in sheets and let them get on with it - both my kids 3 school years apart got given the same sheets.
    They basically couldn't be arsed for the last week, and now they'll have a longer Christmas break as well.
    None of the teachers I know want to be home.

They all hate doing the online work as they have received little or no training on how to do it and often the tech is crap.

As far as I have heard they'd all rather be in school teaching. ( or this week doing concerts etc)

Does the Oxford or Pfizer vaccine reduce transmission? I am ****ing sick of staying in for like 9/10 months and if it reduces transmission, would that mean it would be safer to go out by Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Does the Oxford or Pfizer vaccine reduce transmission? I am ****ing sick of staying in for like 9/10 months and if it reduces transmission, would that mean it would be safer to go out by Spring?
    I seem to remember the Pfizer vaccine stops you from getting very ill but doesn't necessarily reduce transmission

Pfizer CEO "not certain" it will stop transmission: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...nsmission.html

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Has anyone else, like me, received a letter this week from the NHS in respect of taking part in random Covid testing? Kit arrives by post and gets collected by courier.
    A friend of mine had one about 2 months ago and my mother in law 2 weeks ago - but she s now in a care home.

Boris just introduced Tier 4 for areas in England.

Tier 4 areas cannot mix at Christmas and in other areas Christmas bubbles reduced to 1 day

Over 3,000 new cases in Wales today while we wait about to celebrate something which occurs right in the middle of the time when the virus will thrive.

Boris scoffed at Keir on Wednesday about cancelling Christmas. Now 3 days later this.

Drakeford will follow I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    A friend of mine had one about 2 months ago and my mother in law 2 weeks ago - but she s now in a care home.
    Both my wife and I participated in a COVID test survey a few months ago. I did the test that involved taking a swab from the back of the throat and a nasal swab. The kit arrived by post and was collected by a courier. The arrangements worked well.

My wife did the test that involved pricking the finger and placing blood on a card, getting the result from that and sending the picture to the government's researchers which I think involved Imperial College. It was a while ago so can't remember the precise details.

There was a protest by about 200 people in Oxford Street today lots of quite straight older folk, there must have been 500 old bill some in full riot gear dispersing them, I doubt it will make the news or papers but I am starting to become sceptical.

Both my wife and I participated in a COVID test survey a few months ago. I did the test that involved taking a swab from the back of the throat and a nasal swab. The kit arrived by post and was collected by a courier. The arrangements worked well.

My wife did the test that involved pricking the finger and placing blood on a card, getting the result from that and sending the picture to the government's researchers which I think involved Imperial College. It was a while ago so can't remember the precise details.
    The one my friend is involved in was initially weekly tests which has now moved to monthly. The whole household has them. Currently its the covid test but will move to the anti body test.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Boris scoffed at Keir on Wednesday about cancelling Christmas. Now 3 days later this.

Drakeford will follow I think.
    Surely you must see that it would be irresponsible for any government not to act in the light of changing situation. Apparently the figures have got very much worse in the last 24 hours due to the new mutation which increases transmission rate by 70% so the government had no choice but to act.

I hope Drakeford does follow suit but he will want to do things his way and follow his usual anything but England strategy.

I see Sturgeon has a press conference at 5.30pm today so a Welsh one is inevitable.

I agree he should act.

If there was 4 weeks on from Wednesdays performance in Parliament and not days id have more sympathy.