+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    ONS estimating that one in sixty had Covid in Wales last week - surely those figures suggest the new variant is prevalent in this country already?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55437183
    Just be reading about the latest ONS data which states that the new variant is not dominant in Wales representing about 10% of cases. Drakeford makes out the the new variant is the problem in Wales, but looks like it's not

And just imagine what it would have been like if the WAG had been as lax as Johnson has been throughout the year.
    That's an extraordinary comment given the Welsh Government's early cessation of the firebreak and the appalling COVID figures in Wales which are the worst in the UK. Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies Wales have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than England. While Wales had their firebreak at the right time it ended far too early and in a far to lax manner allowing a virtual free for all.

Let's see how the WAG deal with the vaccination programme. I can't say whether England has been more lax than Wales but if the post below from Lisvane Blue is correct things don't seem to be going too well at the moment despite the availability of the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That's an extraordinary comment given the Welsh Government's early cessation of the firebreak and the appalling COVID figures in Wales which are the worst in the UK. Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies Wales have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than England. While Wales had their firebreak at the right time it ended far too early and in a far to lax manner allowing a virtual free for all.

Let's see how the WAG deal with the vaccination programme. I can't say whether England has been more lax than Wales but if the post below from Lisvane Blue is correct things don't seem to be going too well at the moment despite the availability of the vaccine.
    Apologies. I was too late to edit the above post. The second sentence should read "Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies England have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than Wales".

So far vaccinated less than anywhere else in the uk, not sure if anyone who isn’t front line or in a care home has been done yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So far vaccinated less than anywhere else in the uk, not sure if anyone who isn’t front line or in a care home has been done yet.....
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...covid-19526106

Someone has to have the lowest rate but not substantially lower.

Gethin and Drakeford need to explain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Create a panic to control the people? The new variant might not really be here so much, seemed a bit odd anyway, but the virus was definitely on the up a week or two ago....

I agree. Why is it so difficult to transport the Pfizer jab to care homes? The majority of care homes are likely to be near the major populations, the large towns and cities. I understand that Wales distributed the vaccine equally between the Health Authorities, so the rural areas got the same amount as the areas with dense populations. Powys having the same amount as Cardiff and Vale when there isn't even a general hospital in Powys seems ill thought out.

No doubt at least one of duo will be on TV this week telling us again that the new variant is the cause of our high infection rates,( not true), that it is virulent (not true) and that the most important thing is to stay at home to save lives ( while we think about how to protect the vulnerable with the vaccine)

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I agree. Why is it so difficult to transport the Pfizer jab to care homes? The majority of care homes are likely to be near the major populations, the large towns and cities. I understand that Wales distributed the vaccine equally between the Health Authorities, so the rural areas got the same amount as the areas with dense populations. Powys having the same amount as Cardiff and Vale when there isn't even a general hospital in Powys seems ill thought out.

No doubt at least one of duo will be on TV this week telling us again that the new variant is the cause of our high infection rates,( not true), that it is virulent (not true) and that the most important thing is to stay at home to save lives ( while we think about how to protect the vulnerable with the vaccine)
    If and its a big if it really is a big issue getting this vaccine into Care Homes with the Oxford vaccine being on the horizon then why not vaccinate as many other people in vulnerable groups. Say the over 80s those with underlying health issues. Even expand to over 75s.

Then go back to plan A and go to the Care Homes when the Oxford comes out.

We should be vaccinating as quickly as possible.

So far im only aware of 1 person I know who has had a jab. A mate of mine who is a Social Worker.( he has been helping in care homes due to staff shortages)

Have you got any evidence to say that the vaccine is being distributed in rural areas at the same quantity to those areas with more dense populations? That doesn't make much sense to me, i'd like to see the breakdown if you've got it, thanks.

I suppose it'll all be in the timings. I've no doubt that Englands numbers will look horrific in a week or two.

Wales did well just after the firebreak but probably all can agree we should have stayed in it for considerably longer, but there's a balance to strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Have you got any evidence to say that the vaccine is being distributed in rural areas at the same quantity to those areas with more dense populations? That doesn't make much sense to me, i'd like to see the breakdown if you've got it, thanks.
    Looks like it depends on the number of priority cases in each area. Swansea had more than the whole of N Wales.

http://www.deeside.com/north-wales-sees-12-of-first-vaccinations-in-wales/

Cheers Hilts. So not like LB was trying to make out, unless he know's different.

Apologies. I was too late to edit the above post. The second sentence should read "Although your post refers to "throughout the year" the only statistics that matter are the number of COVID cases and the number of deaths and in this respect the figures in Wales contradict your opinion which implies England have handled the pandemic in a less lax way than Wales".
    I took care to say throughout the year whereas you appear to be concentrating solely on the period since the firebreak which I concede the WAG have not handled well and it seems they are not making a great job of rolling out the vaccine. However, there has been a bit of a trend towards saying that Johnson and co are somehow responsible for England only and this is not true, they are the UK Government, therefore, despite the powers the WAG has with regard to healthcare in Wales, it's hardly as if they have full independence where Covid policy is concerned.

