+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 56 of 290 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

The factual data during the lockdown is still really bad though. The economy would have been best protected if something was done earlier, so now we have 2 or 3 months of this to stop loads of people dying and hope that the governments manage the economy as best they can by allowing relaxing of the restrictions when possible.

The arguments haven't changed. There have been 20,000 deaths in a month despite the lockdown, that would have been worse without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The factual data during the lockdown is still really bad though. The economy would have been best protected if something was done earlier, so now we have 2 or 3 months of this to stop loads of people dying and hope that the governments manage the economy as best they can by allowing relaxing of the restrictions when possible.

The arguments haven't changed. There have been 20,000 deaths in a month despite the lockdown, that would have been worse without it.
    It was a mistake to clear out the elderly from the hospitals and put them into care homes, as many were carrying the Covid-19 virus. I don't have the exact figure, but this group account for a large percentage of UK deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It was a mistake to clear out the elderly from the hospitals and put them into care homes, as many were carrying the Covid-19 virus. I don't have the exact figure, but this group account for a large percentage of UK deaths.
    that didn't happen

I'm going to back W-B up here. First time for everything!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...nhs-hospitals/

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ients-11969661

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...-a4403271.html

I don't think a test was required prior to moving elderly patients into care homes until last week.

It's tough to work out what sort of figure we're talking about here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that the running total figure of deaths we hear at the daily briefings includes up to date figures for care home deaths in Scotland and Wales, but not England and Northern Ireland. So, if that's right, then the current figure of 21,092 includes care home deaths in Scotland and Wales, but not those in England and Northern Ireland from 17 April onwards - apparently, the daily figures being shown now up to that date include care home deaths in England and Northern Ireland.

With the announcement today of care home deaths for the fortnight 10-24 April, it's hard to get any accuracy on what this means for that 21,092 figure, but here's what the head of the health analysis and life events division at the ONS had to say this morning as reported in the Guardian's rolling Live COVID19 coverage;-

"Nick Stripe, head of the health analysis and life events division at the ONS, has been speaking to the BBC about today’s coronavirus death figures released this morning. He said there have now been around 27,000 excess deaths - that is more deaths than you would expect on average for this time of year - in the four most recent weeks for which figures are available.

Of the 12,000 excess deaths in the most recent week (see 9.42am), he said that around 25% of those did not involve coronavirus being mentioned on the death certificate.

He also said that there total number of coronavirus deaths in care homes in England was probably now at least 5,500 - which is higher than the official most recent ONS figure. (See 9.55am.) He explained:

In care homes we are now seeing over three times more deaths in total in care homes, in that last week, than we saw four weeks previously. And 28% of those deaths are from Covid.

Now, we’ve also taken data from the Care Quality Commission over the last few days. The Care Quality Commission collects death notifications of all deaths of care home residents. And we have been able to compare that data against our death registrations data, and it’s a good match.

So from the 10 to 17 April, for example, we can see a very close match.

If you take that data, we can see the Care Quality Commission has figures for England of 4,343 deaths in care homes between 10 and 24 April, so much more current, that’s last Friday.

And we know that we had 1,000 deaths registered in care homes prior to 10 April.

So in total we are looking at around at least 5,500 deaths in care homes in England related to Covid by 24 April."

I see from the link Veg 1960 posted at 12.17 that the Guardian is saying that this morning's figures put the total deaths figure for the UK at over 25,000 which would put us above Spain and France leaving only the USA and Italy in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    One of many flaws.

I'd have thought given the increasing number of idiots gathering there Thursday evenings, closing the bridge then would prevent social distancing being flouted.

Then again, Khan was the guy who felt it appropriate to cut the number of tube carriages meaning even though less people were on the trains, social distancing was ****ed as people jammed in...
    This is an extra special reach that deserves recognition. You need to try and take politics less personally and not get emotionally drawn in.

Closing Westminster bridge

Can’t believe this thread has been going since the 10th of March and no one has thought of the economy until now!

Can’t believe this thread has been going since the 10th of March and no one has thought of the economy until now!
    Wasn’t organ banging on about it from the start? Lots of people are still working, everyone I know anyway, hotels, bars, anything to do with tourism taking a hit for sure, shops will be open in a few weeks I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No longer required because it was extremely ill though out and badly managed.
    And not because they now have enough ventilators?

If the global economy crashes people will die in the hundreds of millions. Until you can square that circle we are heading towards an unprecedented catastrophe of epic proportions.
    You really have no clue do you. You advocate for something and then when someone presses you for detail you turn into a manchild.

100s of millions?

It is a new take because it is based on factual data. Everything preceding it was conjecture at best.
    Factual data as opposed to 'unfactual' data?

You have posted links to academic papers on covid over the last few months, are you saying they were conjecture?

If the global economy crashes people will die in the hundreds of millions. Until you can square that circle we are heading towards an unprecedented catastrophe of epic proportions.
    Do you think you will be one of them to die ?

Mark Drakeford says there has been an "overwhelming response" from Welsh companies offering to make personal protective equipment (PPE).

"We have had almost 1,000 enquiries and offers to date, half of these have been about PPE or medtech," the first minister said.

"We can’t simply rely on supplies from overseas – we have to have a homegrown supply of essential equipment.

"As part of our ongoing efforts to build up local businesses to make more of the everyday goods we use in Wales, we’ll be looking at how we can make more of the PPE we need closer to home".

"For the first time, we are self-sufficient in scrubs in Wales – we’re making 5,000 a week, bringing back overseas jobs and anchoring them in our Welsh economy."

"We have been very fortunate that we’ve had enough PPE in Wales but two items – masks and fluid-resistant gowns – are under the most pressure."
    Bit of Welsh news.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Bit of Welsh news.
    Pity he can't sort out testing which is a shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn’t organ banging on about it from the start? Lots of people are still working, everyone I know anyway, hotels, bars, anything to do with tourism taking a hit for sure, shops will be open in a few weeks I guess?
    Everyone was banging on about it from the start, I was being sarcastic.

Everyone was banging on about it from the start, I was being sarcastic.
    Oh rightio.....I should have read all 54 pages a bit more thoroughly

Where did u get this from???
    There are no figures for Care Home deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Where did u get this from???
    There are no figures for Care Home deaths.
    The ONS released some this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...in-a-fortnight

Where did hospitals get cleared out to move people to care homes?

Where did hospitals get cleared out to move people to care homes?
    In his dreams

In this debate it will always be someone else's fault .

https://mol.im/a/8256673

Looking at the stats graphs, looks like the Israeli dr was right....on its way out, down to 8 deaths here in Wales

Welsh Government prepared to go it alone;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown