+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

40,000 vaccines allocated to Wales from next week;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55496058

The downward trend continues in new cases, but an awful deaths figure to go alongside nearly a thousand in the UK yesterday;-

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

Intensive care doctor tells it like it is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55479018

Powerful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Intensive care doctor tells it like it is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55479018

Powerful stuff.
    You're alright mate; I get my news from ex-rugby players, right-wing radio hosts and conspiracy theorists who are going to walk away without personal consequence if their ideas turn out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You're alright mate; I get my news from ex-rugby players, right-wing radio hosts and conspiracy theorists who are going to walk away without personal consequence if their ideas turn out to be wrong.
    Who's this ex rugby player you keep on mentioning?

As for what the doctor said, it needs a wider audience than it would have probably got on Radio 5 this morning - hopefully, it's getting plenty of listens on social media.

???

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

As for what the doctor said, it needs a wider audience than it would have probably got on Radio 5 this morning - hopefully, it's getting plenty of listens on social media.
    Yes, disappointing that it wasn't mentioned on the BBC main news at 1.00pm. Should be compulsory listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes, disappointing that it wasn't mentioned on the BBC main news at 1.00pm. Should be compulsory listening!
    Pleased to see it on the main BBC News website

My mother in law is in a Care Home.

Been told today shes having the Pfizer vaccine next week.

Bit strange as i thought there was a delay due to the logistics and now the Oxford is available. At least the home is getting done though and hopefully they are doing other places in the area as well.

Wonder how long it will take to get the 1.5 million people 50+ or with underlying conditions vaccinated? They hope to do that many a week in England dont they? But this is Wales.....

Ian Gough.

Regarding the pfizer vaccines, can anyone explain what it meant by this: "The Pfizer and BioNTech covid-19 vaccine may provide some early protection, starting 12 days after the first dose, the peer reviewed results of a phase III trial have found.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine,1 found that vaccine efficacy between the first and second doses was 52% (95% credible interval 29.5% to 68.4%)."

(https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826 posting source because I don't know if there is more up-to-date information).

It's obviously an incredibly difficult decision to make regarding how to roll-out vaccines with speed of highest importance for vulnerable people, and some protection much better than none at all.

Ian Gough.

Regarding the pfizer vaccines, can anyone explain what it meant by this: "The Pfizer and BioNTech covid-19 vaccine may provide some early protection, starting 12 days after the first dose, the peer reviewed results of a phase III trial have found.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine,1 found that vaccine efficacy between the first and second doses was 52% (95% credible interval 29.5% to 68.4%)."

(https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826 posting source because I don't know if there is more up-to-date information).

It's obviously an incredibly difficult decision to make regarding how to roll-out vaccines with speed of highest importance for vulnerable people, and some protection much better than none at all.
    Not quite sure what those stats refer too, I thought it was 91% after the first jab, hence Tony Bliar saying why bother with 2nd jab as it’s only another 4%? Think the 2nd will give it longevity maybe? But you can wait 12 weeks so get more people done with first one asap which makes sense.

International

You don't expect him to reveal his 'sauces' do you?
    But when a doctor or whoever from some hospital or university or whatever comes on the TV or in the papers and casts doom and gloom I alwyas wonder how many the news outlet spoke to before they found one who would say what they wanted.

After all, as we know, bad news is good news for journalists.

Ian Gough.

It's saying that after the first dose 52% of people had some protection...this ranged from 29.5% to 68.4% in various trials. The second dose given within 3 weeks lifted the protection rate to 95%. Pfizer have no evidence of effectiveness using the regime the UK proposes which is the second dose within 12 weeks. Dr Chris Whitty says the first injection gives the biggest response the second dose being a booster. He is right but it's marginal...ie 52% protection first dose increasing by another 43% after the second dose.

The MHRA approved the drug based on the Pfizer data and they in turn have said that this was on a regime of a repeat dose within 3 weeks. Looks like in our panic to get this vaccination out asap they are willing to accept that up to half the people having it will not be protected until they get the second dose and there is no evidence that the second dose will be as effective given at 12 weeks compared to the Pfizer recommended regime of repeat in 3 weeks..

