+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Government guidance advising against close physical contact with people not in your household was not lifted until May 17th. Pictures of Matt Hancock are from earlier that month. On May 16th, before the restrictions were lifted, Mr Hancock said this (pics of quotes inserted within twitter thread)

At a different point in the pandemic in September 2020 Mr Hancock said that people should be sticking to “established relationships”. Many millions of single people have been struggled throughout as a result of feeling they shouldn’t be mixing with other households.

In May 2020 Mr Hancock said of Professor Neil Ferguson’s affair and rule breaking (which led him to resign from Sage): “It’s extraordinary. I don’t understand...I think the social distancing rules are very important and people should follow them.”

Hancock has not been slow to judge others for what he saw as poor adherence to the rules in other matters. When ministers changed the tiers before Christmas Hancock lambasted people for being “totally irresponsible” for travelling before the rules changed.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...65841712926722
    If Hancock were to stay it would say something quite big about political landscape currently. If Hancock goes we might start asking who leaked it to the S*n and why now?

I still think hiring this aide seemingly without a contract being registered is fairly big part of the story which will likely be missed.

Hancock is toast. He was already on a slippery slope as Johnson's fall guy but this just about clinches it.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He’s got to walk surely
    Boris Johnson has accepted Matt Hancock's apology and 'considers the matter closed'.

You're not surprised are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Hancock is toast. He was already on a slippery slope as Johnson's fall guy but this just about clinches it.
    You’ve seen the Health Secretary’s statement, so I would point you to that,” a spokesman for the Prime Minister said after being asked by reporters why Mr Hancock remained in post.

I don’t really have anything further to add.

The health secretary set out that he accepted he had breached the social distancing guidelines and he has apologised for that.

The prime minister has accepted the Health Secretary’s apology and considers the matter closed.

Asked whether Boris Johnson had “full confidence” in Hancock, the spokesman replied: “Yes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-matt-hancock

Toast is not what it used to be!

No 10 repeatedly refuses to deny that Matt Hancock broke the law, as opposed to social distancing rules, by conducting an affair indoors when indoor mixing was illegal unless explicitly for work reasons.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/stat...02317053923329
    No doubt it's a question of when he goes but think a large number felt that anyway. I suspect he'll be moved on shortly after July 19th when lockdown easing goes ahead in England so Hancock can be described as the freedom-stealer and allowing his political party to take a step away from difficulties of covid.

Just sat through the most ridiculous lobby. The PM's spokesman refuses to engage in any questions despite the massive public interest questions facing Matt Hancock. Utter contempt for the public.

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/st...02589448867847
    Contemptuous lobby briefing in which No 10 refuses to answer qs on whether Hancock broke the law or ministerial code. Says the PM has accepted his apology and 'considers the matter closed' followed by half an hour of epic stonewalling

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/sta...02273844269057
    If deputy political editor at The S*n and political editor at the Daily Mail are this angry at a Tory government then it's only a matter of time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...line/100237834

A interesting read, the time frame of a mini outbreak in sydney at the mo

I went to see Cruela in the cinema last sunday, had 2 seats between groups, but no empty rows, i said at the time, if someone had it, a fair few would be " in contact "

First Team

There's some work in The Lancet on the effectiveness of the PB and AZ vaccines against the alpha and delta variants. To cut a long story short, two doses of the AZ vaccine after 14 days is only 60% effective (in the same way as originally reported) against the delta (Indian) variant.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...358-1/fulltext

Everyone still needs to be careful. Fully vaccinated people are getting it and have died.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You’ve seen the Health Secretary’s statement, so I would point you to that,” a spokesman for the Prime Minister said after being asked by reporters why Mr Hancock remained in post.

I don’t really have anything further to add.

The health secretary set out that he accepted he had breached the social distancing guidelines and he has apologised for that.

The prime minister has accepted the Health Secretary’s apology and considers the matter closed.

Asked whether Boris Johnson had “full confidence” in Hancock, the spokesman replied: “Yes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-matt-hancock

Toast is not what it used to be!
    He will "resign" after the weekend is my guess. For resign read sacked. However if he lasts out next week he will survive. But my initial instinct that he is toast remains.

