+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    One question on that, not to you but to the people reporting these results.
    If the vaccine prevents people from getting the virus in the first place, how can they possibly know that it is more effective in preventing serious cases ? That would be the report on a possible cure I'd think.

Shirley if it works there are no cases serious or other wise and if there are cases serious or not, that means it didn't work.
    Because it’s not 100% effective some people still get ill. But those who have got ill have not needed hospital treatment.

One question on that, not to you but to the people reporting these results.
    If the vaccine prevents people from getting the virus in the first place, how can they possibly know that it is more effective in preventing serious cases ? That would be the report on a possible cure I'd think.

Shirley if it works there are no cases serious or other wise and if there are cases serious or not, that means it didn't work.
    It doesn't. A vaccine teaches your body how to deal with the virus. It cannot stop you catching it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It doesn't. A vaccine teaches your body how to deal with the virus. It cannot stop you catching it.
    I get that and accept I was being a little simplistic but it still remains that if someone who has had it then gets a severe attack of the virus it must mean that the vaccine didn't work in the first place.
    You shirley cannot say that if a person gets a severe attack after having the vaccine and then recovers that this demonstrates that it works better on people with severe cases than those with mild or no virus problems?
    That makes no sense what so ever.

I get that and accept I was being a little simplistic but it still remains that if someone who has had it then gets a severe attack of the virus it must mean that the vaccine didn't work in the first place.
    You shirley cannot say that if a person gets a severe attack after having the vaccine and then recovers that this demonstrates that it works better on people with severe cases than those with mild or no virus problems?
    No it doesnt. But havent seen that anyway.

I dont know about anyone else but dont know what your getting at.

The vaccine even if you get symptoms they are less severe less hospitalsions less death.

I think one of them has a 100 % effectiveness against death. It even may have been hospitalisation.

I have got no idea what you're getting at.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I have got no idea what you're getting at.
    Simole really. From TOBW's post:

they said that the vaccine works better on people with severe attacks.

If it works they should not be having attacks.

If they are giving it to people who are already suffering from as severe attack then they are using it as a cure not a preventative. (I'm sure they are not actually doing this)

Simole really. From TOBW's post:

they said that the vaccine works better on people with severe attacks.

If it works they should not be having attacks.

If they are giving it to people who are already suffering from as severe attack then they are using it as a cure not a preventative. (I'm sure they are not actually doing this)
    No vaccines are 100% effective at stopping everyone getting ill.

They aren't giving it to people who are already ill. They give it to people, some people still catch the virus but it stops them getting it severely.

So most people won't get covid, the ones that do still get covid won't get it bad enough to need to go to hospital.

International

No vaccines are 100% effective at stopping everyone getting ill.

They aren't giving it to people who are already ill. They give it to people, some people still catch the virus but it stops them getting it severely.

So most people won't get covid, the ones that do still get covid won't get it bad enough to need to go to hospital.
    I understand the way it works which is why Iquestioned the statement that it works "66 per cent effective (85 per cent for preventing serious cases) "
    It is the reference to serious cases I question. If it works how do they know that Mr A or Mrs B would have had serious effects?
    And if they do have serious effect than it hasn't worked.

I understand the way it works which is why Iquestioned the statement that it works "66 per cent effective (85 per cent for preventing serious cases) "
    It is the reference to serious cases I question. If it works how do they know that Mr A or Mrs B would have had serious effects?
    I don't think know, it's just 85% of people who got ill after taking the vaccine didn't get serious illness when compared to the placebo group.

They compare it to a placebo group.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They compare it to a placebo group.
    The placebo group is not relavent to the question.
    They can say that people in the olacebo group got severe syptoms, I agree. But that is not what they said.
    They said as I quoted: It is 85% effective in peventing severe symptoms. If sypmtoms are prevented how can they say that a person would, without the vaccine have had severe symptoms? It's nonsense.