The above may not be relevant for the AZ vaccine as I've not looked at the data they have published or the dose regime used

In my opinion this sudden and cavalier change from UK chief medical officers without any scientific evidence risks messing up the whole bloody thing. Have any countries followed our lead....no way!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    My mother in law is in a Care Home.

Been told today shes having the Pfizer vaccine next week.

Bit strange as i thought there was a delay due to the logistics and now the Oxford is available. At least the home is getting done though and hopefully they are doing other places in the area as well.
    If you're not happy about it, you could ask the care home not to give it to her and tell them to wait for the Oxford one.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not quite sure what those stats refer too, I thought it was 91% after the first jab, hence Tony Bliar saying why bother with 2nd jab as it’s only another 4%? Think the 2nd will give it longevity maybe? But you can wait 12 weeks so get more people done with first one asap which makes sense.
    Yes I realise that the medical standards people wouldn't agree to the 12c week wait just for political reasons, so it must be a science and knowledge based decision.
    What does bother me is that if they use all the doses for first jabs then eventually they will have to stop giving first jabs for 12 weeks while all those people get their second jab. That's not science or political it is simple supply and demand

https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/st...361925632?s=19

this is a very stark difference - and northern Ireland is a fair bit lower rate than the rest of the UK.
    I wonder what the reason is ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/st...361925632?s=19

this is a very stark difference - and northern Ireland is a fair bit lower rate than the rest of the UK.
    I wonder what the reason is ?
    Probably Brexit. May as well blame it, it gets the blame for everything else. But seriously, the assumption is that the Eire figures are accurate. They may not be, or may be counted differently.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If you're not happy about it, you could ask the care home not to give it to her and tell them to wait for the Oxford one.
    I didnt say I wasnt happy with it.!

International

I didnt say I wasnt happy with it.!
    I know, just a wind up, sorry. I'm in that kind of mood

But it did read a little bit that way.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wonder how long it will take to get the 1.5 million people 50+ or with underlying conditions vaccinated? They hope to do that many a week in England dont they? But this is Wales.....
    UK has 5 million doses of the Oxford vaccine available. India has 50 million doses of the Oxford vaccine available. They ordered and distributed them in anticipation of the vaccine being approved so they could hit the ground running.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    UK has 5 million doses of the Oxford vaccine available. India has 50 million doses of the Oxford vaccine available. They ordered and distributed them in anticipation of the vaccine being approved so they could hit the ground running.
    I think thats incorrect. I think the total stockpile Oxford has is 50m doses.

I think thats incorrect. I think the total stockpile Oxford has is 50m doses.
    They have 530,000 doses available with another 500,000 due next week. There isn't a stockpile

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    They have 530,000 doses available with another 500,000 due next week. There isn't a stockpile
    The world's biggest producer of vaccines, has already stockpiled about 50 million doses, enough for 25 million people. India will be the first priority for the delivery of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, Adar Poonawalla, chief executive officer, Serum Institute of India, earlier mentioned. "The COVID-19 vaccine will be distributed initially in India, then we will look at the COVAX countries which are mainly in Africa. Our priority is India & COVAX countries," Poonawalla said.

????

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The world's biggest producer of vaccines, has already stockpiled about 50 million doses, enough for 25 million people. India will be the first priority for the delivery of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, Adar Poonawalla, chief executive officer, Serum Institute of India, earlier mentioned. "The COVID-19 vaccine will be distributed initially in India, then we will look at the COVAX countries which are mainly in Africa. Our priority is India & COVAX countries," Poonawalla said.

????
    Yhose figures could possibly be quite correct for the serum that is being manufactured in India, but as the serum for UK is appparently being manufactured in Wrexham I'll try not to worry about it too much

Just more scaremongering.

Professor Sarah Gilbert stated on Sky News a few days ago that enough of the Oxford vaccine had been manufactured to meet UK demand but all that remained was for the vaccine to be put into vials and packaged for transport.