+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 57 of 350 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You can laugh if you like, but you're bleating just like the Government are - see Duncan Smith's outrage at being asked the sort of question anyone defending a Government should be asked in the current situation and the use of what is supposed to be a public service information website to post their "comprehensive debunking" (I must have got it wrong because I spent about half a century thinking those two words meant something completely different to what you seem to believe they do).

Tell it like it is - a lion when it comes to telling it like it is about those on one side of the political spectrum and as gentle as a lamb when it comes to those on the other side.
    What utter crap.

I've seen Labour supporters claiming Gordon Brown chaired COBRA during foot and mouth, completely ignoring the fact that was 2001, Brown PM 2007-10.

I've seen Labour activists claiming no PPE, their own Trust saying otherwise. Doesn't mean there aren't shortages in some Trusts but media portraying it as every Trust.

I've seen Ian Lavery saying this is a great opportunity for Labour to campaign.

I've seen Labour supporters abusing CMO, deputy CMO - including misogyny.

Are the government making mistakes, probably, every government almost certainly is in an unprecedented modern event.

As for the Times, since December they've been more and more anti-Johnson. Not a fan of his, didn't vote for him as leader, but like it or not, he's PM. I suspect it's been co-ordinated and I suspect it's by a cabinet minister in particular Gove. Oh look, I've criticised a Tory there. There's in-fighting within Tories, not to the extent there is within Labour but I've little doubt some are actively briefing against the government. That briefing isn't just damaging the government as a whole, but also causing CMO, deputy CMO et al to get a lot of undeserved crap.

As for the media in general, the press conferences have been crap. Why? Because journos keep asking the same questions having been given the answer by the medical experts seconds before. Media are continually looking for a "gotcha", certain media people like Peston looking after own brand first - ie when he was schooled by deputy CMO and then played the victim on twitter.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    What utter crap.

I've seen Labour supporters claiming Gordon Brown chaired COBRA during foot and mouth, completely ignoring the fact that was 2001, Brown PM 2007-10.

I've seen Labour activists claiming no PPE, their own Trust saying otherwise. Doesn't mean there aren't shortages in some Trusts but media portraying it as every Trust.

I've seen Ian Lavery saying this is a great opportunity for Labour to campaign.

I've seen Labour supporters abusing CMO, deputy CMO - including misogyny.

Are the government making mistakes, probably, every government almost certainly is in an unprecedented modern event.

As for the Times, since December they've been more and more anti-Johnson. Not a fan of his, didn't vote for him as leader, but like it or not, he's PM. I suspect it's been co-ordinated and I suspect it's by a cabinet minister in particular Gove. Oh look, I've criticised a Tory there. There's in-fighting within Tories, not to the extent there is within Labour but I've little doubt some are actively briefing against the government. That briefing isn't just damaging the government as a whole, but also causing CMO, deputy CMO et al to get a lot of undeserved crap.

As for the media in general, the press conferences have been crap. Why? Because journos keep asking the same questions having been given the answer by the medical experts seconds before. Media are continually looking for a "gotcha", certain media people like Peston looking after own brand first - ie when he was schooled by deputy CMO and then played the victim on twitter.
    The lady on yesterday's briefing wasn't 'avin' any of it. she fronted a few of the Journalists, actually implying its abouty time they stopped trying to score points and started asking important questions.
    I like her!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The lady on yesterday's briefing wasn't 'avin' any of it. she fronted a few of the Journalists, actually implying its abouty time they stopped trying to score points and started asking important questions.
    I like her!!
    It's about time.

One of the nurses / activists was twitter user "cakeydoll", who now seems to be deleting tweets left, right and center.

https://twitter.com/CovidSkip/status...538944/photo/1

The nurse claiming her NHS Trust had no PPE seems to have been handing out NHS caliber PPE to local volunteers. I do hope she's not been stealing the "non-existent" PPR from her Trust?

And before usual suspects whine, ANY NHS staff stealing PPE either for their family or others are vermin irrespective of political persuasion.

Imagine supporting a political party like it's a football team and defending them even when they're useless. Pathetic.

As bad as supporting a political party like a football team and continually blasting the rivals, eh? Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Imagine supporting a political party like it's a football team and defending them even when they're useless. Pathetic.
    Its bizarre

International

Honest question, who would you recommend to support who have not already shown themselves to be useless?

As bad as supporting a political party like a football team and continually blasting the rivals, eh? Pathetic.
    What if the "rivals" are slavishly adherent to a political theory that you don't believe in.

this is the most right wing tory cabinet in living memory, it is not surprising that they are going to attract criticism, just like a verl left labour government would

Honest question, who would you recommend to support who have not already shown themselves to be useless?
    You don't need to support anyone, when en election comes around you vote for the party that has the whole countries best interests in their manifesto. You can even criticise the party you vote for, their is no need for unshakable loyalty.

It's why I don't get why when someone criticises the current government people respond with "but labour" so what?

Do you think someone criticising the current government for making mistakes is only doing so to "blast the rivals"?

What utter crap.

Just on this point, I saw this mentioned too and there was actually another smaller-scale outbreak of Foot-and-Mouth in 2007. And it seems Brown did chair COBRA meetings at the time:

'Speaking at 10 Downing Street after chairing the second meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee, Mr Brown said a number of inquiries had already been set up to establish the source of the disease in Surrey “within hours and days”. Asked if there was a danger of an epidemic on the scale of 2001, he said: “We are doing everything in our power to avoid a repeat of those incidents.” Mr Brown, who broke off from his holiday in Dorset to take charge of the government's response to the crisis, said he wanted to thank farmers and members of rural communities for their co-operation with official efforts to prevent the disease spreading.'

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/foot-an...ement-1-698265

No particular recollection of it and had to Google, but just posting to try to at least get the facts clear.

International

You don't need to support anyone, when en election comes around you vote for the party that has the whole countries best interests in their manifesto. You can even criticise the party you vote for, their is no need for unshakable loyalty.

It's why I don't get why when someone criticises the current government people respond with "but labour" so what?
    Thank you.

I've always voted for what I think is best for the country, but I don't think that is the norm, I think it is more likely that people vote for what's best for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    I've always voted for what I think is best for the country, but I don't think that is the norm, I think it is more likely that people vote for what's best for themselves.
    Yes I think that's true or in a lot of cases who their parents/contituency where they grew up have always voted for.

For some balance, Welsh Labour practically have demi God status in South Wales.

Plenty is devolved, health being one of them.

I never envisage a day where the conservatives get anywhere near to power in the senedd.

Seems a lot of people have a party and that's it.

Personally I've mostly voted Conservative but have probably put an x next to most parties at the ballot box over the years.

Yes I think that's true or in a lot of cases who their parents/contituency where they grew up have always voted for.
    Yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think Murdoch cares whether we have a loose cannon as PM, in fact he would almost certainly prefer it as it would help sell more papers / generate more website hits. He couldn't give a shit how well run the country is, what he doesn't want is any PM who would seek to curtail his influence.
    It’s an interesting contradiction that The Times are questioning Boris whilst another Murdoch owned shiit sheet The Sun have practically canonised him for being a silly, nonchalant dick in catching Covid19.

Murdoch has realised that Boris serves Boris and as the bumbling bean bag flip flops on any principle or policy isn’t the most stable so we’re in agreement there

It could be though, here’s my ground breaking theory, some BoJo supporters have realised the bloke is a self serving, incapable dick?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I never envisage a day where the conservatives get anywhere near to power in the senedd.

Personally I've mostly voted Conservative but have probably put an x next to most parties at the ballot box over the years.
    Maybe a lot of people in wales just think the tories don't represent Wales very well rather having a party and that's it?

If I'm honest I don't see how anyone who's Welsh or working class can vote for the tories thinking they have their best interests at heart.

Middle class and from middle/south of England I can understand it if they only have their best interests at heart.

If I was voting in my own best interests it would make sense personally for me to vote for the tories but I vote for anyone but them is better for the more vunerable members of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

The old mining generation is dying out, unions have less members these days than in the past and the modern unions seem to cater more and more for the middle classes and higher paid workers, Labour is still the number one party in South Wales but their grip is slipping all the time.

Maybe a lot of people in wales just think the tories don't represent Wales very well rather having a party and that's it?

If I'm honest I don't see how anyone who's Welsh or working class can vote for the tories thinking they have their best interests at heart.

Middle class and from middle/south of England I can understand it if they only have their best interests at heart.

If I was voting in my own best interests it would make sense personally for me to vote for the tories but I vote for anyone but them is better for the more vunerable members of the population.
    Same with me, I could never ever vote for the Tories although I would personally be quids in but like you mention I vote for the most needy people in society.

Do you think someone criticising the current government for making mistakes is only doing so to "blast the rivals"?
    I suspect there's an element to it. After all, Ian Lavery did say it's a great opportunity for Labour to campaign.

Labour get votes in Wales because that's what parents did, what grandparents did, yadda yadda.

That's why we've got a Welsh Assembly that sent letters to vulnerable people to the wrong addresses... competence isn't an issue because they always get voted in.

If a construction company failed to give a worker the correct PPE and he died would you blame the government for not having given it to him instead?
    Depends if the workers family have any legal recourse. The company shouldn't be allowed to just not give the correct PPE and if there are no consequences then that blame lies with the government as they create and maintain the regulatory environment.

Government cannot expect private companies to look after their staff to an acceptable level, they need to legislate to make sure it happens.

Heisenberg

Labour get votes in Wales because that's what parents did, what grandparents did, yadda yadda.

That's why we've got a Welsh Assembly that sent letters to vulnerable people to the wrong addresses... competence isn't an issue because they always get voted in.
    Hi mate. On the letters to the wrong addresses issue... Do you think the Labour assembly members actually wrote the addresses on the envelopes, licked the back of a stamp and personally took the letters to a post box?

Is it more likely that the admin staff, without a predetermined political stance (just like Tory voters working for the Labour-run Cardiff Council), made a f**k up on this one even though it's what they do for a living and can usually be trusted to get important mail to the correct recipients?

What competence should Drakeford, Gething et al, have shown in this instance to ensure this didn't happen? I've got a lot of gripes about the Welsh Assembly but admin staff f**king up isn't something that I'm blaming the higher ups for.

The electorate are uninformed again now are they? A theory that was temporarily suspended in 2016 when 'everybody knew what they were voting for'.