Not seen it mentioned here

The New LAMBDA strain

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lambda-sou...rc=fp_deeplink

1st Identified in Peru last August, so its taken its time to get here

Bad news for the doom and gloomer's though

PHE said tests were ongoing and there is currently no evidence this variant causes more severe disease or renders vaccines less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not seen it mentioned here

The New LAMBDA strain

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lambda-sou...rc=fp_deeplink

1st Identified in Peru last August, so its taken its time to get here

Bad news for the doom and gloomer's though

PHE said tests were ongoing and there is currently no evidence this variant causes more severe disease or renders vaccines less effective.
    Good spot. Very comforting for the overly optimistic.

He will "resign" after the weekend is my guess. For resign read sacked. However if he lasts out next week he will survive. But my initial instinct that he is toast remains.
    He's resigned according to the BBC.

He's burnt!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He's burnt!
    He has just resigned now.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...=breaking-news

International

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    There's some work in The Lancet on the effectiveness of the PB and AZ vaccines against the alpha and delta variants. To cut a long story short, two doses of the AZ vaccine after 14 days is only 60% effective (in the same way as originally reported) against the delta (Indian) variant.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...358-1/fulltext

Everyone still needs to be careful. Fully vaccinated people are getting it and have died.
    Another review said it is 92% effective. It depends who you want belie e, the people who want people free to make their own choices cos or those who want to keep the population locked up as long as possible like flock of sheep.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Another review said it is 92% effective. It depends who you want belie e, the people who want people free to make their own choices cos or those who want to keep the population locked up as long as possible like flock of sheep.
    The Scottish study isn't opinion. I believe the science not vague BS.

Link to evidence?

Are you maybe referring to Pfizer figures seen within this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596 or have I missed another study?

"The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Indian variant two weeks after the second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

The AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective against the Indian variant, compared with 66% against the Kent variant.

Other data shows it takes longer to reach maximum effectiveness with the AstraZeneca vaccine, PHE said."

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Are you maybe referring to Pfizer figures seen within this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596 or have I missed another study?

"The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Indian variant two weeks after the second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

The AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective against the Indian variant, compared with 66% against the Kent variant.

Other data shows it takes longer to reach maximum effectiveness with the AstraZeneca vaccine, PHE said."
    I think the Astra Zeneca study referenced was that it was 92% preventative of hospitalisation after two doses should someone catch covid rather than it being 92% effective in stopping you catching it in the first place.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think the Astra Zeneca study referenced was that it was 92% preventative of hospitalisation after two doses should someone catch covid rather than it being 92% effective in stopping you catching it in the first place.
    Probably yes, chance of severe illness, but as the supposed stated aim of all these lockdowns is to protect the NHS, and that isd apparently exactly what it does then that's good enough for me

Probably yes, chance of severe illness, but as the supposed stated aim of all these lockdowns is to protect the NHS, and that isd apparently exactly what it does then that's good enough for me
    Protect the nhs….you’ve got to love that line. If only the various shambolic governments over the last 20 years had felt the same.
    With waiting lists longer than ever and no doubt many people who missed vital scans walking time bombs without knowing it will be interesting to see the state of the beloved nhs in a year or two.

Surely what is most important Is the vaccines preventing death, serious illness and hospitalization.

If the vaccines lower transmission or even viral load that’s a bonus.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Surely what is most important Is the vaccines preventing death, serious illness and hospitalization.

If the vaccines lower transmission or even viral load that’s a bonus.
    Exactly, but to Az City apparently that's just bullshit.

First Team

Exactly, but to Az City apparently that's just bullshit.
    Let's me be clear. YOU uttered the vague bullshit though it was somewhat difficult to decipher in the litany of illogicalities, typos and grammatical errors.

International

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Let's me be clear. YOU uttered the vague bullshit though it was somewhat difficult to decipher in the litany of illogicalities, typos and grammatical errors.
    Let me be clear to you, you're a dimwit who has to resort to clutching at the straw of typos etc to recover your self opinionate status. Grow a pair.
    What I said and what another poster clarified was quite apparent. You chose to believe the numbers which are depressing and people-lockdown suggestive. In reality the NHS is protected so your numbers are meaningless.
    See me next post!!!