+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 290 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just read that, it's very long, but worth persevering with in my opinion because it includes quotes from people at the heart of the decision making processes and I think it tries to be fair, rather than just knocking people for the sake of it.
    Yes interesting article. Hopefully there will be more transparency on this once the situation improves.

Good to see that Astra Zeneca are joining forces with the team from Oxford who are working on a vaccine. As I said previously it is critical that we have folk with actual hands-on experience of bulk sterile products manufacturing. The prof in charge has admitted that capacity for vaccine manufacture in the UK is limited - see quote from BBC news website below. I reckon it'll take a Nightingale hospital type approach to build a facility from scratch, the planning for which is hopefully starting right now!

The partnership with AstraZeneca aims to build capacity to produce tens of millions of doses by the end of the year if the treatment is effective. "Our manufacturing capacity in the UK for vaccines isn't where it needs to be, and we're going to work together with AstraZeneca to improve that considerably," Prof Bell added. Business Secretary Alok Sharma said that the agreement was a "vital step" that could "advance" any manufacturing process. "It will also ensure that, should the vaccine being developed by Oxford University's Jenner Institute work, it will be available as early as possible, helping to protect thousands of lives from this disease," he added.

Here is a very powerful and personal piece by Tony Lloyd MP who survived Covid 19:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...saved-his-life

Worth reading!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Here is a very powerful and personal piece by Tony Lloyd MP who survived Covid 19:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...saved-his-life

Worth reading!
    Well worth reading, thanks for that

Wales will continue its testing strategy in care homes while seeking clarification on England's latest changes, the chief medical officer says.

The new strategy in England this week will mean all staff and residents in care homes can be tested for the virus.
    However the Welsh NHS is only testing those are showing symptoms.

Dr Frank Atherton said: "We're still trying to reach across to England to understand the exact rationale for the changes that they've made in various categories, given that they've made a number of changes all at the same time.

"Our approach in Wales has consistently been to follow the science, and the science is the science - it's the same across the four nations.

"So choices are made based on the interpretation of that science."

Earlier, Welsh Health Minister Vaughan Gething told a virtual meeting of the assembly's health committee he did not understand "the rationale" for how England's new testing policy would keep the public safer.
    It's amazing how "the science" seems to follow each nation's capability. When England had run out of PPE it appeared that "the science" said much less PPE was needed, now England is much further ahead in testing than Wales it's appears "the science" has separated again. There's an article in The Spectator which says next step is to follow South Korea, and reason we haven't before was that state was not equipped to do so, but we know the UK was "following the science" at at the start of March when acting very differently to South Korea - perhaps something to do with not wanting to link lack of preparation to ideological Brexit or slow response to ideological shrinking of state.

I'm bored of the catchphrases. The WHO says that testing, tracing and isolating is needed and if the UK "science" says different then don't we get to know why ours is a different interpretation? Or are we just going to become more and more WHO like not as "the science" evolves but as UK develops the capability to act that way?

The Welsh Government’s chief scientific advisor, Dr Rob Orford, has said greater testing would not have made much difference to how the coronavirus pandemic was managed in Wales.

He said the advice to socially distance, and to isolate if you or family members have symptoms, had been very effective in suppressing the spread of the disease.

And he denied that low testing numbers meant the government could not properly track the spread of coronavirus.

“We also use measures like hospital admissions, ICU beds and calls to 111,” he said.

“We have introduced the Zoe tracker app which enables people themselves to upload their symptoms. We have got over 100,000 people in Wales using that app.

“Some of the narrative in the media would suggest that we don’t have surveillance systems in place, when we do.”
    I hope people know about this and are downloading it. The more people who use it the quicker we are able to think abut easing lockdown safely.

Problems with a tracker app for me are as follows :-

1) I keep location turned off phone, suspect many do.
    2) Some won't install it because ZOMFG EVIL GOVERNMENT TRACKING ME. Look at how widely distributed bs 5G rumours have gone.
    3) If it involves people self-reporting symptoms, then that's not always accurate.

The app would be better than nothing, sure but not a panacea.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post

2) Some won't install it because ZOMFG EVIL GOVERNMENT TRACKING ME. Look at how widely distributed bs 5G rumours have gone.
    3) If it involves people self-reporting symptoms, then that's not always accurate.

