+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Just announced on LBC.............the Cardiff and Vale Health Board ran out of critical care beds on the weekend. Is that to do with the closure or semi closure of the Nightingale Hospital at the Millenium Stadium before the new Nightingale at the Heath is completed or something else?
    I very much doubt it. It was said there were not many critical care beds a couple of days
    ago with the main issue being not enough staff to manage the beds. So many off isolating etc.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see that the new variant was first noticed in September and so I think it's reasonable to assume that the four U.K. Governments have been aware of it for weeks if not months, so they could well have known that there may be something like what was revealed in those minutes on the way, but it was only confirmed on Friday and so I wonder if the delay in announcing new lockdowns, which I was critical of, could be partly down to a sense of "let's wait and see what the research into the variant comes up with before deciding"?
    From the Times’ Science Editor today: “There are two errors you can make in a pandemic. The first is to overact on the basis of uncertain evidence. The second is to wait for the best evidence, make a decision, and find out it’s too late.
    It is always better to make the first mistake than the second because if this mutation really does what scientists fear, then the situation is desperate.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I very much doubt it. It was said there were not many critical care beds a couple of days
    ago with the main issue being not enough staff to manage the beds. So many off isolating etc.
    Think there is 60 in the Heath, with at least 20 free last week

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Something else.
    It's partly due to staff availability. Too many staff are off sick or isolating, so the number of available beds has been reduced (according to LBC twitter).
    I didnt think the Nightingale hospitals were critical care, but happy to be corrected.
    Staff illness is a real problem. In one hospital near me (in South West England) there are 920 staff on the sick. That is why NHS workers should have been in the top priority for receiving the vaccine. My son is in the second tranche in England but am unsure whether the English arrangements apply in Wales.

Did they ever have enough staff and im talking throughout the UK to staff these Nightingale Hospitals. Looked a brilliant idea and got up really quickly.

With all these staff shortages how did they expect all these hospitals to be staffed if all the beds were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Think there is 60 in the Heath, with at least 20 free last week
    Theyve only enough staff to cover 41 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Did they ever have enough staff and im talking throughout the UK to staff these Nightingale Hospitals. Looked a brilliant idea and got up really quickly.

With all these staff shortages how did they expect all these hospitals to be staffed if all the beds were needed.
    They can’t. Think this is why they are vaccinating front line nurses etc first now. They haven’t even started on general public yet I think

They can’t. Think this is why they are vaccinating front line nurses etc first now. They haven’t even started on general public yet I think
    I think they have started on care home residents and care home staff.

My daughter can get one if she goes to the centre in Splott but she doesn't want to take the chance ( given than theyds 9 staff who tested positive earlier in the month.

She will wait until they come round to the home.

Touch wood the nursing home she works with have been really strict and have had very few positive tests with either staff or visitors

Nothing to do with politics - it wouldn't matter who was 'in charge', but I heard and read this earlier :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55403944

Isn't it the elected Government to make/announce decisions like this, not doctors ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Nothing to do with politics - it wouldn't matter who was 'in charge', but I heard and read this earlier :

Isn't it the elected Government to make/announce decisions like this, not doctors ?
    So at a Downing Street briefing, he should not answer any questions because he's not in the government.

Right.

Perhaps Vallance has decided to bring a bit of realism to the situation in contrast to Bungle who has continuously masked over any issues with a joke and wishful thinking.

Bungle is now saying "we will have a very different in Easter..."

Didnt he say that before last Easter?

Perhaps he means we'll have more dead people?

He hasn't announced a decision, he has given a qualified statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Perhaps Vallance has decided to bring a bit of realism to the situation in contrast to Bungle who has continuously masked over any issues with a joke and wishful thinking.

Bungle is now saying "we will have a very different in Easter..."

Didnt he say that before last Easter?

Perhaps he means we'll have more dead people?
    He was asked in yesterday’s briefing why he keeps on over promising and under delivering. As it creates confusion and undermines public confidence. His reply was that things will look very different at Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    He was asked in yesterday’s briefing why he keeps on over promising and under delivering. As it creates confusion and undermines public confidence. His reply was that things will look very different at Easter.
    Probably because he knows the Oxford vaccine is about to get approved and then mass roll out can begin without the logistical nightmare of the current one.

Probably because he knows the Oxford vaccine is about to get approved and then mass roll out can begin without the logistical nightmare of the current one.
    If so, makes you wonder why he told us in March that Covid-19 will be "sent packing in 12 weeks."

In May, that the antibody virus will be "a game changer."

September was the month everything would be normal at Christmas due to 'Moonshot'.

If he's reading briefing notes now, it'll make a refreshing change.

I got him down as a narcissist who likes the sound of his own voice.

He's right, but it might be Easter 2022.

My point was that wasn’t the question. But tbh I’ve given up hope of receiving a considered and thoughtful reply from him during these briefings. He says his bit then tries to get through the rest unscathed by offering mostly disingenuous, irrelevant and often incoherent replies.

This just appeared on my Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    If so, makes you wonder why he told us in March that Covid-19 will be "sent packing in 12 weeks."

In May, that the antibody virus will be "a game changer."

September was the month everything would be normal at Christmas due to 'Moonshot'.

If he's reading briefing notes now, it'll make a refreshing change.

I got him down as a narcissist who likes the sound of his own voice.
    Sent packing in 12 weeks? Didn’t see that and his buddy, whitty, wouldn’t have sanctioned that. Normally the voice of doom but a realist at least so when he says something I tend to believe him. Often says covid will be around for years now but we will soon suppress it like the flu and other things we need a jab for.

Sent packing in 12 weeks? Didn’t see that and his buddy, whitty, wouldn’t have sanctioned that. Normally the voice of doom but a realist at least so when he says something I tend to believe him. Often says covid will be around for years now but we will soon suppress it like the flu and other things we need a jab for.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/202...us-in-12-weeks

This just appeared on my Twitter feed.

Not surprisingly, look at the areas where we have the biggest issues. My views on Drakeford have actually completely changed, what a job, almost impossible.

You meant bo jo did you?I thought you meant Vallance? Bo would say anything, he’s a politician. He was almost right mind, we did kick it into touch by June, we just let it come back again. We should have closed our borders for non essential travel I think.

You meant bo jo did you?I thought you meant Vallance? Bo would say anything, he’s a politician..
    Think you’re letting him off the hook rather easy there.

Here’s another politician. Sweden’s PM admits the country got its coronavirus strategy wrong: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...-2020-12%3famp

Think you’re letting him off the hook rather easy there.

Here’s another politician. Sweden’s PM admits the country got its coronavirus strategy wrong: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...-2020-12%3famp
    When the UK needed a PM who was responsible, empathetic and accountable, we got a flip flopping, narcissist who resembles a Jim Davidson tribute act.

Probably the same all over the country.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...efore-19504652