They can say that people in the olacebo group got severe syptoms, I agree. But that is not what they said.
    They said as I quoted: It is 85% effective in peventing severe symptoms. If sypmtoms are prevented how can they say that a person would, without the vaccine have had severe symptoms? It's nonsense.
    85% effective compared to a placebo group. That's what the number means.

It isn't nonsense it's how it's always done

It's a statistic against the placebo group not an actual figure, that's how efficacy is calculated at least until they have psychics in the teams assessing it.

If you want to know more about it read this - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...623-4/fulltext

International

It isn't nonsense it's how it's always done

It's a statistic against the placebo group not an actual figure, that's how efficacy is calculated at least until they have psychics in the teams assessing it.

If you want to know more about it read this - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...623-4/fulltext
    I get the % figure, I understand it, it is the remark about severe symptoms that puzzles. If it works then people don't get severe symptoms and if it doesn't they do. But if it works how can they tell that a paerson would have got mild or severe symptoms? That's all.

I get the % figure, I understand it, it is the remark about severe symptoms that puzzles. If it works then people don't get severe symptoms and if it doesn't they do. But if it works how can they tell that a paerson would have got mild or severe symptoms? That's all.
    I don't think you get it.

100 people in the trial get covid. 5 are in the vaccine group, 95 are in the placebo group. So the vaccine is about 95% effective.

1-(5/95) =0.947

Repeat.for those with severe symptoms.

Vaccines aren’t 100% effective if that’s what you mean by work.

I can break it down for you if you like:

200 people in a test, 100 get there vaccine, 100 don’t.

Let’s say in the placebo group 50 people test positive for Covid while in the vaccine group 20 people do.

That means it has 60% efficacy.

Then out of the 50 people who tested positive in the placebo group 10 have severe symptoms but in the vaccine group only 2 have severe symptoms.

That means it’s 80% effective against severe Covid.

That’s what they mean. They don’t literally mean that one person would definitely have got severe symptoms, just by the efficacy of the vaccine you can extrapolate it.

NB- my %s aren’t correct

International

Vaccines aren’t 100% effective if that’s what you mean by work.

I can break it down for you if you like:

200 people in a test, 100 get there vaccine, 100 don’t.

Let’s say in the placebo group 50 people test positive for Covid while in the vaccine group 20 people do.

That means it has 60% efficacy.

Then out of the 50 people who tested positive in the placebo group 10 have severe symptoms but in the vaccine group only 2 have severe symptoms.

That means it’s 80% effective against severe Covid.

That’s what they mean. They don’t literally mean that one person would definitely have got severe symptoms, just by the efficacy of the vaccine you can extrapolate it.

NB- my %s aren’t correct
    How do you survive wit incorrect %s. It must keep you awake at night.
    Yes OK I see your point, perhaps it was just the way it was put.

More important is how do I upload pictures and gifs on here? I tried all ways but none work

Was there actually any change in the rules today from our esteemed leader?

Come on Wales! Perhaps the leadership we have isn't so bad after all.

https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/...270337541?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Come on Wales! Perhaps the leadership we have isn't so bad after all.

https://twitter.com/GillibrandPeter/...270337541?s=19
    I always have a look at the chart on this page which shows the rates per 100k for each district. Most of the time, Merthyr and RCT have been around the top, but I’m pleased to see them both in relegation trouble this week!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inations-today

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always have a look at the chart on this page which shows the rates per 100k for each district. Most of the time, Merthyr and RCT have been around the top, but I’m pleased to see them both in relegation trouble this week!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inations-today
    No wonder you've been keeping a low profile!

Seriously, it is good news all round. Touch wood, we have been lucky down here in Pembrokeshire although even here over 3000 have sadly died.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    No wonder you've been keeping a low profile!

Seriously, it is good news all round. Touch wood, we have been lucky down here in Pembrokeshire although even here over 3000 have sadly died.
    3000??

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    3000??
    I think he's a bit confused there, there have been 3000 cases in Pembrokeshire, not deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think he's a bit confused there, there have been 3000 cases in Pembrokeshire, not deaths.
    in hywel dda health board area, which is Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and ceredigion there have been 363 deaths