Out of interest why do you have the location turned off on phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Out of interest why do you have the location turned off on phone ?
    Simply because apps I have on the phone have no real reason to geolocate.

In the case of a tracker app like this, I've no argument against it because that's an important function of the app.

It's like any software - apps need to have the minimum amount of rights to be able to provide functionality. Sending details an location to ad providers, third party companies etc for me have very little to do with apps I use.

Simply because apps I have on the phone have no real reason to geolocate.

In the case of a tracker app like this, I've no argument against it because that's an important function of the app.

It's like any software - apps need to have the minimum amount of rights to be able to provide functionality. Sending details an location to ad providers, third party companies etc for me have very little to do with apps I use.
    That is not code for being a criminal or a spy then ?

That is not code for being a criminal or a spy then ?
    Yes, Trampie, I spy on Welsh nats...

Yes, Trampie, I spy on Welsh nats...
    Who do you spy for ?

Who do you spy for ?
    I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you.

I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you.
    Intriguing.

Drawing a comparison between someone attacking 5g masts because they heard it causes covid-19 and someone not installing an app because they don't think the government should store data on their 24/7 movements is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Drawing a comparison between someone attacking 5g masts because they heard it causes covid-19 and someone not installing an app because they don't think the government should store data on their 24/7 movements is dumb.
    Not really.

Those not wanting the app because MUH THEY STALKING ME, SELLING MY LOCATION AND DETAILS are akin to those believing the 5G shit willing to believe any shit conspiracy.

The aim of the tracking app is specifically to track those with symptoms. It needs the location otherwise the app has no use whatsoever.

Not really.

Those not wanting the app because MUH THEY STALKING ME, SELLING MY LOCATION AND DETAILS are akin to those believing the 5G shit willing to believe any shit conspiracy.

The aim of the tracking app is specifically to track those with symptoms. It needs the location otherwise the app has no use whatsoever.
    It doesn't need location. It could function with Bluetooth only, and track which other phones with Bluetooth on/app installed that you've gone within a certain distance of.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It doesn't need location. It could function with Bluetooth only, and track which other phones with Bluetooth on/app installed that you've gone within a certain distance of.
    To effective trace, you'd need to know precise where people are - Bluetooth doesn't prvide location data to best of my knowledge?

To effective trace, you'd need to know precise where people are - Bluetooth doesn't prvide location data to best of my knowledge?
    I know that the Singapore tracing app uses bluetooth and not location.

Like you, I don't like having the location switched on all the time either. Bluetooth would be preferable.

Not really.

What do you mean by 'it needs the location'? The debate is around centralisation or decentralisation of the information collected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uB4...1uMd3erGu/view

'Everyone who disagrees with my uninformed view is a conspiracy theorist' isn't going to get you very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What do you mean by 'it needs the location'? The debate is around centralisation or decentralisation of the information collected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uB4...1uMd3erGu/view

'Everyone who disagrees with my uninformed view is a conspiracy theorist' isn't going to get you very far.
    Without centralisation, you end up with disparate data sets. Ok, say one region has contact tracing for South Wales - what happens as people move across boundaries?

I'm saying those who believe the 5G shit, believe the app data will be used by EVVVVIIILLLL government forces tend to be conspiracy theorists.

Still, we've got your informed view to rely on.

Without centralisation, you end up with disparate data sets. Ok, say one region has contact tracing for South Wales - what happens as people move across boundaries?

I'm saying those who believe the 5G shit, believe the app data will be used by EVVVVIIILLLL government forces tend to be conspiracy theorists.

An element of GDPR is based on holding necessary data no longer than is needed so presumably there are people all over the country thinking about data collection and storage without making them conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    An element of GDPR is based on holding necessary data no longer than is needed so presumably there are people all over the country thinking about data collection and storage without making them conspiracy theorists.
    Any data should be collected under GDPR, however completely anonymous data isn't subject to GDPR.

Without seeing the app, if it generates unique ID with no identifying data other than say phone number, there's next to no personal data involved. If u enter name, address etcthen that data will as always be subject to GDPR.

So you will be taking the same action as conspiracy theorists ?