I took care to say throughout the year whereas you appear to be concentrating solely on the period since the firebreak which I concede the WAG have not handled well and it seems they are not making a great job of rolling out the vaccine. However, there has been a bit of a trend towards saying that Johnson and co are somehow responsible for England only and this is not true, they are the UK Government, therefore, despite the powers the WAG has with regard to healthcare in Wales, it's hardly as if they have full independence where Covid policy is concerned.
    Of course they have full independence for healthcare.including Covid policy. If they choose to work with the other home nations on certain initiatives that's fine, but it's WAG decision to do that.

Deliberately I noted that you said "throughout the year". And throughout the year includes the period post firebreak. The issue appears to be that the WAGs powers have not been exercised well and I just don't see how you can possibly say that England has been more lax than Wales when that is not borne out by the statistics.
    The WAG have powers to determine whether and when their firebreaks/lockdowns begin and end as well as vaccine distribution and neither have these jobs have been done well. Of course the figures in England could end up as bad as Wales but they are not there yet. But that is the point, comparisons between the two countries cannot be made until comparable data is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cheers Hilts. So not like LB was trying to make out, unless he know's different.
    I think the article refers to the number of jabs given between 8-16 December for each Health Board, not the number of vaccines handed out to each. I do note later that WAG says it's distributed by relative size of the priority population in each health board. So those with the most care homes and over 80s should have got the most. That being the case why aren't jabs being given in care homes to any extent.
    My original comment that each authority got equal share came from what I believe Mark Drakeford said on TV a few weeks ago. When I have time I'll try to check it out on the WG website

What statistics?

Of course they have full independence for healthcare.including Covid policy. If they choose to work with the other home nations on certain initiatives that's fine, but it's WAG decision to do that.
    When the WAG wanted to have a Firebreak originally,, the UK Government would not extend the furlough scheme to cover those in this country who would be losing out with the second lockdown. That situation only changed when the number of new cases started rising rapidly in other parts of the UK and the Governemnt had to go back on it's original decision to stick with their tier system - the WAG may have the decision making power in theory, but that is an example where, essentially, the UK Government makes the decisions in real life.

Deliberately I noted that you said "throughout the year". And throughout the year includes the period post firebreak. The issue appears to be that the WAGs powers have not been exercised well and I just don't see how you can possibly say that England has been more lax than Wales when that is not borne out by the statistics.
    The WAG have powers to determine whether and when their firebreaks/lockdowns begin and end as well as vaccine distribution and neither have these jobs have been done well. Of course the figures in England could end up as bad as Wales but they are not there yet. But that is the point, comparisons between the two countries cannot be made until comparable data is available.
    Apologies, my "what statistics?" question clearly should have been addressed to this message not my own .

Apologies, my "what statistics?" question clearly should have been addressed to this message not my own .
    Given that you post the cases every day I think you can find out for yourself. If you are saying the figures in Wales aren't bad and are equal or better than anywhere else please show me the figures. Do you really believe the recent stats for example produced by the WHO are wrong?

Given that you post the cases every day I think you can find out for yourself. If you are saying the figures in Wales aren't bad and are equal or better than anywhere else please show me the figures. Do you really believe the recent stats for example produced by the WHO are wrong?
    As I’ve said a few times, I made a point of basing what I said on the whole of the period of the virus, whereas you now seem to have proved that you’re concentrating on the weeks since the Firebreak ended, so, really, we aren’t comparing like for like. From my perspective, I’ve not heard of Drakeford not bothering to turn up for meetings on COVID, I didn’t hear about him taking most of February off on holiday, he didn’t go around shaking peoples hands against scientific advice, he didn’t take too long imposing the first lockdown, because at the time no one thought it was his decision to make. I’ll leave it there for now, although I could go on a lot longer. Johnson and his Government have been lax over a period of months, unfortunately, Drakeford and the WAG have started following suit for a period of weeks and the figures reflect that.

As I’ve said a few times, I made a point of basing what I said on the whole of the period of the virus, whereas you now seem to have proved that you’re concentrating on the weeks since the Firebreak ended, so, really, we aren’t comparing like for like. From my perspective, I’ve not heard of Drakeford not bothering to turn up for meetings on COVID, I didn’t hear about him taking most of February off on holiday, he didn’t go around shaking peoples hands against scientific advice, he didn’t take too long imposing the first lockdown, because at the time no one thought it was his decision to make. I’ll leave it there for now, although I could go on a lot longer. Johnson and his Government have been lax over a period of months, unfortunately, Drakeford and the WAG have started following suit for a period of weeks and the figures reflect that.
    I didn't want to show you the attached press article as any posts from the Daily Mail are usually rubbished. But this article contains information which covers the position long before the firebreak. Of course you are entitled to your opinion that pre firebreak the position in Wales was OK but I am also entitled to mine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-crisis.html

Your postings are very biased and before you ask I was once a member of the Labour Party for many years as I have explained previously in my many exchanges with SLUDGE. Politics in Wales needs a decent opposition and sadly there isn't one and probably never will while the bias is so much in favour of one Party.

Re the opposition that Paul Davies appears worse than RT and thats saying something.