Re: Coronavirus update

Wales to go into lockdown tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Wales to go into lockdown tonight
    Merry ****ing Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55379237

The whole of Wales will be placed under lockdown from midnight with Christmas plans cancelled for all but one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Surely you must see that it would be irresponsible for any government not to act in the light of changing situation. Apparently the figures have got very much worse in the last 24 hours due to the new mutation which increases transmission rate by 70% so the government had no choice but to act.

I hope Drakeford does follow suit but he will want to do things his way and follow his usual anything but England strategy.

I see Sturgeon has a press conference at 5.30pm today so a Welsh one is inevitable.
    Personally Im very sceptical about this new mutation that they are pedalling, seems very convenient, where I live all the rich have left town, the private schools have now closed and the fauntleroys have all headed to the Cotswolds or their mansions in Monaco, I'll bet you that by the time the private schools open in mid January, London will be eased down a tier or two and Boris will be spouting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Personally Im very sceptical about this new mutation that they are pedalling, seems very convenient, where I live all the rich have left town, the private schools have now closed and the fauntleroys have all headed to the Cotswolds or their mansions in Monaco, I'll bet you that by the time the private schools open in mid January, London will be eased down a tier or two and Boris will be spouting off.
    Yeah it is clearly being used as cover for them making a complete cockup of everything again, they have known about it for months.

Well that is my plan to go and live with my sister for a month or two in the highlands shot to pieces as I live in tier 4. Would have been a nice change of pace and good for mental health but nevermind. At least everyone else got their day out shopping in Oxford Street.

It was the silver bullet they've been waiting for. As you say, the pheasant and trimmings will be scoffed down by the toffs [ie politicians] behind closed doors while the little people stay at home on their own, heads bowed cowering in fear..

The illness is real and it seems to be spreading more.

I guess our only way out is a vaccine. They are apparently, going to approve the Oxford one a few days after Xmas (see a post I made in the previous page that links to a Telegraph article) and if they give the half dose first, then that vaccine alone would be enough for the whole UK population (based on the amounts we have ordered). If it is standard dose first, then we will have enough vaccines, as the government have ordered Pfizer and Moderna ones. But with this second paragraph, I am a random guy on an MB so some nuances will be missed but back to the point, the virus mutation seems real to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55379237

The whole of Wales will be placed under lockdown from midnight with Christmas plans cancelled for all but one day.
    I can understand areas like Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and the valleys going into lockdown due to their high population densities but how can Drakeford possibly justify locking down in rural counties in North, West and Mid Wales where transmission rates are actually lower than parts of England that are in tier one and two. Once again he has panicked to cover his own backside and basically pushed the whole of the Welsh economy down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I can understand areas like Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and the valleys going into lockdown due to their high population densities but how can Drakeford possibly justify locking down in rural counties in North, West and Mid Wales where transmission rates are actually lower than parts of England that are in tier one and two. Once again he has panicked to cover his own backside and basically pushed the whole of the Welsh economy down the drain.
    So the new strain and the virus doesnt pick up and spread in those areas?

Both my wife and I participated in a COVID test survey a few months ago. I did the test that involved taking a swab from the back of the throat and a nasal swab. The kit arrived by post and was collected by a courier. The arrangements worked well.

My wife did the test that involved pricking the finger
    and placing blood on a card, getting the result from that and sending the picture to the government's researchers which I think involved Imperial College. It was a while ago so can't remember the precise details.
    Better than the other way around perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    A friend of mine had one about 2 months ago and my mother in law 2 weeks ago - but she s now in a care home.
    Well I hope to keep posting if the same thing happens to me....

Surely you must see that it would be irresponsible for any government not to act in the light of changing situation. Apparently the figures have got very much worse in the last 24 hours due to the new mutation which increases transmission rate by 70% so the government had no choice but to act.

I hope Drakeford does follow suit but he will want to do things his way and follow his usual anything but England strategy.

I see Sturgeon has a press conference at 5.30pm today so a Welsh one is inevitable.
    They couldn’t ignore it. The science changed so they had to combat it. What would keir done? Nothing different that’s for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So the new strain and the virus doesnt pick up and spread in those areas?
    Carmarthen is bad too

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

I guess our only way out is a vaccine. They are apparently, going to approve the Oxford one a few days after Xmas (see a post I made in the previous page that links to a Telegraph article) and if they give the half dose first, then that vaccine alone would be enough for the whole UK population (based on the amounts we have ordered). If it is standard dose first, then we will have enough vaccines, as the government have ordered Pfizer and Moderna ones. But with this second paragraph, I am a random guy on an MB so some nuances will be missed but back to the point, the virus mutation seems real to me.
    Just read the article, sounds optimistic!

Don't trust this shower to actually come through on their promises mind

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Just read the article, sounds optimistic!

Don't trust this shower to actually come through on their promises mind
    Yeah, it seems to be a leak so take it with a pinch of salt. However the MHRA are not the Tory party. Also considering that the Pfizer vaccine was approved soon after submission, this Oxford one will probably be approved soon, assuming the approval processes are the same

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They couldn’t ignore it. The science changed so they had to combat it. What would keir done? Nothing different that’s for sure
    They did ignore it for months, it was discovered in September. I don't know if you saw PMQs this week but up until then at least Boris was still accusing Starmer of trying to steal Christmas because he was in favour of further restrictions.

Just to make another point, about 'the science'. Norwich had a crowd today, East of England has the highest R and Norfolk has the highest incidence of the new strain. It isn't going into tier 4, whilst lots of relatively low case areas are. Shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    More like he's prioritizing lives over livelihoods and he's right to do so. This argument about tiered management is a nonsense; the virus can and will quickly infect all regions given a chance: it doesn't respect geographical boundaries. Well done to Drakeford, he's executing his responsibility manfully unlike the big baby in London trying to keep everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

I know the illness is real I posted a few months back how it ripped through the village where I grew up and 3 out of 4 men who apparently caught it in the local boozer died from it. I just don’t like the way the government is going about the locking down in London it does feel like an us and them. One thing I will say is if it’s mutating like they say then don’t count too much on a vaccine.

I know the illness is real I posted a few months back how it ripped through the village where I grew up and 3 out of 4 men who apparently caught it in the local boozer died from it. I just don’t like the way the government is going about the locking down in London it does feel like an us and them. One thing I will say is if it’s mutating like they say then don’t count too much on a vaccine.
    They always mutate. It has 24 times since it emerged in China. Fortunately coronavirus are far more stable than things like flu and others around.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They always mutate. It has 24 times since it emerged in China. Fortunately coronavirus are far more stable than things like flu and others around.
    That’s why I said I’m sceptical with what is being put out, Boris got these scientists in his pocket they’ll bend the stats to suit the narrative.

London has now had four strategies in four weeks. Earlier in the week schools in London were being threatened with legal action if they wanted to close early.

Saving Christmas was all about saving Christmas shopping, wasn't it? Again, bad communication, again, late decisions.

Regarding communication, different approaches for different nations within the UK is not confusing if we're allowed for more than 30 seconds to discuss what's going on in Wales, Scotland, NI.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - borrowing a Scottish approach for this winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    London has now had four strategies in four weeks.
    How many strategies has Cardiff had during the same period? Not a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know the answer, but it feels like we've had several.